RIP, Veishea

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
While I don't blame Leath for the VEISHEA decision, because he really was in between a rock and a hard place, he overall has made some terrible decisions in past couple years. The Bubu fiasco is one thing. I've heard from countless people who work for the university that he fires valuable University employees who have been there for decades with no cause.

Seems like a guy that's on a power trip. He should takes notes from the job Geoffroy did..

Yep. Hearing from Ames people that he is replacing the oldtimers with His Yes Men. Not a good thing in my opinion.

Oh, what lovely rumors you have.
All the better to DERP you with, my dear!

I don't suppose you have any actual examples of people being let go without cause or "Yes Men" being appointed? Didn't think so.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
what lovely rumors you have. I don't suppose you have any actual examples of people being let go without cause or "Yes Men" being appointed? Didn't think so.
I bet he'll have links to something like "the top 10 recipes using okra."

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I don't think that's really how it usually works for state employees.

Ohhh.... why get in the way of an internet lynch mob?

h79978A62

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I was in bed at 10pm the night of the riot. I was then told the following day by a fellow student/coworker "Dude, it's Veishea! How were you not ********* on Welch!?"

That right there is the problem. An incredibly large number of ISU students have/had no idea what the celebration was intended for, and considered it a week long drunk fest in which they can bring their friends from out of town and show off "how hard Ames parties".

I'm not sure what else could have been done to save it, but until students realize that it's not always about getting drunk and rioting (which has been imprinted into ISU student DNA for years), then there's no reason to have it.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I was in bed at 10pm the night of the riot. I was then told the following day by a fellow student/coworker "Dude, it's Veishea! How were you not ********* on Welch!?"

That right there is the problem. An incredibly large number of ISU students have/had no idea what the celebration was intended for, and considered it a week long drunk fest in which they can bring their friends from out of town and show off "how hard Ames parties".

I'm not sure what else could have been done to save it, but until students realize that it's not always about getting drunk and rioting (which has been imprinted into ISU student DNA for years), then there's no reason to have it.

people told me the exact same thing whether at class to people i barely talked to or friends. That is the problem right there.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He's absolutely right. Just because he's a MOD he shouldn't point out your hypocricy? Whether you choose to believe it or not the numbers added by onlookers gives power to the mob mentality. A mob that outnumbers police 10 to 1 generally won't do everything that a mob that outnumbers police 20 to 1 will do and a mob that out numbers police 50 to 1 will generally feel they can get away with things that they wouldn't be comfortable doing outnumbering police 20 to 1. Like it or not all of the onlookers are contributing to that mob mentality and feeling of safety in numbers.

You brought the issue of who was to blame up by pointing at the administration; Janny didn't.

I thought eight police were working that night. A hundred people would be a mob to eight people manning the city.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's generally difficult to clear out state employees with decades of service, too, even though someone through out a rumor to that effect.
Unless you pull over the governor driving like he stole it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It's generally difficult to clear out state employees with decades of service, too, even though someone through out a rumor to that effect.

The majority of P&S employees at ISU are at-will employees, meaning there is no guarantee that their employment be continued beyond this minute.
If I was not currently volunteering at the Iowa State Fair and not on my phone, I would find and post the link to that description.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If someone needs to google "What to do in a riot?" then this person needs to have his/her intelligence seriously questioned.

YOU LEAVE the premise ASAP ! Don't cry foul when you get sprayed or tear gassed by the cops because you "were just there watching".

In this Ames riot, there's no one stopping you from leaving the area. It wasn't in the locked indoor arena. There was no Berlin Wall with soldiers with machine guns. Stating that "you can't leave" because you don't know how to get away is somewhat insulting.

Don't be part of the mob. Yes, there's always guilty by association and the cops don't have luxury of cherry picking if there are a lot of people

And honestly, I've been in worse places where VEISHEA riot was just a piece of cake. And I always knew that the best thing to do is to leave the area.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+to+do+in+a+riot?#seen

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
Well Mr. Janny, since you asked...

Dan Saftig is someone that comes to mind. Below is the Ames Trib article about his firing.

http://amestrib.com/sections/news/a...undation-president-paid-400000-severance.html

As a family friend of the Saftigs from this was obviously upsetting. To an extent I can't blame Leath for wanting to use his own people, but at the same time, you can't really blame anyone who knew Dan Saftig for having beef with Leath. Just go to the Gilbert School district and ask around. I remember the day news got around than Dan Saftig was being pushed out by Leath. Students and teachers were in disbelief. Huge bummer for the Gilbert school district as the lost one of their most valuable families, and a huge loss to ISU considering what Dan had done for the school. Not surprisingly, because of Dan's reputation he was immediately offered jobs from major schools, and eventually took a lead roll with Arizona State's fundraising foundation. But the quote from the article below really makes me wonder why Leath wouldn't have kept him.

https://asunews.asu.edu/20130904-saftig-foundation

Directly from the article above.
Saftig’s focus on major university fundraising efforts is familiar territory. He introduced “Campaign Iowa State” upon his arrival in Ames, with a goal of generating $800 million, that was launched in 2007. The campaign raised $867 million in gifts and commitments, realizing more philanthropic support than in the previous 25 years, and raising 30 percent more than two previous campaigns combined.
“In addition to being the absolute best fundraising professional I know, Dan is a great leader,” said former Iowa State University President Gregory L. Geoffroy. “He took a fundraising foundation (at Iowa State) and transformed it into a high-performing organization with a superb team of professionals who loved working under his leadership."

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Leath did shake things up quite a bit when he came in with employees, although some of it was promoting from within too. Also, don't take my defense of Leath on the VEISHEA decision as saying that Leath has had a great presidency so far. He has done some great things, but there have been things he has handled very poorly. The Harkin Institute debacle comes to mind (one of ISU's prominent alumni gave his papers to Drake instead of ISU). There was politics on both sides at play on that issue, but I wish they could have worked something out so that Harkin's papers could have stayed at ISU.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
He promoted Wickert from Engineering Dean to Vice President and Provost and brought in a top figure in the University of North Carolina system (where Leath was previously Vice president for Research) to be his chief of staff (Miles Lackey).

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
He promoted Wickert from Engineering Dean to Vice President and Provost and brought in a top figure in the University of North Carolina system (where Leath was previously Vice president for Research) to be his chief of staff (Miles Lackey).
Wickert applied for the provost position, so Leath had no choice but to give it to him or he would have left as engineering dean for the first good job. Wickert wants to be a college president someday - hope after he gets to be one he eventually comes back to ISU as Prez as he is a very dynamic guy.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Either you are arguing just to argue or you seriously lack common sense. You seriously think kids "in the middle of the riot" were desperately trying to escape!? That's complete BS, and I think you know it. They were drunk and they were having fun being lunatics.

If, hypothetically speaking, someone was in the middle of the crowd who didn't want to be there then I'm sure they knew exactly what they needed to do. Get out. Leave. You act like there should be some handbook on reacting to a riot. It isn't neurosurgery. Use your legs to exit the crowd of maniacs. It isn't near as complicated as you're trying to make it. You're either being overly sympathetic or super dramatic.

I didn't realize we had so many riot control experts contributing here. Maybe some of you should join the force or start an awareness campaign or do something constructive other than castigate every single person who didn't have the good sense to stay out of Campustown.

I've never been in Campustown during a riot, and other than the embarrassment of being associated with a university that some people associate with rioting, I have no dog in this fight. I just don't understand why some of you have such a broad definition of "involvement" in a riot. I've outlined several reasons why people in Campustown, even during a riot, might not be complicit. But go ahead, group them all together.