Royce White featured on next week's HBO Real Sports

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Not sure if this has been posted or not. Should be interesting. Especially since my on line cable guide refers to him as "football player Royce White".

Well at this point you can't really call him basketball player Royce White.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Here is a preview of the interview.

[video=youtube;04Ya_Ycv7p4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=04Ya_Ycv7p4[/video]

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Royce White is gonna be on Outside The Lines. I dont know if this was previously posted but i thought i would just let everyone know

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I hope he gets cut and never steps court on the NBA. He's a drama queen who thinks everyone should bow down to his everyday needs. Well hey Royce White theres millions and millions of Americans who go to work everyday even though they suffer from the same exact thing. They didn't get any sleep the night before because they were having extreme panic attacks, but they didn't call there boss to tell them "Give me the day off, my anxiety is bad today." They went to work because they cherish job, want to provide for their family and can work through there anxiety and don't even have close to the amount of resources you do. They'd love to see a psychologist everyday, something the rockets would provide, but since its not your own PERSONAL doctor, then its not good enough. World reknown psychiatrist wanting to help you, but its not my family doctor from Minnesota so its not good enough. People would beg for the resources the rockets are offering for you, but you want more and more and more.

GET OVER YOURSELF ROYCE. Seriously, I hate him and what he's doing to the mental illness society, he's not helping, he's just hurting it by sounding like a huge idiot over twitter.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I hope he gets cut and never steps court on the NBA. He's a drama queen who thinks everyone should bow down to his everyday needs. Well hey Royce White theres millions and millions of Americans who go to work everyday even though they suffer from the same exact thing. They didn't get any sleep the night before because they were having extreme panic attacks, but they didn't call there boss to tell them "Give me the day off, my anxiety is bad today." They went to work because they cherish job, want to provide for their family and can work through there anxiety and don't even have close to the amount of resources you do. They'd love to see a psychologist everyday, something the rockets would provide, but since its not your own PERSONAL doctor, then its not good enough. World reknown psychiatrist wanting to help you, but its not my family doctor from Minnesota so its not good enough. People would beg for the resources the rockets are offering for you, but you want more and more and more.

GET OVER YOURSELF ROYCE. Seriously, I hate him and what he's doing to the mental illness society, he's not helping, he's just hurting it by sounding like a huge idiot over twitter.

You hate him?

tre

Mar 21, 2010
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. He's willing to risk his chance/shot at playing in the NBA for what he feels is right. If he feels his mental health is more important than playing in the league, good for him.

I'm guessing that won't be popular w/ many on here after reading thru this thread, oh well.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
Ultimate Rockets » Royce White suggests potential mental health solutions

Suspended Rockets rookie forward Royce White has confirmed that he wants the team to hire a physician – a “medical point person,â€￾ in his words – with authority to determine whether White’s generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder will allow him to practice or play each day.

Unbelievable. I wish my work had a doctor that determined if I was OK to work each day too.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
How does a coach build a game plan around not knowing whether he's available from game to game? At least with a toe, or finger, (or whatever example he used) the coach knows that the toe was hurt ahead of time and can plan. And you know a toe is going to heal. There's no indication that Royce will every heal. So, yes Royce, it is quite different than a physical injury.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I haven't really followed this. Can anyone tell me has he indicated that there were any problems leading up to this? Why is he adamant that there be a third party deciding if he should practice or play? It seems to me he should be trying it out and if there are conflicts then maybe he kills his NBA caree...I mean...he sits out until they can agree on a "protocol".

tre

Mar 21, 2010
I haven't really followed this. Can anyone tell me has he indicated that there were any problems leading up to this? Why is he adamant that there be a third party deciding if he should practice or play? It seems to me he should be trying it out and if there are conflicts then maybe he kills his NBA caree...I mean...he sits out until they can agree on a "protocol".

In other videos/articles I've seen he says he doesn't feel a GM of a team should be the final call on medical issues.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
I watched Royce on Outside The Lines. It was about a seven min. feature and only about 2 min. with Royce being interviewed. Nothing really new. He said travel was not a problem and going to the d-league was not a problem. He said he wants a protocol in place with the Rockets and the d-league, again no idea what the protocol is. They interviewed a guy from draft express and he said if the Rockets hadn't drafted him in the first round he thought Royce would have slipped to the 2nd round because of his anxiety condition. He, as many here have said, doesn't think Royce is furthering his cause. The reporter who interviewed Royce asked him if he thought there was a chance the Rockets would get fed up and just release him and Royce responded he didn't see that happening. Royce did say that the problem going forward was that the Rockets were not willing to get educated but there was no follow up question to that. I hope I passed the information correctly, if not let me know. Again it was the same vague responses. I will say that Royce knows how to talk to the media. His responses were quick but didn't really say anything that will give any new insight. I will say he appears to be intelligent and articulate. It was the first time I've heard him speak at any length.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
I don't get HBO so I hope somebody will fill me in when his interview is done tonight. I don't know if it's Bryant Gumbel or Bob Costas that does the interview but I would expect them to have follow up questions. I think both of them are probably better interviewers than Colleen Domingues (sp).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've posted it before, but I think the only solution is for Royce to recognize (or get a formal agreement) with the Rockets whereby mental illness decisions are made by a professional certified to make those decisions. If you were to take the comparison to the orthopedist, you wouldn't let a general family doctor make treatment decisions regarding something that only a certified orthopedist should decide. Yet, he seems to be asking for his family doctor to make decisions regarding mental health.

Frankly, I think such a protocol may already exist. Royce isn't asking to get something in writing from the Rockets to guarantee that decisions about broken toes will only be made by an orthopedist of his choosing (or his family doctor). He is trusting them to rely on protocol so that they will only use an orthopedist who will use standard medical judgment. Seems like he could make this assumption about a mental illness doctor also. Does he really think that the general manager (or some quack doctor) is going to make a crazy decision about forcing him to play? If anything, they would be ultra-cautious these days.

What I would really like to hear from Royce is his commitment to following the treatment plan of a qualified mental health professional of the Rocket's choice. He seems to trust them to do it with his broken toe. It all comes down to trust. Royce trusted FH to rely on the right doctors at the right times, including his mental health professionals, even though it doesn't seem to have been much of an issue in actuality. The only accommodation that I'm aware of was his driving to the March Madness games. But there was trust. Apart from trust, he doesn't think he can do anything but get something in writing. I just wish that he was more clear that what he wants is standard mental health treatment. As long as he is holding out for his family doctor (who doubtfully has the specialty needed for this), he is not going to get anywhere in terms of advocacy.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Unbelievable. I wish my work had a doctor that determined if I was OK to work each day too.

If you want to put your job/career on the line to try and get it, go for it. The man is standing up for what he believes is fair and right. He is the one risking it all to change the mentality of the NBA and hopefully the greater population of people who thinks what he is doing is wrong.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Royce is clearly struggling with his mental condition, just look at that sweater.

:twitcy:LMAO ! Yea Royce is a good guy and full of allot of confusion. I hope he gets what he needs and can play some NBA hoops. I see allot of the problem won't just be the doctor determining if he can play a 7:30 ball game at 2 PM but figuring out the right medication that won't make him lethargic, light headed, all of which could screw up his timing, coordination and stability. I would guess that there might possibly be another diagnosis to go along with Royce besides the anxiety that hasn't been brought up or determined yet, such as depression, manic issues or possibly PTSD if he has gone through any trauma growing up.

Side effects of anti-anxiety drugs

Last edited:

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Yeah. I believe a lot of his anxiety is traced back to when he was young and he was running wind sprints at the end of practice, his best friend was right next to him. Then at one point he noticed his friend wasn't running nxt to him, looked back and his buddy had some sort of heart attack (or some disorder) laying on the floor unconcious. That could definitely be a cause to some sort of PTSD.

I applaud Royce for being true to his beliefs and feelings. Do I agree with the way he's handled the situation, especially the twitter madness, no. But I do think ppl are being too hard on him. Think back to when you were graduating college. Did you know for sure the job ur were about to take was the one you new you were ready for, the one you wanted to spend your entire career doing? I doubt it, and the majority of people don't retire doing what they graduated doing. Now, consider thinking about all of those things with an anxiety disorder. Coupled with OCD, so you would over think all of those things and much, much more.

I think he's lucky to be with an organization that has stuck with him as long as they have. From a business standpoint I would have probably let him go by now. It's time for him to start making positive strides, prolly should have stayed at ISU another year. However, I appreciate everything he did for our university, community, and myself personally. I hope him nothing but the best and that he figures out a way to make it work in what ever career makes him happy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron