Rotations with Jaz Back

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Jones has been really bad in some games. Love the hustle, but 60% of his shots have zero chance of going in, and they are all from 6 feet or closer. I don't think he took a shot every time he got the ball in the Post against TX, but he did so against Kansas and Oklahoma, and TT. King is a massive upgrade in terms of offense.

Stop exaggerating. He is shooting 48% so it's not 60% that have no chance.

Reactions: VeloClone

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
His FG percentage says otherwise. I had to look it up because I couldn't believe it. He averaged 14 points a game but he averaged 12 shots a game. I wouldn't call that very good.

Great rebounder and fantastic shot blocker and not a liability on offense.
Agree 100%. I watched every Iowa State games back then. Great dude, tough as nail, and great rebounder his senior year, but he didn’t have good offensive skills. Most of his points came from put backs, lay offs and dunks from good passes. He had a great game against North Carolina but so as Sam Hill against North Carolina State in sweet sixteen game in 1985. No one says Sam Hill was a good offensive player.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I thought Gabe asked to come off the bench at the start of the season, maybe I'm remembering wrong.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Jones was already down to 9 minutes in the Texas game.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
With Jaz being back to full strength here in the next few weeks, it will be interesting to see how TJ reincorporates him. The first obvious question is whether Gabe goes back to the bench. He's playing the best basketball of his life right now and I'd hate to mess with it. You've also had King come into the fold and Watson carve out a case for more minutes since Jaz went down. You also have Ward looking effective defensively when he gets in.

I'd have to imagine Jaz's minutes will come at the expense of Jones. I love his energy but he's really struggling to finish around the rim right now. I just don't know who else you can justify playing less.

In any event, a good problem to have. But it will be an interesting coaching challenge to get Jaz back into the mix on a team that's rolling right now without effecting what they have going. Luckily we have a coach that you have full faith in to figure it
My thought exactly, Gabe coming off the bench is not the same Gabe.
Jaz off the bench!

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
With Jaz being back to full strength here in the next few weeks, it will be interesting to see how TJ reincorporates him. The first obvious question is whether Gabe goes back to the bench. He's playing the best basketball of his life right now and I'd hate to mess with it. You've also had King come into the fold and Watson carve out a case for more minutes since Jaz went down. You also have Ward looking effective defensively when he gets in.

I'd have to imagine Jaz's minutes will come at the expense of Jones. I love his energy but he's really struggling to finish around the rim right now. I just don't know who else you can justify playing less.

In any event, a good problem to have. But it will be an interesting coaching challenge to get Jaz back into the mix on a team that's rolling right now without effecting what they have going. Luckily we have a coach that you have full faith in to figure it
Some people on this board are too critical of Jones. Have you seen Homan, player liked my the most on this board, play? He was even worse than Jones offensively. I don’t remember people criticizing him like Jones.
I just wish the coaches would teach them how to use the backboard when they’re within 5 feet of the basket!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
With the Bonnies he was averaging 30+ minutes a game but is only at 17 with us. I find it laughable people are suggesting he's not "up to it physically" when he's play far more minutes throughout his entire career. I get the times where his 1-2 stupid fouls a game put him in foul trouble, but there have been times he wasn't in foul trouble, and being extremely effective, yet he was taken out for Jones.
He's playing a very different role and style this year than the previous years. You can tell by blocks and fouls. With the Bonnies he sat in the lane and was a rim protector. He blocked a lot of shots and didn't foul. We're asking him to do a lot more - play a lot harder on defense - than he did before. The 20/20 split between Shoon and Jones is very intentional. I expect as the season rolls on, we'll see that creep more toward 25/15 or more - but the coaches very intentionally view them as an two-headed monster at the 5.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I just wish the coaches would teach them how to use the backboard when they’re within 5 feet of the basket!
I think a part of Jones' bad shots in close have to do with his free throw shooting. He is such a bad free throw shooter that teams feel free to be extremely physical with him when he goes up for a shot since sending Jones to the line is a win for them especially when they are already in the bonus. He is absorbing so much contact that he often takes it up too strong to make sure he at least gets it up on the rim.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

stormchaser

May 15, 2008
Rob is not perfect, he’s had a few rough stretches….. However there have been games we don’t win without him and his impact. I fully believe there will be more games this season where his hustle and dirty work will be a key part of why we won. Love him or hate him, this team is better with him. Players like Rob are important.
Yep, he's a big body that takes up space. He's not afraid to bang. Moves decent enough to be fairly effective on the perimeter for defense. He can facilitate a little, and gives you 110%. Not an all conference player, but is a nice change of pace player for this team! Hopefully he gets his confidence back and can start hitting a few shots again.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
He was -12 against Texas while Osun was +17. We absolutely got pounded during Bob’s 9 minutes. Against Kansas he was -4 while Osun was +5.
yipes. +/- is a limited statistic from what I can tell, but in this instance correlation did seem to = causation

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
He's playing a very different role and style this year than the previous years. You can tell by blocks and fouls. With the Bonnies he sat in the lane and was a rim protector. He blocked a lot of shots and didn't foul. We're asking him to do a lot more - play a lot harder on defense - than he did before. The 20/20 split between Shoon and Jones is very intentional. I expect as the season rolls on, we'll see that creep more toward 25/15 or more - but the coaches very intentionally view them as an two-headed monster at the 5.
Additionally in the post-Texas recap, Osun is saying as much that he thought he was ready for big-time Big 12/power 5 minutes, but acknowledged the grind was an adjustment, but he feels like he's there now.

To my eyes, that's showing up in his play. whether it was physical endurance, strength or mental resilience or no off nights, I don't know, but I don't think min breakdown during non-con/first week of Big12 is going to go unchanged, they're already becoming more and more fluid.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think a part of Jones' bad shots in close have to do with his free throw shooting. He is such a bad free throw shooter that teams feel free to be extremely physical with him when he goes up for a shot since sending Jones to the line is a win for them especially when they are already in the bonus. He is absorbing so much contact that he often takes it up too strong to make sure he at least gets it up on the rim.

I think that's a valid observation, something I hadn't considered. Could explain how sometimes his moves look fairly fluid, other times extremely awkward -- maybe amount of contact varies.

(Not dismissing general missed bunnies or occasions when it might be best to pass the ball back out)

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

He's had a full offseason to condition. I understand our defensive style is more intense, but his conditioning isn't near the problem you are making it out to be. He's been taken out of games when he was effective on both ends of the floor while never really losing that throughout the course of the game. At some point, we have to stretch his minutes as his presence is one of the limiting factors to our success. You basically play Shoon until fouls or his play dictate otherwise. The latter simply hasn't been happening.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
yipes. +/- is a limited statistic from what I can tell, but in this instance correlation did seem to = causation

That depends. In the cases of teams (especially when it's both teams) with relatively limited rotations it can be indicative of play, especially where it's two players that sub/rotate for each other. They are almost never on the court (if ever) at the same time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just read through this thread.
I am glad TJ is the one making the rotation decisions...

Things I feel confident in that is also the mark of a strong program: the staff has a plan, the players understand their role within the plan, and they will work toward it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron