Ridley: Who owns who?

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I think the Ridley mismatch is the key to tonight's game. At 6'9', 285, he's a mismatch on both ends of the floor. If we can keep him from having a big night on offense, both scoring and rebounding, I like our chances. If they can find a way for him to match up with someone on defense, then it could be trouble for us.

I'm hoping this matchup plays out like the Basabe matchup did in the Iowa where he got only 17 minutes because he couldn't match up with anyone on defense.

Note: In no way am I comparing Ridley to Basabe, just hoping for the same outcome. Basabe wasn't a matchup problem on offense, but I think Ridley might be.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Just gotta keep him away from the hoop to hopefully force Barnes' hand.

Would love for Georges to hit a couple 3's off the bat and make that happen quicker.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Just gotta keep him away from the hoop to hopefully force Barnes' hand.

Would love for Georges to hit a couple 3's off the bat and make that happen quicker.

Yup, that'll be the plan. His man will have to hit outside and/or drive by him using greater quickness.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
UT has 9 players playing at least 10 minutes in the conference games, and another one playing about 9 minutes. These 10 have seen action in either of 11/12 or 12/12 conference games. The Ridley matchup is important, but I think it will come down to whether Hoiberg can prevent Barnes from using UT's depth to wear out ISU.

Last edited:

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
I think the Ridley mismatch is the key to tonight's game. At 6'9', 285, he's a mismatch on both ends of the floor.

So best to keep up the pace and leave him in the middle of the court as much as possible. He flat out can't run with us when we're on tempo.

Cy241

Dec 19, 2013
Johnston, IA
This topic makes me think of a quote in one of Bob Knight's books. A defense can only decide who a player guards or what location on the floor a player guards. They can't pick both. You find their weakness based on which option they pick. (not word for word)

If in man to man our bigs need to draw Ridley out from the paint. If in zone, our guards need to attack and pick up some cheap fouls.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
UT has 9 players playing at least 10 minutes in the conference games, and another one playing about 9 minutes. These 10 have seen action in either of 11/12 or 12/12 conference games. The Ridley matchup is important, but I think it will come down to whether Hoiberg can prevent Barnes from using UT's depth to wear out ISU.

They sound like they have lots of depth.

Riddley runs fairly good. He might be a better football guard.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I've been saying to my co-workers for the past week the game will go like this: Georges hits some early threes we win. Georges is off from three we lose. To me it is as simple as that.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I am in favor of putting Daniel Edozie on him early and let the big lug burn more calories than he is used to burning. Exhausted fat guys don't usually play well.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Could not buy a 3 ball last time and got eaten up a couple times on the glass. Gegorges and Melvin need to knock down a deep ball and guards need to hit the boards hard. Playing TX is not rockect science. They are grinders and want to make this an in the paint slugfest.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I am in favor of putting Daniel Edozie on him early and let the big lug burn more calories than he is used to burning. Exhausted fat guys don't usually play well.
I wonder if we see Gibson early. How hard can it be to get him to use his body to make Ridley work hard and shoot FTs? A two for one foul trade would work.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
I wonder if we see Gibson early. How hard can it be to get him to use his body to make Ridley work hard and shoot FTs? A two for one foul trade would work.

Except that Ridley is a 62% FT shooter on his own and you'd be pushing them into the bonus faster where their even better FT shooters would get up more.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
My amateur analysis is that we should have Niang start it off at the top of the key. Post Kane with Ejim and Hogue working off screens towards the rim. Niang then has option to shoot the three/drive depending on the defense or dump off to Kane in the post.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Except that Ridley is a 62% FT shooter on his own and you'd be pushing them into the bonus faster where their even better FT shooters would get up more.
Which is still better than Georges or Ejim giving him an even easier shot to avoid similar fouls, or Georges and Ejim picking up cheap fouls in the first half when the game is not decided. If Ejim or Georges pick up a foul in the first 10 minutes, I think Gibson is worth the try. Making Ridley shoot FTs is better than lay-ups and maybe you get lucky and Ridley picks up a foul. We know by now that Georges or Ejim can either play little to no defense and play 30+ minutes or play defense and have foul trouble.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron