Rohach will start as the #1 QB in the spring

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
SR has a better QB Eff Rating, more passing yards per attempt. better TD-Int ratio and more yds per rushing attempt this year. I guess you have to factor those numbers into the Messingham equation to figure out the best QB.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Why wouldn't your starter for the last game of this season take the first snap next Spring? I think Tiller played the entirety of the last game of 2010.

Tiller had to start the last game. The starter had a torn ACL and the 3rd guy had played maybe 4-5 snaps all year. Do you think if AA had another year and was healthy would have taken the 1's snaps on day one in the spring? Or Tiller?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Why wouldn't your starter for the last game of this season take the first snap next Spring? I think Tiller played the entirety of the last game of 2010.

Is Rohach the starter because Richardson isn't 100% or is Rohach the starter because the coaches have him penciled in as the #1 QB going forward?

Because they both should be healthy by the time spring ball rolls around.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The play where Richardson came in for a 3rd down and we had to call a timeout was a disaster. I would imagine he got chewed out for that. I don't remember seeing him play for the rest of the game. He didn't even come in when we were up 27-0 or 34-0. It seems to me from what Rhoads has said about Rohach in practice and what we saw on Saturday night that Rohach has taken Richardson's starting job.

Did you see what actually happened? His headset got caught up on the back of his uniform and he was delayed in getting disentangled. I was at the game and saw it live.

I really don't think anyone should hang that on him.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
SR has a better QB Eff Rating, more passing yards per attempt. better TD-Int ratio and more yds per rushing attempt this year. I guess you have to factor those numbers into the Messingham equation to figure out the best QB.
No one is saying that Mess is Mensa material.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
*NEWS FLASH*
The starting QB will take the first snaps with the 1's this spring. In other news, Wimberly will start at RB as well.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Tiller had to start the last game. The starter had a torn ACL and the 3rd guy had played maybe 4-5 snaps all year. Do you think if AA had another year and was healthy would have taken the 1's snaps on day one in the spring? Or Tiller?

This is different because AA was so far ahead of Tiller and no one was viewing Tiller as a QB of the future. Since GR and SR are closer in the coach's estimation (and both are viewed as options for next year), you go with the one who is currently in the lead and let the other play past him.

Also, I tend to concur with you about your comments in the past about picking a #1 and giving him the bulk of the snaps instead of having an extended QB battle. In fact, I think this is more of what Rhoads was trying to do this year and may be what he is trying to set up for next year.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
CPR has shown that he is willing to disregard and manipulate the depth chart how he sees fit. Coach saying Grant will be #1 next spring is like CF posters saying they are done whenever "something something" happens.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Did you see what actually happened? His headset got caught up on the back of his uniform and he was delayed in getting disentangled. I was at the game and saw it live.

I really don't think anyone should hang that on him.

I was also at the game and saw it live. You're referring to the time we brought Richardson on in the first half in the redzone, I'm not hanging anything on him for the headset issues. I'm talking about the one in the 3rd quarter where it was 3rd and 2 then we had to call timeout only to false start on the next play. Anyways, both times Sam came on we had to call timeout. There is always confusion going on when we switch to Sam during a drive which is why it is dumb.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
This is different because AA was so far ahead of Tiller and no one was viewing Tiller as a QB of the future. Since GR and SR are closer in the coach's estimation (and both are viewed as options for next year), you go with the one who is currently in the lead and let the other play past him.

Also, I tend to concur with you about your comments in the past about picking a #1 and giving him the bulk of the snaps instead of having an extended QB battle. In fact, I think this is more of what Rhoads was trying to do this year and may be what he is trying to set up for next year.

I agree. I was just making conversation.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Is Rohach the starter because Richardson isn't 100% or is Rohach the starter because the coaches have him penciled in as the #1 QB going forward?

Because they both should be healthy by the time spring ball rolls around.

I would bet money on the latter.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I would bet money on the latter.

Based on the comments the coaches have made, that is my assumption as well. I just don't get why when you compare their bodies of work. They ran Richardson into the ground and then threw him under the bus, and the hits just keep coming apparently.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I just did not see where Sam was going to run much on ice, so GR played since at least he could connect with Coleman.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I was also at the game and saw it live. You're referring to the time we brought Richardson on in the first half in the redzone, I'm not hanging anything on him for the headset issues. I'm talking about the one in the 3rd quarter where it was 3rd and 2 then we had to call timeout only to false start on the next play. Anyways, both times Sam came on we had to call timeout. There is always confusion going on when we switch to Sam during a drive which is why it is dumb.

Other teams switch QBs on the fly & do not have to burn timeouts. They do not have Mess and we do. That is the difference. Our offense is un-coordinated and that falls on the person responsible for it being coordinated, which, I think, is the Coordinator.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA

Bigger question is, which QB had more plays that made it to the flagship program (Sportscenter) on ESPN? That should be our litmus test, correct?

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I just did not see where Sam was going to run much on ice, so GR played since at least he could connect with Coleman.

Give SR the same scenario (no pass rush, decent up front on both sides, running game was working, bad KU defense), we still win 34-0. We saw that last year. And he could make that connection with Coleman. We saw his accuracy when he had time last year against KU.