MLB: Robo Plate Ump is finally tried out

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Robo balls and strikes ump is finally here. I am ready for this. It's been getting frustrating seeing how many balls get called as strikes with the advanced technology the fans and the dugout get to see while the balls/strikes get influenced by umps checking the catchers glove or thinking Altuve and Judge have the same strikes zone. Bring robo guy on. No more "Well, Bob's behind the plate today and he gives you the outside strike." or "Well, It's Jimmy callin' today so adjust your strike zone six inches high" ********.

Article actually covers this debut in some depth including how they figure in biometrics for each player to adjust strike zone for each at bat. Some of the low pitches will now be balls. Some of the nastier breaking stuff may be shown to catch plate and be a strike. Some of the borderline stuff the umps are just guessing at anyway.

‘Robot ump’ calls first professional baseball game with one hitch and no controversy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-hitch-no-controversy/?utm_term=.6f5225d879ca

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
While i'm a fan of the old school way of baseball - knowing your umpires, what they gave you for a zone was an advantage to those who studied.

Frankly i think the game has just become too fast. Pitches move more now than ever, breaks are sharper, two seamers with 6 inches of tail... even the best struggle to keep up.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was watching a game the other day and watched a clear strike on the outside half of the plate get called a ball. The announcers (homers for the batting team, of course) immediately pointed out how while that was in the strike zone umpires aren't going to call it since the catcher had set up on the inside corner and had to go across the plate to make the catch - I had noticed that and had made the same conclusion. It did, however get me to thinking. How does a knuckle baller ever get a strike called since so many true knuckleball pitches have an unpredictable trajectory? Why is it okay for a knuckleballer to not know where his pitch is going to end up but not okay for other pitchers? Why - when a pitcher is struggling to throw strikes - is it okay to take away many of the strikes he does manage to throw? Was that ball any less hittable because it didn't end up where the pitcher intended it to go? Isn't the point of a strike zone to define where a hitter should be reasonably expected to make an attempt to hit the ball?

I think an impartial electronic way to actually call balls and strikes can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
All I can think about is how cool it would be to see RoboCop ejecting players.

EminentSevereAtlanticspadefish-max-1mb.gif

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Im fine with balls and strikes being decided by technology, but you still need a human ump behind the plate, even though they would not be calling balls and strikes, for the same reason you need umpires at each base.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
Im fine with balls and strikes being decided by technology, but you still need a human ump behind the plate, even though they would not be calling balls and strikes, for the same reason you need umpires at each base.

The plan the MLB is looking at would still have an ump behind the plate and they would just get a signal telling them. They still have to be there to call out and safe and if something went wrong with the system they would have to call balls and strikes.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

The experimental run with this isn't getting rid of the ump behind the plate. He'll call balls and strike if there is a glitch and is the one the computer call are relayed to. Still have to call foul tips (I think), catcher's interference, hit by pitch, checked swings and all of the other pitch related stuff. Not sure how attempted bunts are called. Robo calls a ball but the guy offered so ump calls a strike? Lot of little stuff to work out but think it's inevitable at some point. Guess the zone call is relayed but ump has the final say on swings.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Real sports did a feature on the idea a few months ago, they had a former player, and broadcaster, Steve Lyons behind the plate for a college game. They had a guy in the booth looking at a tv screen with the box that they use to track pitches. He would see the pitch, then radio down to Lyons if it was a ball or strike. Lyons then acted it out, it was just as fast as modern umpires are doing it now.
After the game they asked the players and they thought it was fine, they liked the idea of the plate not changing through out the game. Even Lyons thought it did a good job.

• Informative
Reactions: Walden4Prez

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
There should always be leaways for borderline balls/strikes but just because the catcher sets up outside should not change how they are called. The plate is the guideline, not where the catcher is or "well he has pitched outside all game" or some bs like that. Just because Tom Glavine could pitch effectively 6 inches off the plate doesn't make that a strike.
A hitter shouldn't have to go up to the plate and wonder how the umpire is going to make the calls today.
If they use this new system I'm for expanding the strike zone up and down. Go from below the knees to the chest. Hell if they would keep the width the same every time, lengthen it even more. MLB players should be able to hit almost anything over the plate.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t like it. Never have. Never will. I get why it’s there but no. I’m not an old fart but I am old school when it comes to this. Human game played and officiated by humans. That’s the way it should and always be.

Help Support Us

Become a patron