MLB: Robo Plate Ump is finally tried out

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Let me know when they get a pitching clock behind home plate.

I have no opinion about a pitch clock either way, but curious about details:
1. How many seconds should it be? (I assume it resets only when ball is back in pitcher's possession)
2. If the clock expires, what happens? Automatic ball in the pitch count? Some kind of "penalty"?
Maybe the concept has been discussed widely and about how to incorporate it, thought it more convenient to ask here. :)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have no opinion about a pitch clock either way, but curious about details:
1. How many seconds should it be? (I assume it resets only when ball is back in pitcher's possession)
2. If the clock expires, what happens? Automatic ball in the pitch count? Some kind of "penalty"?
Maybe the concept has been discussed widely and about how to incorporate it, thought it more convenient to ask here. :)
Gets one warning per batter and a max of two warnings per inning. Clock resets when the batter calls for timeout but to a shorter time - kind of like after an offensive rebound in the NBA. After that it is a ball. If you really wanted to get nasty you could call it a ball and a balk. ;)

Reactions: cyclones500

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And throwing another log on the fire here:

Interesting research from Boston University on how BAD some umpires really are. Found the numbers a little bit surprising but not shocking, "The top 10 performing umps averaged 2.7 years of experience. The bottom 10 averaged 20.6 years of experience."

The worst umps for 2018, like Joe West, missed 10 - 12% of their calls. The worst 10 active for their career miss almost 14%. Much worse than I thought even though I already thought they sucked. Was thinking between 5 - 10% but that's the turf of the BEST umps!

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I was watching the Wimbledon tennis tournament last night and wondered if in the future they will use the electronic system full time for judging if a ball is in or out of bounds. It would eliminate the base line judges and perhaps player reactions.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
And throwing another log on the fire here:

Interesting research from Boston University on how BAD some umpires really are. Found the numbers a little bit surprising but not shocking, "The top 10 performing umps averaged 2.7 years of experience. The bottom 10 averaged 20.6 years of experience."

The worst umps for 2018, like Joe West, missed 10 - 12% of their calls. The worst 10 active for their career miss almost 14%. Much worse than I thought even though I already thought they sucked. Was thinking between 5 - 10% but that's the turf of the BEST umps!

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy
Does it say if their accuracy goes down over time? I'm curious what the long-term effects are of trying to make that many decisions based on visual acuity. My guess is their performance will actually deteriorate over time.

nm: I glossed the article, and it doesn't look like that aspect is covered.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Does it say if their accuracy goes down over time? I'm curious what the long-term effects are of trying to make that many decisions based on visual acuity. My guess is their performance will actually deteriorate over time.
I'm pretty sure Joe West's has gone down, but I doubt if he was ever any where near good. Not only is he really bad at that part of his job, but he also lets his ego stand in the way of making the right decisions when dealing with players and managers.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Baseball is played and coached by humans that make mistakes. It should be umpired by humans that also make mistakes.

This is a terrible take. Players are an active participant in the game, and their ability to do or not do their job is what causes the outcome of a game. The other is simply there to enforce rules. If you can enforce the rules without error, you should do it.

I was watching a Cubs game right before the break and the ump missed two blatant strikes thrown by Hendricks. And of course the next ball goes into the seats. Every ball and strike has an outcome on the game. It effects how you can pitch someone. It effects what pitches are thrown. It needs to be called correctly.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is a terrible take. Players are an active participant in the game, and their ability to do or not do their job is what causes the outcome of a game. The other is simply there to enforce rules. If you can enforce the rules without error, you should do it.

I was watching a Cubs game right before the break and the ump missed two blatant strikes thrown by Hendricks. And of course the next ball goes into the seats. Every ball and strike has an outcome on the game. It effects how you can pitch someone. It effects what pitches are thrown. It needs to be called correctly.
Funny, that game is the one where I pulled the example of a pitcher throwing the strike but it wasn't where the catcher set up so it was called a ball. I remember being a little ticked about that homerun because he never would have been in that count if the balls had been called correctly. Either the batter would have been in protect the plate mode, or he would have been already back in the dugout. Just a prime example of a pitcher who is struggling to find the strike zone so the ump won't even call strikes when he actually does find the plate.

Even if an ump is calling it (incorrectly) the same for both pitchers it can favor a lefty over a righty or a ground ball pitcher over a strike out pitcher.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.....Interesting research from Boston University on how BAD some umpires really are...... "The top 10 performing umps averaged 2.7 years of experience. The bottom 10 averaged 20.6 years of experience."
The worst umps for 2018, like Joe West, missed 10 - 12% of their calls. The worst 10 active for their career miss almost 14%.....

Agree with using the robo calls, even if it is some limited capacity. At a minimum, MLB needs to use the above data to set accuracy minimums and weed out the guys not doing their jobs.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

nm: I glossed the article, and it doesn't look like that aspect is covered.

I am guessing they didn't have the data to fully support a long term determination that guys decline with age. It's definitely implied though. The best ball tracking hasn't been around with data collected for the 20 years it would require. I am guessing some of these guys have declined with age (not a huge leap there) but some have always sucked. There is basically no accountability. The only turnover comes via retirement.

Players are done by their late 30's yet umps with 60 year old eyes are still "playing". I am in my 60's, don't wear glasses except to read and can tell you my eyes aren't even close to what 30 year old Boxster had. Balls are just moving too fast and spinning too hard for these old *****. They maybe saw a guy throw high 90's once a week, now it's every game. Every team has guys with Nolan Ryan stuff when it used to be JUST Nolan Ryan.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Gets one warning per batter and a max of two warnings per inning. Clock resets when the batter calls for timeout but to a shorter time - kind of like after an offensive rebound in the NBA. After that it is a ball. If you really wanted to get nasty you could call it a ball and a balk. ;)

I’d go with no warnings. No timeouts. Clock starts when pitcher gets the ball. Catcher can’t waste time and hold it for no reason. Ball if pitcher doesn’t pitch in time. Strike if batter steps out before pitch.

• Creative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
  • Add RoboUmps
  • Add a pitch clock
  • Add a rule that if you adjust your batting gloves more than 3 times an at bat you get punched in the throat.
They are already going to add a 3 batter minimum to each pitcher. I don't think I like this one though, not sure yet. I feel like if you have a pitch clock, I can deal with pitching changes.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Add RoboUmps
  • Add a pitch clock
  • Add a rule that if you adjust your batting gloves more than 3 times an at bat you get punched in the throat.
They are already going to add a 3 batter minimum to each pitcher. I don't think I like this one though, not sure yet. I feel like if you have a pitch clock, I can deal with pitching changes.
I have to agree with all of these especially your Ryan Braun rule.

Reactions: JBone84

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As if I needed any further convincing, Joe West is behind the plate tonight in the Yankee/Jays game. Third inning and he's already blowing calls. The worst, two call strikes to strikeout Hicks that were both at least six innings outside. I mean not even close to being strikes. And this guys making almost half million a year. Maybe the Jays Sanchez won't be leading the league in walks if he got to pitch with West behind the plate every night.

His missed calls tonight are running about 2 to 1 bad strikes versus bad balls. I wish I had started counting earlier.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I was watching a game the other day and watched a clear strike on the outside half of the plate get called a ball. The announcers (homers for the batting team, of course) immediately pointed out how while that was in the strike zone umpires aren't going to call it since the catcher had set up on the inside corner and had to go across the plate to make the catch - I had noticed that and had made the same conclusion. It did, however get me to thinking. How does a knuckle baller ever get a strike called since so many true knuckleball pitches have an unpredictable trajectory? Why is it okay for a knuckleballer to not know where his pitch is going to end up but not okay for other pitchers? Why - when a pitcher is struggling to throw strikes - is it okay to take away many of the strikes he does manage to throw? Was that ball any less hittable because it didn't end up where the pitcher intended it to go? Isn't the point of a strike zone to define where a hitter should be reasonably expected to make an attempt to hit the ball?

I think an impartial electronic way to actually call balls and strikes can't come soon enough.
But to be fair to hitters, they would need a little time to get accustomed to a true, consistent strike zone.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
As if I needed any further convincing. Joe West is behind the plate tonight in the Yankee/Jays game. Third inning and he's already blowing calls. The worst, two call strikes to strikeout Hicks that were both at least six innings outside. I mean not even close to being strikes. And this guys making almost half million a year. Maybe Sanchez won't be leading the league in walks if he got to pitch with West behind the plate every night.

His missed calls tonight are running about 2 to 1 bad strikes versus bad balls. I wish I had started counting earlier.
Angel Hernandez...

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Are people that like baseball still trying to call soccer boring? Just wanted to know if that was a thing still.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Are people that like baseball still trying to call soccer boring? Just wanted to know if that was a thing still.
Some of us are fans of both. I was in the 5th row for the MNUFC game Saturday night. It was a 1-0 final but plenty exciting.

If you can't find something to like about just about every sport, you aren't trying very hard.