Sam Richardson, Act II

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I was in the stands and was surprised to discover after the game that Sam hit on fewer than 50 percent of his passes (Geno was 22-31-0=236 yards, 2 tds; 71% completion and 7.6 ypa). Geno is a senior, Sam a rFr making his first-ever start. And, often, the failure of our rushing game on first down put Sam in a number of obvious passing downs.

You know, who woulda guessed that Sam would outrush Tavon Austin?
Sam 18-119 = 6.61 ypc
Austin 14-74 = 5.28 ypc

Watching Sam from the stands yesterday, I think what I most liked about his game is his field leadership. Seemed unflappable, seemed to have a high football IQ the way he appeared to be in control.

But, what a nice arm he does have. Just think of the growth he can make between now and next fall, with the bowl practices, bowl game, and spring ball all coming up. We can only hope, too, that he'll have strong competition for the job from Grant Rohach. That'll be key to his development, too.
So now when we hear next year it was a duel at qb and that things are impressive in practice, it might be true?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
So now when we hear next year it was a duel at qb and that things are impressive in practice, it might be true?

I'd bet it was true. Jantz could be a thrilling player, recall his first three games of 2011. Barnett has had moments, too. TTech and OSU in 2011, TCU this fall. What's not to believe that the QB duel of recent times was not real?

This fall, Jantz boosted his completion rate 10 percent over 2011 (62.2%;Sam finished at 62.1). Sam's QB rating is 41 points better than Jantz's, though (SJ 13 tds, 11 ints; SR 7 tds, 0 ints).
Iowa State Cyclones 2012 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - College Football - ESPN

Heck, yeah, I believe there has been a heated QB battle the past two years. You calling CPR a liar?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Was Sam "hurt" during the game at all? A couple times he got hit and looked a little "bell rung" getting up . . . maybe just his first big D1 hits?

I think he just had the **** beat out of him. He hasn't likely gotten hit much for two years either. He took some punishment this game and I was impressed by his toughness as much as anything. I don't really get being so high on him when he went against an awful pass defense and only completed 42% of his passes. If JB does that, he's probably getting lit up today. I think Sam possesses all of the tools but I'm not going to say the WVU was great reason to think he is going to be a star. KU, yes, WVU, absolutely not.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think he just had the **** beat out of him. He hasn't likely gotten hit much for two years either. He took some punishment this game and I was impressed by his toughness as much as anything. I don't really get being so high on him when he went against an awful pass defense and only completed 42% of his passes. If JB does that, he's probably getting lit up today. I think Sam possesses all of the tools but I'm not going to say the WVU was great reason to think he is going to be a star. KU, yes, WVU, absolutely not.
SR has more touch on his passes than JT, SJ, and JB combined. He has Tom Brady moves in the pocket. He runs like Chase Daniels. He showed touch like Peyton manning. He showed stage presence like Colin. He can throw hard if asked. With more practice, we could be a great screen play team with James White. Anything else needed? Yes, people, we have a qb finally.

If I was playing the Clones, I would not want to see SR on the field at this point. Grant needs to be really good to compete with SR next year from what little we saw.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
SR has more touch on his passes than JT, SJ, and JB combined. He has Tom Brady moves in the pocket. He runs like Chase Daniels. He showed toucvh like Peyton manning. He showed stage presence like Colin. He can throw hard if asked. With more practice, we could be a great screen play team with James White. Anything else needed? Yes, people, we have a qb finally.

If I was playing the Clones, I would not want to see SR on the field at this point. Grant needs to be really good to compete with SR next year from what little we saw.
Bartender, I'll take what he's having!

There are posters here who think the above is 100% accurate though. :confused:

onenation

Jun 23, 2012
Iowa
SR has more touch on his passes than JT, SJ, and JB combined. He has Tom Brady moves in the pocket. He runs like Chase Daniels. He showed toucvh like Peyton manning. He showed stage presence like Colin. He can throw hard if asked. With more practice, we could be a great screen play team with James White. Anything else needed? Yes, people, we have a qb finally.

I think it's a little early to be calling Sam the Peyton manning-Tom Brady of Iowa state football haha. While I think he had an amazing game against KU and a semi impressive game against WV, we haven't seen him against a legit pass defense. He no doubt has the edge going into the offseason, but I wouldn't write off Jared and Grant just yet. With Jared, we know he can do great things he just needs some work. And we haven't even seen grant yet.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think it's a little early to be calling Sam the Peyton manning-Tom Brady of Iowa state football haha. While I think he had an amazing game against KU and a semi impressive game against WV, we haven't seen him against a legit pass defense. He no doubt has the edge going into the offseason, but I wouldn't write off Jared and Grant just yet. With Jared, we know he can do great things he just needs some work. And we haven't even seen grant yet.
I was comparing him to what we have seen as qbs for us the past ten years. We have not had anyone with his touch since Seneca. You watch. Our offense will be worth ten more points a game next year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I was comparing him to what we have seen as qbs for us the past ten years. We have not had anyone with his touch since Seneca. You watch. Our offense will be worth ten more points a game next year.

Our offense was worth 10 more points a game at least, this year, with SR in the game. Too bad we fumbled the ball at the goal line and didn't tie up the game. We were in a decent position. Wonder what the perception would be if we had won the game.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

He completed 42% of his passes with two that should have been picked against an awful defense. Let's not get carried away.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Geno Smith couldn't throw the ball today either if you noticed? A 30 mph wind might have had something to do with that? And no, I don't really count a little dump off to the most dangerous guy in college football who takes it 60 yds or whatever it was to the house as Geno Smith making a great pass. Richardson's pass into the wind to Bundrage was a great pass. I didn't see any real good passes by Geno today for the most part.

Richardson is going to be a good one.

Im thinking this had a bit to do with it. A couple catchable balls dropped. Just looking at his line 13/31 162 isn't that impressive, but the wind really affected the passing game. It was why WVU's ability to pound the ball with their big back Alston was so important.

KU dropped one easy pick 6, and WVU almost had a couple, but you could say that about any QB playing on Saturdays.

Last edited:

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
He completed 42% of his passes with two that should have been picked against an awful defense. Let's not get carried away.
Arnaud and McCann were both impressed by him. They said the toughest elements possible are cold and winds as strong as Friday. I can't imagine how low the completion would have been for the other two quarterbacks in those extreme elements.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The pass that most impressed me was the TD to Bundrage--into the wind. Perfect strike.

He also has a tendency--most of the time--to hit his receivers in stride. Been a while since we've seen that with regularity from a Cyclone QB. It's going to be an interesting Spring practice--with a stop at a Bowl along the way.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
The pass that most impressed me was the TD to Bundrage--into the wind. Perfect strike.

He also has a tendency--most of the time--to hit his receivers in stride. Been a while since we've seen that with regularity from a Cyclone QB. It's going to be an interesting Spring practice--with a stop at a Bowl along the way.
Exactly. Who was the last QB we had who hit a receiver in stride? It seems like all the passes the past few years were anti-YAC.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
Exactly. Who was the last QB we had who hit a receiver in stride? It seems like all the passes the past few years were anti-YAC.
Could not agree more. Every Jantz pass was 2 feet off the ground and the wide out had to lay down to catch it. The other factor is our less than physically gifted receivers. We just don't have the receivers like Austin, Blackmon, Williams(baylor), or others that can get a catch and make multiple people miss. We probably aren't going to see many of them at ISU either.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How about the time he tried to stiff arm the defender? Probably should have put both hands on the ball. Still fun to see him get aggressive in running.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
How about the time he tried to stiff arm the defender? Probably should have put both hands on the ball. Still fun to see him get aggressive in running.

I noticed that as well. Richardson seems like a very aggressive runner. He took a few hits when he easily could've just slid.
After the Jantz experience, I get nervous anytime I see this, but if he can hold onto the ball and not overdo it, then I'm all for it. Make opponents respect the QB run.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Imagine Sammy with an above average line... compared to what we have on the field this year. That has me exCYted.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Imagine Sammy with an above average line... compared to what we have on the field this year. That has me exCYted.

If you think the line sucks this year, why do you expect it to be any better next year? It will have the same pieces, with one new young player plugged in, and the same coaches.

For the record, I don't think our OL is below average.