Ripping CDs now NOT illegal???

Should you be allowed to rip CD's for your own private use?

• Total voters

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Ripping CD's for personal use is illegal according to the RIAA

RIAA: Those CD rips of yours are still "unauthorized"

This is complete crap - you've paid for the song you should be able to choose the media device on which you listen to it on. Not to mention back up the data...

File sharing is one thing, but to not even be allowed to put the songs on your computer or MP3 player? They can take their CD's and shove them :realmad:

When asked by the RIAA's lead counsel whether it was wrong for consumers to make copies of CDs they have purchased, Jennifer Pariser replied in the negative. "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song," said Pariser. Making "a copy" of a song you own is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," according to Pariser

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Re: Ripping CD's for personal use is illegal according to the RIAA

Unfortunately the government says otherwise, it is called "fair use." If this is ever to change, all consumers must do one thing, not buy any more CD's that are produced by RIAA artists.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Is playing the cd loud enough for people to hear illegal too?

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com

"When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song," said Pariser. Making "a copy" of a song you own is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," according to Pariser
Error. Does not compute.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com

Is playing the cd loud enough for people to hear illegal too?

Don't let the music people hear about this. They would probably consider this illegally sharing your music with others and sue you.:twitcy:

Last edited:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

At this rate, it was probally illegal for people to bring songs to my computer for me to blare down the hallway during "Rowdy hour" when I lived in the dorms :skeptical:

a) They're loaning me their music
b) I'm playing it for others

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Don't let the music people hear about this. They would probably consider this illegally sharing your musice with others and sue you.:twitcy:

I am technically "broadcasting" the music for many people to potentially listen to... F 'em, I'm going to do it anyway.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

Unfortunately the government says otherwise, it is called "fair use." If this is ever to change, all consumers must do one thing, not buy any more CD's that are produced by RIAA artists.

**** like this is part of why I listen to the radio.

I tried legally downloading music for a while, but I ran into problems with anti-piracy encryptions and quit using that service. There are a lot of songs I'd pay for but I refuse to because I can't listen to them on my MP3 player or because everytime my hard drive gets wiped I have to call and get them to re-issue my liscense because I've had to wipe my hard drive (and therefore transfer liscences) more times than I was allowed by the initial liscense.

It's ironical really - in an attempt to stem illegal downloading (which they claim loses them money) they are losing money by driving off ligitimate business

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I buy my music from pawn shops and half.com for dirt cheap used prices. Then I make them into mp3's for use on my home network. i refuse to buy cds new. I refuse to buy download music. Its too expensive and a pain with the antipiracy crap.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

RIAA can shove it where the sun don't shine. They make most the money off the CDs not the artists so I can care less. I read the breakdown of what the artist actually gets and for every $1 it's like 3 cents or something after the RIAA, the label, and distributors all take their cuts.

Anyone have a link or something to the actual breakdowns? This is why I couldn't care less what they say becuase it's really not hurting the artist when people do illegally acquire music, it's mostly hurting everyone else that has their hand in the cookie jar.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

the Phil Spector defense fund gets the majority.....I've bought 1 CD in the last 10 years...couldn't find it anywhere else. I have bought "Free for All" at least 7 times in my life, if I can find a digital version for free, I'm taking it!

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ

RIAA can shove it where the sun don't shine. They make most the money off the CDs not the artists so I can care less. I read the breakdown of what the artist actually gets and for every $1 it's like 3 cents or something after the RIAA, the label, and distributors all take their cuts.

Anyone have a link or something to the actual breakdowns?

Wal-Mart Wants $10 CDs : Rolling Stone

This Rolling Stone story is based around the debate of Wal-Mart selling $10 CDs. At the very bottom is a pricing breakdown of where the money goes from a $15.99 CD sale, according to the Almighty Institute of Music Retail.

$0.17 Musicians' unions
$0.80 Packaging/manufacturing
$0.82 Publishing royalties
$0.80 Retail profit
$0.90 Distribution
$1.60 Artists' royalties
$1.70 Label profit
$2.40 Marketing/promotion
$2.91 Label overhead
$3.89 Retail overhead

phyteguru

Dec 11, 2007
Ripping CD's/RIAA

I went to prison after being raided by the feds for "Conspiracy to commit copyright infringement." - Yep, went to prison for music piracy. WTF!

I do rip CDs for my own use at home and keep them on my computer, but no longer share music with anyone else. It's a long story but I have it written here.

prisonreallysucks.blogspot.com

-Bruce
[email protected]
-AIM/AOL: phyteguru

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

I generally only buy used CD's anymore at Disc-Go-Round, CD's +, Hastings, etc. Stores of that nature. If I'm supporting an artist, I go to their shows where they make their money, and not the recording industry. If the artist is selling the cd at their shows (underground bands), there's usually not many other places to get them.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

So by their logic, we shouldn't record things on TV to watch later?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

that will be coming sooner rather than later...

-keep

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ

Well when VCRs first came out this was actually a very large cause of debate. When mp3 players and music download systems first became popular there were lots of comparisons drawn to earlier video tech.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Wal-Mart Wants $10 CDs : Rolling Stone

This Rolling Stone story is based around the debate of Wal-Mart selling $10 CDs. At the very bottom is a pricing breakdown of where the money goes from a $15.99 CD sale, according to the Almighty Institute of Music Retail.

$0.17 Musicians' unions
$0.80 Packaging/manufacturing
$0.82 Publishing royalties
$0.80 Retail profit
$0.90 Distribution
$1.60 Artists' royalties
$1.70 Label profit
$2.40 Marketing/promotion
$2.91 Label overhead
$3.89 Retail overhead

Good find! So lets say that the average CD has 15 tracks, that means the artist is really only getting about 11 cents a song on a $15.99 I've seen varying articles out there, 1 even said only $1 of the CD sale goes to the artist but the bottom line is when you buy a CD the artist is getting maybe 10% of that so the piracy thing isn't affecting the artist but everyone else that has their hands in on the sales from it. This is probably why it's not surprising to see artists starting up their own record labels and such so they can cut out some of the BS that goes along with producing a CD.

Some of these artists are even doing things like offering free downloads of a new single for a limited time on their websites (like a 1 day thing) to help promote their music which I'm sure gets the RIAA all riled up how they are just "giving away" a song like that.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown

Nope, that case was settled a long time ago (1984- US Supreme Court Sony v Universal)

Last edited: