Ripping CDs now NOT illegal???

Should you be allowed to rip CD's for your own private use?

• Total voters

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Re: Ripping CD's for personal use is illegal according to the RIAA

Some of these artists are even doing things like offering free downloads of a new single for a limited time on their websites (like a 1 day thing) to help promote their music which I'm sure gets the RIAA all riled up how they are just "giving away" a song like that.

And obviously this is why the Radiohead pick-a-price digital downloads raised such a commotion. Yes, people only paid an average of $2.62 for the album but that is still over a dollar more per album than they could expect from traditional sales. And with a million downloads of the album that adds up to a hefty sum.

Now I'm not convinced that the strategy is sustainable. It may only be effective now because it is getting so much free media attention and thus eliminates marketing costs. However, as long as a band has a large fanbase or enough word-of-mouth attention, this method appears to be the best option for both artists and consumers. It's fast, easy, flexible and far less expensive for listeners while it appears to have the potential to be more profitable for musicians. You could also imagine that free or cheap downloads can give an artist more exposure to marginal fans that otherwise wouldn't spend the cash to take a chance on an unfamiliar artist; meaning a larger fanbase in the long-run.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

And obviously this is why the Radiohead pick-a-price digital downloads raised such a commotion. Yes, people only paid an average of $2.62 for the album but that is still over a dollar more per album than they could expect from traditional sales. And with a million downloads of the album that adds up to a hefty sum.

Now I'm not convinced that the strategy is sustainable. It may only be effective now because it is getting so much free media attention and thus eliminates marketing costs. However, as long as a band has a large fanbase or enough word-of-mouth attention, this method appears to be the best option for both artists and consumers. It's fast, easy, flexible and far less expensive for listeners while it appears to have the potential to be more profitable for musicians. You could also imagine that free or cheap downloads can give an artist more exposure to marginal fans that otherwise wouldn't spend the cash to take a chance on an unfamiliar artist; meaning a larger fanbase in the long-run.

I loved that they did that. I ended up paying 10 pounds for it (I can't find the little curly "L" icon), which is probably the same as I would have paid for it in the store. I thought it was genius, though - you're right, only a band that huge could be the first to do it, kind of like when Stephen King released that book straight-to-internet.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

RIAA is related to NCAA. Scrooge is in their middle name.

I quit buying CDa because I never played them -I listened to talk radio most of the time.

Too many people living off recording gravy - too much overhead for non value added.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Re: Ripping CD's/RIAA

I went to prison after being raided by the feds for "Conspiracy to commit copyright infringement." - Yep, went to prison for music piracy. WTF!

I do rip CDs for my own use at home and keep them on my computer, but no longer share music with anyone else. It's a long story but I have it written here.

prisonreallysucks.blogspot.com

-Bruce
[email protected]
-AIM/AOL: phyteguru

Wow some crazy stuff there. So I'm assuming your out now? Was it actually 30 days or did it turn out to be 6 months. Hope things are going well.

C

Cyclone42

I went to prison after being raided by the feds for "Conspiracy to commit copyright infringement." - Yep, went to prison for music piracy. WTF!

IMO, you deserve prison for putting white text on a black background. Tried reading that blog early in the morning, after getting up, and gave up. A guy should sue for eye damage. :smile: Also, learn more about a typographic invention called the paragraph. Makes long diatribes much easier to follow.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I do rip CDs for my own use at home and keep them on my computer, but no longer share music with anyone else. It's a long story but I have it written here.

prisonreallysucks.blogspot.com

-Bruce
[email protected]
-AIM/AOL: phyteguru

Your blog has no text....

cyclonejd

Jul 26, 2006
Ankeny

IMO, you deserve prison for putting white text on a black background. Tried reading that blog early in the morning, after getting up, and gave up. A guy should sue for eye damage. :smile: Also, learn more about a typographic invention called the paragraph. Makes long diatribes much easier to follow.

Wow, go easy on the guy would ya. That was pretty harsh. The dude was a first time poster and you come out with guns a blazin. I don't think he was attempting to write an article for a journal to publish but more of a personal blog. If your eyes hurt come back over to C.F. and read about Jon Miller turning into a Clone or something constructive. No need to tell a guy who had to spend time in prison that he should go back for his blog thats a low blow.(IMO)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Mr Public Genie:
istockphoto_977005_genie_out_of_the_bottle.jpg

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like someone in RIAA contacts those friendly people in Korea, Chiona, Germany, Iran, Myramar and Russia to also solicit their cooperation.