Rotations with Jaz Back

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Look at his FG percentage. He shot 43%. He was not a guard or stretch 4 or 5, he was a center. Overll, Homan was a better player but he missed as many or if not more bunnies than Jones.
43% from the FT line is awful. 43% FG isn't great but not as bad as it seems.

Reactions: JBone84

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
43% from the FT line is awful. 43% FG isn't great but not as bad as it seems.
For a guard or stretch 4, 43% is not bad. For a center, 43% is bad. Jone is an awful FT shooter but he is a decent around the basket.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm looking forward to having Jaz help out on inbounds passing and bringing the ball upcourt under pressure.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Rob has struggled the past few games, but he still has a role on this team. He's the only post with the body type that can bang around on the inside with guys like Lampkin. I thought Ward played well at the 5 in relief of Osun; he might be a better option at the 5 when Osun is on the bench against more athletic teams.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Why is it so hard for some people to accept the fact that Jone is a decent offensive player? I never said he was a better than Homan. All I said was some people are too harsh on Jones whenever he misses a shot even though a player like Homan missed as many if not more easy shots than Jones. He is a decent player who is playing an important role for a top 15 team.
I like what Jones adds to the team and have no desire to trash him. He gives a ton of effort which we've seen work to his favor and his detriment at times. You can tell that Green has greatly improved Bob's footwork since last year. I think he's a player that you maximize his minutes when he's hot and manage his minutes when he's not.

Pulling Homan into this comparison was odd, though. Homan averaged 11 pts and 6 boards as a junior and 13.6 and 8.7 as a senior (which is not far from double/double territory). He wasn't perfect, but trying to stand up for Jones while bringing down a popular home-grown player that had a good career seems like a strange way to prove your point.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I forget what game it was but Homan got roughed up and took off like a rocket breathing fire. He was from a farm in NW Iowa and Eustacy said in the post game “it was like somebody stole his cow!” One of the all time quotes from an ISU coach. Homan could get fired up and Eustacy knew how to pull his trigger. Also had a big named Froman at the time who went on and played pro several years. Great era under Eustacy with back to back conference champs.
Jackson Vroman. One of the most skilled big men to play for ISU. Has since passed.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I like what Jones adds to the team and have no desire to trash him. He gives a ton of effort which we've seen work to his favor and his detriment at times. You can tell that Green has greatly improved Bob's footwork since last year. I think he's a player that you maximize his minutes when he's hot and manage his minutes when he's not.

Pulling Homan into this comparison was odd, though. Homan averaged 11 pts and 6 boards as a junior and 13.6 and 8.7 as a senior (which is not far from double/double territory). He wasn't perfect, but trying to stand up for Jones while bringing down a popular home-grown player that had a good career seems like a strange way to prove your point.
If you extrapolate Jones’ number to 36 minutes/game, he will average 13.2 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. Where were all these people who trash Jones at every opportunity when other ISU big men were missing more bunnies than Jones?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
It looks like the masses are finally coming around to the fact that Robert Jones is a minutes eater and is largely overmatched by quicker, elite teams.

To a degree I think it was already perplexing how many minutes Jones was getting considering he's had more horrible conference games (4) than decent ones. Kalscheur is arguably our best player right now and needs to be on the floor as much as possible. Lipsey is our only PG, also an invaluable player, so minutes won't come from him on personnel shifts. Osun was already being taken out prematurely (on the occasions he wasn't in foul trouble) and should be on the floor as much as possible. Grill is one of our leading minute getters and Holmes has been playing fantastic of late, being much more adept at picking his spots without forcing the action.

I really think Kunc should be coming off the bench and I think one could argue he should come in behind King, who I think is more versatile and a much better defender. Basically I think the bulk of the minutes should come from Jones and Watson, with Kunc's minutes being partially dictated by the matchup.

IMO Kunc's role and minutes were much more important last year on a team that consistently struggled to shoot the ball and rebound. He could hit an occasional 3, has a nice mid range jumper, and plays hard enough to be an adequate to good rebounder. This year we are more consistent as a team in every facet and I see 6 guys being more integral to the team's aspirations than him at the moment. I really think he should be a 15ish minute per game guy off the bench, who plays more when foul trouble dictates and when we need shooters/FT shooters at the end of games.

If Kunc comes back as a starter TJ is making a big mistake.

• Dumb
Reactions: cyclonestunners

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It looks like the masses are finally coming around to the fact that Robert Jones is a minutes eater and is largely overmatched by quicker, elite teams.

To a degree I think it was already perplexing how many minutes Jones was getting considering he's had more horrible conference games (4) than decent ones. Kalscheur is arguably our best player right now and needs to be on the floor as much as possible. Lipsey is our only PG, also an invaluable player, so minutes won't come from him on personnel shifts. Osun was already being taken out prematurely (on the occasions he wasn't in foul trouble) and should be on the floor as much as possible. Grill is one of our leading minute getters and Holmes has been playing fantastic of late, being much more adept at picking his spots without forcing the action.

I really think Kunc should be coming off the bench and I think one could argue he should come in behind King, who I think is more versatile and a much better defender. Basically I think the bulk of the minutes should come from Jones and Watson, with Kunc's minutes being partially dictated by the matchup.

IMO Kunc's role and minutes were much more important last year on a team that consistently struggled to shoot the ball and rebound. He could hit an occasional 3, has a nice mid range jumper, and plays hard enough to be an adequate to good rebounder. This year we are more consistent as a team in every facet and I see 6 guys being more integral to the team's aspirations than him at the moment. I really think he should be a 15ish minute per game guy off the bench, who plays more when foul trouble dictates and when we need shooters/FT shooters at the end of games.

Like clockwork...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

So essentially what you’re saying is that you don’t agree with the rotations that have netted us 14-3 and 5-1 in conference? Lol

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
iSU will need someone at PG besides Lipsey and Holmes. Can Watson do this? IMO Gabe and Grill are a no . Eli is not up to task yet. Osun is great at the 5, but has no stamina. Someone has to cover this position. Unfortunately, Rob is the tallest and toughest option. He is also the worst 2 point shooter and FT shooter in about 10 years. King is improving. I think the offense has progressed where they don’t need Jazz as a high post passer/pick setter and he doesn’t drive well or create his own shots. He might actually fit better as a reserve utilizing a full court press or half court trap. I think more rotations /more energy might be the answer. Right now everyone has almost the same 3pt% - Grill38, Gabe37, Holmes37, Osun37, Jazz36.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I really like Jones and he's definitely the most improved player on the team. That being said he's been downright awful the last 2 games on both ends.

When he's struggling he needs to learn to kick it back out. He wasn't even close on alot of shots against Kansas and I think was 0-9. We won't win many games if he's taking that many shots per game.