Running Back Situation

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
we need help at the qb position.not impressed with our presnt qbs except for bates due to his speed.can bates throw the ball??? arnaud
obtained some playing time this year.can he be a stud like daniels at mizzou ,reesing at the fatman's kansas bunch and as good as bradford at oklahoma. the new recruits at qb- not tested- i think the louisiana kid could be a surprise at qb- i think tiller will end up at another position. i would like to see bates turn into a senaca
wallace and be able to complete short dump
passes like texas tech does or take the ball to the bank on a spread option play.cheers!!!!!

AlanAldaClone

Apr 17, 2006
we need help at the qb position.not impressed with our presnt qbs except for bates due to his speed.can bates throw the ball??? arnaud
obtained some playing time this year.can he be a stud like daniels at mizzou ,reesing at the fatman's kansas bunch and as good as bradford at oklahoma. the new recruits at qb- not tested- i think the louisiana kid could be a surprise at qb- i think tiller will end up at another position. i would like to see bates turn into a senaca
wallace and be able to complete short dump
passes like texas tech does or take the ball to the bank on a spread option play.cheers!!!!!

What exactly was it about Arnaud that you weren't impressed with? That 90-yard drive with the game still in doubt against Kansas State? Or the equally clutch drive for a FG after K-state had started its comeback?

When Arnaud got in there, he impressed the hell out of me. Trouble is, he was injured for a good part of the season and didn't get near as many snaps as I'm sure the coaches would have liked.

What I saw from Arnaud was a guy with a stronger arm than Meyer, a guy who can run better than Meyer, a guy who takes off faster than Meyer when he decides to run and a guy who makes quicker decisions than Meyer, both in the passing game (which will lead to fewer sacks) and running game (which will lead to fewer rushes for little or no gain by the QB.) Meyer looked like he was pulling a plow when he decided to run until he got up to speed.

I also think Arnaud handles the ball more slickly than Meyer did. Meyer's play-action passes fooled no one. There's at least a little doubt in your mind when Arnaud fakes the handoff to the RB that the RB may have the ball.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
Mark my words.... this will be the best recruiting class we have seen in the last ten years. Chizik is keeping the names hidden until signing day. He's getting athletes. This class will be good. No more speculating until signing day.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the zone blocking scheme required very good lineman and a very, very good running back to be successful. Cotton wasn't here long enough to condemn him one way or the other, but the fact is that the line this year made a quantum leap over his lines, with no more stability or returning starters than he had to work with.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What exactly was it about Arnaud that you weren't impressed with? That 90-yard drive with the game still in doubt against Kansas State? Or the equally clutch drive for a FG after K-state had started its comeback?

When Arnaud got in there, he impressed the hell out of me. Trouble is, he was injured for a good part of the season and didn't get near as many snaps as I'm sure the coaches would have liked.

What I saw from Arnaud was a guy with a stronger arm than Meyer, a guy who can run better than Meyer, a guy who takes off faster than Meyer when he decides to run and a guy who makes quicker decisions than Meyer, both in the passing game (which will lead to fewer sacks) and running game (which will lead to fewer rushes for little or no gain by the QB.) Meyer looked like he was pulling a plow when he decided to run until he got up to speed.

I also think Arnaud handles the ball more slickly than Meyer did. Meyer's play-action passes fooled no one. There's at least a little doubt in your mind when Arnaud fakes the handoff to the RB that the RB may have the ball.

I agree with you about Arnaud. He is very adept at carrying out his fakes. Meyer didn't even go through the motions of carrying out a fake. And Arnaud had a pretty good arm from what I saw. I was impressed.

AlanAldaClone

Apr 17, 2006
Mark my words.... this will be the best recruiting class we have seen in the last ten years. Chizik is keeping the names hidden until signing day. He's getting athletes. This class will be good. No more speculating until signing day.

I just have to comment on this. How do you think he's keeping the names silent? We already know 19 of them and chances are we already know the names of the final six too. Most of them are probably visiting this weekend.

This class is currently ranked 64th in the country. The remaining six players would have to be a spectacular six (six 5-stars) to make it the best class in the last 10 years. And there just aren't any of those kinds of players on our radar. The highest rated remaining recruit is Sedrick Johnson, a 4-star WR, and he's the only 4-star on our list.

All coaching staffs have to keep quiet on recruits because it's an NCAA violation to do otherwise. So I don't think Chizik's doing anything different than what every other coach in the country is doing.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I agree with you about Arnaud. He is very adept at carrying out his fakes. Meyer didn't even go through the motions of carrying out a fake. And Arnaud had a pretty good arm from what I saw. I was impressed.

I think you guys left out the most important thing - Austin has a quicker release. I originally thought that Bret had trouble seeing his open receivers. The more I watched, the more I think that he was able to find them but didn't have a quick enough release to get it to them before the defenders closed in. I also think that is where the perceived lack of confidence came from. He saw the receivers but couldn't get the ball to them quick enough so he wouldn't pull the trigger.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

Couldnt agree more, i was the biggest Meyer fan out there....but, after seeing Arnaud in there even I was simply left to wonder what the season would have been like had he started the whole season.....

One thing i hope for is that Arnaud can actually look at one receiver and if covered move to a second receiver.....If i see him do that just once in the spring game even if its incomplete, i will simply jump up and down and scream at the top of my lungs.....thats what was so frustrating for me, was watching meyers head look at his #1 receiver and simply keep looking, keep looking, keep looking and then throw....Well, i can honestly say, every team we played against when watching film instructed their safety's to read his head and react......why on earth did 90% of the plays get made by the safety.....

The safety didnt have to worry about him reading the guy's covered, lets look at #2, oh wow, he's wide open!!!!!!

If AA gives us just the ability to move through the progression, and everything else above listed by AAlda, our qb position is set - sorry bates, its out wide for you, which by the way is where your gonna make it at the next level anyway......Bet he won't tell a team not to draft him unless he can play qb.....look at the future Phillip, you could be a stud WR or Safety....

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
It's Bass. Robinson will give him a run for his money, but I can't see it being anyone but him. Then he'll take over after JJ is gone and take care of things.

He does have a lot of potential, but JJ has the right build and tools for Big 12 football.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Split the bulk of the carries right down the middle between Bass and Robinson, IMO. At least game plan that way. During the game, whatever back is hot - gets more carries. If after the first few games that one back is the same person, then adjust and plan to give that back the ball more often.

IMO, there is not a big enough gap between the 2 backs to have a clear-cut starter. And there's no need for such when you have a pair that both can make things happen.

And, can't forget Scales - although I think he's 3rd behind the other 2...but should still see the field.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I think we will run a really balanced attack, have JJ in on 1st down, either/or on 2nd, and Alexander in on 3rd down, due to his home run ability.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I think the coaches will try several different looks with both backs, and stick with what's working best or whatever the defense is giving them on a given day.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
I think we will run a really balanced attack, have JJ in on 1st down, either/or on 2nd, and Alexander in on 3rd down, due to his home run ability.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

A lot of NFL teams use that system, put a power back in to wear the D down and when they look tired enough, send the quick one out on a toss down the sideline...TD.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hope Robinson is in on passing downs, imo, from what we saw last year he's a lot better at catching the ball and running with it. Much like Arnaud though, I'm a big A-Rob guy and I think he can have a special career here.