Rumor so far: Ferentz will "welcome back" Anthony Bowman

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
When you've got 15 or 20 convicted criminals on your team already, what's one more?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Here's one thing to consider.....Bowman did play, what about the backup long snapper from late last year that pee'd in public and then resisted arrest....uhhh that guy got kicked off the team and will not return....This is favoritism at its best....If Bowman was a walk on type player he wouldnt have a chance....but i guarantee you that EIU staff knows that this kid will fill a hole that they need help at or he wouldnt be coming back...its all about them winning ........He has to go to a bowl this year or he will be forced out.....remember you heard it here first.....No big bowl, he's fired - son playing or not......

Then one other thing to anyone being critical.....One of my favorite players for our clones of all time was Jason Berryman and we let him back on the team - because why - umm he was a very good ball player......We shouldnt be critical of them letting anyone back on the field after our previous coaching staff allowed a player that had actually assaulted fellow students over 4 dollars and a cell phone back on the team.......i know it was the previous staff, but it was still our Cyclones that he suited up for.....

Bowman wont be a difference maker anyway - that will be Jake Christiansen and i know he caught a lot of flack but, considering they lost 3 of their top 5 WR during the season, i thought he did a pretty good job as a first year starter...besides, any EIU qb that cannot beat ISU, i want that qb leading those black and yellow terds onto the field!!!!

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Re: Ferentz will "welcome back" Anthony Bowman

This isn't special treatment for an athlete. It's called a deferred judgment, and it's a common part of a plea agreement used by prosecutors all across the country. Basically, if you have a clean record and the prosecutor feels you're a low risk to be a repeat offender, they'll offer a deferred judgment -- and, consequently, a clean record following completion of probation -- as an incentive for the defendant to enter a guilty plea. Trust me, the prosecutors were not cutting Bowman any special favors with this deal.

Who was the prosecutor for this case? Was it the ex-hawkeye football player?

Last edited:

DJKHawk

Dec 22, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Here's one thing to consider.....Bowman did play, what about the backup long snapper from late last year that pee'd in public and then resisted arrest....uhhh that guy got kicked off the team and will not return....This is favoritism at its best....If Bowman was a walk on type player he wouldnt have a chance....but i guarantee you that EIU staff knows that this kid will fill a hole that they need help at or he wouldnt be coming back...its all about them winning ........He has to go to a bowl this year or he will be forced out.....remember you heard it here first.....No big bowl, he's fired - son playing or not......

The player you speak of was Clint Huntrods, a starter, not a "backup." He was "charged" with public intox, public urination, and interference with official acts (running from police). I honestly don't know what to say if you truly believe this is "favoritism at its best."

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Re: Ferentz will "welcome back" Anthony Bowman

Who was the prosecutor for this case? Was it the ex-hawkeye football player?
The "ex-hawkeye football player" (Matt Petrzelka) was Bowman's defense attorney, not the prosecutor. I personally don't care whether the prosecutor wanted to throw the book at Bowman or not, but as someone with some familiarity about how the justice system works, I can assure you that Bowman's deferred judgment had nothing to do with "Hawkeye homer" prosecutors. This kind of sentence is pretty standard procedure in a case like this, and pretty much any defendant around Bowman's age, and with his lack of a significant criminal record, would be a typical candidate for a deferred judgment.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The player you speak of was Clint Huntrods, a starter, not a "backup." He was "charged" with public intox, public urination, and interference with official acts (running from police). I honestly don't know what to say if you truly believe this is "favoritism at its best."

Huntrods was the backup deep snapper. Hardly someone anyone would call a starter. Don't hash your credibility, dude.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Huntrods was the backup deep snapper. Hardly someone anyone would call a starter. Don't hash your credibility, dude.

There's a difference between what Bowman did, and what Huntrods did. Bowman pleaded guilty, and faced the crime. Huntrods disgraced his name by urinating in public, and avoiding arrest by running away from the cops.

Obviously your bias against the Hawks is clouding your view, but come on. Let us not forget that Bowman was a backup WR, and had yet to play any significant minutes.

So I guess it's favoritism to allow one backup (not a starter) to return to the team after he works his way back, and kick one backup off who disgraced himself and the university. Exposing yourself in public and avoiding the punishment is a different situation than using a stolen credit card and then re-paying your debt to society.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Lets not kid ourselves here - Bowman's impact on the '07 season was going to be far greater than the impact Huntrods was going to have.

One crime is a felony and the other is not. Also, one crime is premeditated and the other is most certainly a spurt of the moment issue.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
There's a difference between what Bowman did, and what Huntrods did. Bowman pleaded guilty, and faced the crime. Huntrods disgraced his name by urinating in public, and avoiding arrest by running away from the cops.

Yeah, I'm sure as soon as Bowman committed the crime he went to the cops and confessed everything. He only plead guilty because he already got caught red-handed and was pleaing down to a lesser charge.

And so what if he was urinating in public. Who amongst us has not urinated in public?

Last edited:

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Lets not kid ourselves here - Bowman's impact on the '07 season was going to be far greater than the impact Huntrods was going to have.

One crime is a felony and the other is not. Also, one crime is premeditated and the other is most certainly a spurt of the moment issue.
...so to speak. :wink:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What Huntrods did is a crime and whether or not you or I have done it - should not decrease what he did. The worst part about it was when he ran from the officers.

But the fact is - Bowman > Huntrods.

Both in the crime he committed and the impact he could have on the team.

And yes, the pun in my previous post was deliberate. ;)

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
ISU has done this before, so any mocking to the Hawks to me is hypercritical. Also, if indeed he has done the time for his actions, then he deserves another shot. Many people get multiple chances in their lives and he deserves the same. I see this now as having a child. Your not going to ever disown them just because they broke the law. Ferentz recruited these kids to play and get an education, they deserve it back as long as they confess and pay their dues.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Pssst....I wasn't a fan of Berryman getting a second chance and would not have been against Mike Taylor not getting that final chance that he screwed up.

I am an equal opportunity mocker. :)

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
it just shows how desperate captain kirk is getting over in Icky City... he knows that in the next year or 2 chizik is gonna be out recruiting him and beat him all the time... he's just doing everything he can to get all the talent he can have to try and beat us this year.... and it still wont happen

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And that's what's always given the Hawk fans a bad name - and amused me about them. They don't even know their own team well enough to discuss them intelligently.

But kudos to you, DJKHawk, for coming back and taking your crow like a man. :wink:

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I can see this being a tough decision. Ferentz is trying to reinvent the discipline standards at this school and would allowing a past offender help the cause.

I really think it can. Although the problems did arise, you can set a prime example that crap wont be delt with, but second chances can be won as long as you show the maturity by learning from one's actions.

Would I have let Berryman back on the team? Looking at who Dan Mac was as a person, I truely believe the right decision was made. You look at Chizik now and what he stands for and I have no doubt the Berryman wouldn't have come back. People have different ways of getting across the message to their players.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I can see this being a tough decision. Ferentz is trying to reinvent the discipline standards at this school and would allowing a past offender help the cause.

I really think it can. Although the problems did arise, you can set a prime example that crap wont be delt with, but second chances can be won as long as you show the maturity by learning from one's actions.

Would I have let Berryman back on the team? Looking at who Dan Mac was as a person, I truely believe the right decision was made. You look at Chizik now and what he stands for and I have no doubt the Berryman wouldn't have come back. People have different ways of getting across the message to their players.

If you give people second chances (and more), it sets a precedent that the rest of the players have a free pass to do whatever they want -- and if they get in trouble, just act remorseful and get another chance. As you wrote, that's Ferentz' method and the past year of his football team making a steady parade through jails and courthouses shows that it doesn't work -- and it has to be a distraction and hurt on-field performance.

I'll take Chizik's toughness. Make an example of a player or two and it sets the right precedent, and pays off in the long run.

Help Support Us

Become a patron