Rumor going around in StL

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If you are unable to comprehend or understand what Brian Smith has done for Mizzouri wrestling and you don't think he's an outstanding head coach you don't know wrestling. This was more or less a down year for them and they won the Big 12 title.

I'm able to comprehend that they got a couple of upsets in Columbia in order to win that title, and then proceeded to go ZERO FOR TEN at nationals. That includes a 3 seed and a 6 seed.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'm able to comprehend that they got a couple of upsets in Columbia in order to win that title, and then proceeded to go ZERO FOR TEN at nationals. That includes a 3 seed and a 6 seed.

Imagine what the posts here would be like if that would have happened to an ISU coach...

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Pollard has shown he has an itchy trigger finger. I'd be surprised if KJ is not fired.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

News flash: He's been the head coach there for more than just one season. That program was NO WHERE when they hired him. What he's done at Mizzou is nothong short of outstanding. Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the country.

If you don't know the above you just don't know wrestling. Period.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
News flash: He's been the head coach there for more than just one season. That program was NO WHERE when they hired him. What he's done at Mizzou is nothong short of outstanding. Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the country.

If you don't know the above you just don't know wrestling. Period.

I know where Missouri was. I know where Missouri is.

Brian Smith had to build more or less from scratch. It took him 14 years to win a conference title, then when he did, and advanced EVERY WRESTLER to nationals, they still put up a goose egg.

You're on here, vilifying a coach in his third year, who is essentially building a program from scratch. Now put on your trollerskates and roll away.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I have noticed a lot of people throwing out their opinion on ISU wrestling today. I'm wondering how many of these people are donors and/or season ticket holders. I understand that on a message board anyone can give their opinion, but it's pretty meaningless if you aren't invested.

For the record, I have gotten much more interested in ISU wrestling over the past 5 years or so, but I am certainly no expert on anything and I'm not a season ticket holder.

We'll have to trust Pollard on what needs to be done. I believe he has proven he is capable of making good decisions.
Just going on the surface, we have dropped back an extreme amount. It is like we are in the current homebuilding recession. We have a long ways to get well.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
News flash: He's been the head coach there for more than just one season. That program was NO WHERE when they hired him. What he's done at Mizzou is nothong short of outstanding. Smith is one of the most respected coaches in the country. If you don't know the above you just don't know wrestling. Period.
I know where Missouri was. I know where Missouri is.Brian Smith had to build more or less from scratch. It took him 14 years to win a conference title, then when he did, and advanced EVERY WRESTLER to nationals, they still put up a goose egg.You're on here, vilifying a coach in his third year, who is essentially building a program from scratch. Now put on your trollerskates and roll away.

+1. I love the fact that neicyfan is trying to compare coaches. One coach was givin time to build a program, yet he is giving our coach no time to build our program here. Stay in St louis and start crap down there. You would fit in Missouri by the sounds of it.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
+1. I love the fact that neicyfan is trying to compare coaches. One coach was givin time to build a program, yet he is giving our coach no time to build our program here. Stay in St louis and start crap down there. You would fit in Missouri by the sounds of it.

Comparing the Missouri's program pre-Smith to our program pre-KJ might be one of the worst comparisons in the history of the internet. Really?

I just threw the guys name out and getting bogged down in comparisons deflects from the issue at hand. Our program didn't need to be "built." KJ has 3 seasons in the books and we have gotten decidedly worse each year. We are in 35th place at the NCAA tournament and he's given us little reason to think we'll be in the top 10 anytime soon.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Neicyfan..how did our system not need to be built. KJ got a few leftovers here when Cael left. He took recruits and others that transferred to Penn St. This program needed built badly. You sir just made yourself look stupid. You are the one that needs to stop cause you have no clue what your talking about.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Neicyfan..how did our system not need to be built. KJ got a few leftovers here when Cael left. He took recruits and others that transferred to Penn St. This program needed built badly. You sir just made yourself look stupid. You are the one that needs to stop cause you have no clue what your talking about.

It depend on one's definition of "rebuild." The program was still on solid footing and it's national name was very good. We did well KJ's first year and had several titlists. Yes, we lost some guys but he's had 3 classes to restock the program with talent but instead of improving we keep getting worse. He hasn't parlayed that year 1 success into having a good wrestling program. We have fallen much further than we should have fallen.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It depend on one's definition of "rebuild." The program was still on solid footing and it's national name was very good. We did well KJ's first year and had several titlists. Yes, we lost some guys but he's had 3 classes to restock the program with talent but instead of improving we keep getting worse. He hasn't parlayed that year 1 success into having a good wrestling program. We have fallen much further than we should have fallen.

You're so full of ****, your eyes must be brown.

He was hired AFTER the 2009-10 class had been signed. Taylor went with Cael. Macchiaroli went to ASU. Weatherman stayed. Beard stayed, left, and came back. He also lost Cyler (transfer) before 09-10, and Long (knucklehead) after 09-10.

The 2010-11 class is this year's true soph/RS frosh.
The 2011-12 class is this year's true frosh.

There were SIX juniors/seniors on the roster this year: Simonson (INJ), Ward (INJ), Spangler (INJ), Mayfield (INJ), Gibson (Juco) and Sorenson.

The 2012-13 class is still in high school.

That is called building from scratch.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
You really think that?

In his first season he got 3rd. We had a lot of momentum. Where did it all go?

Don't give me the "we're young" and "woe is me, he didn't have time to recruit" stuff. Penn State, Minnesota and Iowa are all young, too. There are a bevy of recruits from the last two classes making impact and getting on the podium. None of ours even got to the round of 12.

The question is why we weren't able to get those kids and/or why we weren't able to develop them.

You know, the real issue here probably isn't KJ. Jamie hired a college wrestling coaching neophyte to run the program. In hindsight it was probably just a bad hire.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Are you freakin kidding me?! They graduated or left! Everyone that finished high were left from Cael. Jesus...next time u want to argue at least pick a topic u know what the hell your talking about.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I have noticed a lot of people throwing out their opinion on ISU wrestling today. I'm wondering how many of these people are donors and/or season ticket holders. I understand that on a message board anyone can give their opinion, but it's pretty meaningless if you aren't invested. For the record, I have gotten much more interested in ISU wrestling over the past 5 years or so, but I am certainly no expert on anything and I'm not a season ticket holder. We'll have to trust Pollard on what needs to be done. I believe he has proven he is capable of making good decisions.
Well he's the one that let Cael go in the first place without even trying to keep him or Cody. If Cody would have staid then Cyler probably would have also. No one asked them to stay. And Pollard didn't put up much to keep Cael here. So, no, I won't be trusting Pollard on what needs to be done. I don't believe he has made the best decisions. KJ does not have the respect of the wrestlers. If he acts like he does in public can you just imagine what goes on in the room? They are not responding to him or Yero. We need coaches that are leaders, teachers, and mentors. Poulsens are a great influence but not in the room enough. Maybe Travis would make a good coach as I have heard he is not wrestling anymore. The wrestlers really look up to him and know that what he says will work on the mat.
Finally someone that knows Jamie didnt try very hard to keep Cael. I agree though that KJ may not have the respect which a team really needs.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Are you freakin kidding me?! They graduated or left! Everyone that finished high were left from Cael. Jesus...next time u want to argue at least pick a topic u know what the hell your talking about.

I think I'm pretty aware of where those guys went. The point was that we were still relevant in the wrestling world at the time. We're nothing today. The iron was hot, we didn't strike, and look where we are at now.

Help Support Us

Become a patron