Rohach is legit!

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
The thing that makes me most excited about Grant is that he keeps improving every game. Seriously when was the last time we have seen that out of a QB? AA would be my guess.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
I saw enough three weeks ago, and of course my opinion doesnt matter. But Rohach is better, I don't think this is even a contest. You are right though, it will play itself out. But it's going to be Rohach. His arm gives him a huge advantage.

I agree. We run the QB a lot less with Rohach, for obvious reasons. The flip side being that we throw more. Rohach is better suited for slinging the ball around, if that's the direction this staff wants to move in. I like it, personally. Glad I'm not the only one who thought that way before today's game.

Let eat me say that I don't think GR is the second coming, or anything like that, but he has really looked like he's not only figuring out the rhythm, but establishing it.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I would think this QB should excite our new receivers along with our stud TE. Add nealy and Wimberly sharing carries along with a returning OL with experience and it has promise.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I would think this QB should excite our new receivers along with our stud TE. Add nealy and Wimberly sharing carries along with a returning OL with experience and it has promise.
Speaking of which, did Daley get hurt today? Didn't want to start a new thread...

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Thing I like seeing him do is sit in the pocket and not in a hurry to run. Although a couple times he looked a little comfortable and took a couple sacks he maybe didn't need to.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Rohach played great in the second half today. I don't think they run the zone read with him because he was not showing good reads on the ends in his first few games in. He just needs some experience with it. That and the fact that I don't know who you go to if both he and Sam couldn't go because they got hurt running the zone read. Great game and hope it continues into next year.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
When was the last QB to throw for 300 yards in back to back games? I honestly don't know.

Along those lines, who was the last one to do it twice in a season?

After some quick research I think the answer to both questions is Austen Arnaud back in 2008:
11/15/08 - 326 yards against Missouri
11/22/08 - 440 yards against Kansas State

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Rohach was running scared until after he scored the long TD run. He gets happy feet in the pocket and rushes, loses his accuracy. Other than that he has great upside, and those are just things that will get better with time.

I will be sold when Grant can do this from the beginning of games to the end, and start where he picked up from next year.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Be fair, WV's pass defense was horrible all year. He showed some great promise though. I'm excited to see how he develops during the offseason, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Maybe with some more weapons and a healthy offensive line (and some good play calling like in that second half) we can have a top 5 Big 12 offense.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I think another reason it is going to be Rohach, is becuase we are moving away from zone read and just going to pass more. Rohach isn't really a zone read guy, he can do it but he is a pocket passer, and we just happen to have a couple really good receivers and a really good TE to throw to. Makes sense to throw it more moving forward. It is Grant's job to lose.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Our offense is much better when we through the ball down field. Today we did that.

this was exactly like the Iowa game. 9 man front and Mess comes out and runs exactly what WVU was ready to defend. Run up the middle WR screens, etc. Then when the game is out of reach he finally decides to throw the ball down field.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
My concern is that he just makes accurate throws and not picks. He needs to work on it but I think the more comfortable he gets with the oline, wrs and game speed, the better he will be. I thought he escaped a lot of bad situations late in the game which was impressive.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Not drinking the kool-aid yet when it comes to Rohach. We just played two horrible defenses and I remember how Richardson looked last year against Kansas. I'm thrilled to death we won the last two games, but until a change is made at OC our QB's will struggle. Barnett and Jantz also had games where they looked really good and then struggled mightily in other games, so I'm holding out hope that all the problems can be traced back to one person and changes will be made.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
this was exactly like the Iowa game. 9 man front and Mess comes out and runs exactly what WVU was ready to defend. Run up the middle WR screens, etc. Then when the game is out of reach he finally decides to throw the ball down field.

It must have been the 13 defenders then that caused the problems. Most of their alignments featured 2 safeties over the top and 2 CB's lined up on the 2 outside receivers. Usually that only leaves 7 defenders to stack the box. You don't count the corners, even if they are playing press coverage, as front end defenders.

WV is known for their 2 safety look. The early game plan to attack the sidelines with both runs and passes opened up the field for big plays down the middle later in the game.

Reactions: Aclone

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Grant definitely has a little Todd Reesing in him. I still take a healthy Richardson, but Grant closed the gap allot today.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It must have been the 13 defenders then that caused the problems. Most of their alignments featured 2 safeties over the top and 2 CB's lined up on the 2 outside receivers. Usually that only leaves 7 defenders to stack the box. You don't count the corners, even if they are playing press coverage, as front end defenders.

WV is known for their 2 safety look. The early game plan to attack the sidelines with both runs and passes opened up the field for big plays down the middle later in the game.
Wait...you almost sound as if you know what you're talking about? On this board? What the heck?!!!

:eek:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Time will tell and it doesn't matter what I think. But comparing Sam's two games vs WV and KU to Grant's just doesn't make any sense. It's two different players and two completely differnet teams in completely different situations. Plus just watch the games. Grant can throw the damn ball with some heat on it and he isn't afraid to make a mistake. Grant has a huge huge advantage that Sam can never have, a great arm. Been a long time since we have seen a good arm around here, I am beginning to think people can't remember what it looks like. Grant has a huge advantage here and he really should win this job easily.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron