RV Parking disaster?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Simple solution for the 5th wheel crowd...Buy one of these tractors and mount a 5th wheel plate:

ups_mack.jpg

:wink:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Possible. But WHERE? Then you are displacing a lot of fans who drive regular vehicles and make decent donations to park in reserved lots and buy a lot of tickets. We are losing space with the SEZ expansion. The question is how many of these supersized RV's are really out there. And have we had problems with regular RV's pulling big trailers behind them as well which takes up a lot of room. 45 feet is a helluva lot of room. Especially when you consider the turning radius and room needed to maneuver such large rigs. Add on more length and the requirements are even greater. IMO, that is a lot of the problem.

They opened C-2 to RVs last year (just south of Hilton and still north of Center). They had tons of room. Plenty of space for long vehicles there. It isn't right next to Jack Trice, but it might be a way for you to get a waiver while they still enforce it for the other RV lots.

Last edited:

scronbau

Oct 28, 2011
Raymond, IA
No, I'm wondering WHY they use them for tailgating.

Because the atmosphere is second to none. I have all my crap in it at all times. We come from Waterloo, and with the friends and family that are coming from all over the state it's a great place to get together.

Plus, porta potties and hotels suck.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Because the atmosphere is second to none. I have all my crap in it at all times. We come from Waterloo, and with the friends and family that are coming from all over the state it's a great place to get together.

Plus, porta potties and hotels suck.

Oh right and this.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Playing devils advocate (always fun), some people are saying "if I can't bring my truck and RV/trailor then screw you ISU, I'm not going to football games anymore.". I understand the frustration I've taken RVs into the lot too and its great, but not everything is about me.. well it is but..

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
My "34.5'" 5th wheel with the truck attached is 51' Been using the RV lots for the better part of 10 years. I'm now not legal, and based on the rule, and my discussions with the athletic department in the last 2 days will not be able to use an RV pass.

While I agree that something needed to be done, this is shortsighted and effectively pushes out the majority of people with 5th wheels and travel trailers. Its hard to get under the 45' when you have to include the length of the truck.

I'm very disappointed that this is the solution that they've come up with.

What solution would you propose? Honestly, just curious. Don't have a dog in the fight but limited space and growing RVs means people will get squeezed out.

If you bought a pass but couldn't find a place to park because some people brought up behemoth RVs, wouldn't you be upset? And to whom would you direct your frustration?

scronbau

Oct 28, 2011
Raymond, IA
What solution would you propose? Honestly, just curious. Don't have a dog in the fight but limited space and growing RVs means people will get squeezed out.

If you bought a pass but couldn't find a place to park because some people brought up behemoth RVs, wouldn't you be upset? And to whom would you direct your frustration?

See my later post. Eliminate the extra trailers that people pull in. That to me is the biggest issue, not the length of the camping vehicle itself, its the 24' enclosed car trailer behind the 40' diesel pusher...or the bar trailer behind the camper, smokers on 20' car trailers, cars being pulled in on car trailers, etc.

Limit it camping vehicles themselves.

The lots had plenty of room this year. This isn't intended to add any additional RV spots. I just think they need to come up with a system where someone with a pickup truck and a camper can be legal. Most will fall over the 45' limit only by a few feet.

Again a quick survey would let you know what kind of space the lot is dealing with. Right now, they're just guessing. There are a lot of vehicles (motor homes, and buses) that are well under the limit. I wish I could "borrow" the 6' that I need that from the other member of our group who has extra. Or as other people have mentioned, if I had to pay extra for that 6', that would be a decision I'd have to make (most likely I would pay extra)

I started in the lot when it was a $250 donation and that's all it took. Done, you're in. The program has grown and with that success (Which is a good thing!!) I have to pay more, just like the car lots, sucks, but that's part of it.

My frustration is that there is no way that I can now have a pass (with my current equipment, that is also used camping, and at the state fair)

And I'm not too worried about not getting in because the lot is full. We're always there on Friday afternoons, and typically stay until Sunday.

If I were in charge, I'd also make a rule that you have to be in the RV lot prior to 3 hrs before kickoff. Nothing sucks more than having to take down and move your tailgate because someone is coming in 45 min prior to kickoff.

Anyway, I know I'm just yelling in the wind. Thanks for letting me yell.

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
They just revised their policy as follows:

The maximum space allowed in the RV parking lots for an RV or party bus will remain at 45 feet (this will accommodate the largest RV models made as well as most party buses). This 45 foot maximum includes any trailers or pull-behinds from an RV or party bus.·Any 5th wheel, travel trailer or pull-behind that is attached to the vehicle that pulls them (i.e. an automobile, SUV or pick-up truck) has a limit of 45 feet as measured from the end of pulling vehicle. You will be allowed up to 45 feet for your pull-behind, the pull vehicle will not be included in the length measurement.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
They just revised their policy as follows:

The maximum space allowed in the RV parking lots for an RV or party bus will remain at 45 feet (this will accommodate the largest RV models made as well as most party buses). This 45 foot maximum includes any trailers or pull-behinds from an RV or party bus.·Any 5th wheel, travel trailer or pull-behind that is attached to the vehicle that pulls them (i.e. an automobile, SUV or pick-up truck) has a limit of 45 feet as measured from the end of pulling vehicle. You will be allowed up to 45 feet for your pull-behind, the pull vehicle will not be included in the length measurement.

so the sky is only falling in Indiana?

-keep