Rosie Gambino left ISU?

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
That's too bad. From the sounds of it (from the outside), she seemed to really miss her family.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Thats too bad. I don't think she's homesick as she's just a state away. If I had to guess, it would be she just wasn't as passionate for the sport as she thought she would be.

Wish her the best of luck in her future!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Too bad, but might be a blessing in disguise...I've heard those Gambinos are a bunch of criminals.

:pwink:

Best of luck to her.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Good Luck to her, our post depth just took a massive hit but at least it happened early enough that team and coaches have time to prepare before practices start.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Darn. That helps explain this tweet in Friday's Q&A with BF.

Cyclone Basketball ‏@CycloneWBB18h
(LaurieS) our strengths will be Hallie who is one of the BEST and guard play-we will be small so i worry about our ability to rebound

Losing a 6-4 rebounder would lead to some worries.

Sure, Gambino was untested at the Division 1 level, but rebounding was a claim to fame. I was looking forward to watching her.

She was in Ames at summer camps, etc. working out with the team and appeared to be fitting in with everyone. Maddie better be ready to play...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, poop, this sucks. It's always something it seems. We just can't seem to get the positions and class years balanced.
:sad:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
What Gambino's departure means for ISU | Ames Tribune

But as it sat currently, her development made it unlikely that she was going to be a significant contributor this coming season.

Maybe she realized she wasn't going to be good enough to be a Div-I player and felt it'd be better to focus on academics. I don't know anything -- just guessing.

If the coaching staff knew about this for a while, it would explain why we were still recruiting the Caron-Goudreau twins for 2014 despite having only one scholarship free.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
This is the type of situation when other schools have tapped other sports, just to get some depth and maybe a contribution here and there.

I think former VB player Taylor Knuth is still on campus -- she was a really good basketball player in her day. She has size. There's still time for her to start practicing to get some game back!

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I wasn't expecting for Rosie to play 20 minutes a game but to be able to give the Clones a good 10 minutes every game. Wish her the best and hope that the transfer works out well. This really puts the pressure on Jensen, Maddie, and Ellis. Hallie is good but can't do it all herself. Johnson may see some time in the 4 slot. I hope they are ready.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I wasn't expecting for Rosie to play 20 minutes a game but to be able to give the Clones a good 10 minutes every game. Wish her the best and hope that the transfer works out well. This really puts the pressure on Jensen, Maddie, and Ellis. Hallie is good but can't do it all herself. Johnson may see some time in the 4 slot. I hope they are ready.
Lucky the he/she graduated from Baylor.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Food for thought. Remember who had the ISU record for rebounds before Angie Welle broke it? tick...tick...tick...a guard named Megan Taylor. Guards can rebound. In Megan's case it was all about hustle and positioning.

A multiple guard lineup will actually create matchup problems with everyone on our schedule. If our guards can shoot, dish, and slice to the hole we can cause all sorts of havoc. I'm not worried at this point. Rosie was going to be an offensive liability and we all know what that is like.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
There may not be a freshman in the conference with a better opportunity to contribute from day 1 than Jensen.

If we were shaky going into this season, Gambino was not the cure. The holes in our frontline now goes back to misses on the recruiting trail. A couple of recruits from Iowa in particular that went elsewhere, and sort of disappeared, would have been experienced and playing along side Hallie now.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Food for thought. Remember who had the ISU record for rebounds before Angie Welle broke it? tick...tick...tick...a guard named Megan Taylor. Guards can rebound. In Megan's case it was all about hustle and positioning.

A multiple guard lineup will actually create matchup problems with everyone on our schedule. If our guards can shoot, dish, and slice to the hole we can cause all sorts of havoc. I'm not worried at this point. Rosie was going to be an offensive liability and we all know what that is like.

Another example was Charles Barkley. Yes, he was a power forward but he was considered short as a PF However, his timing and positioning were exceptional.