Ricky Doyle from Michigan to transfer

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Don't want. I don't think we can take on a transfer that has to sit out unless he's high level

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Isn't he the 2nd Michigan player to announce intentions to transfer?

Spike Albrecht?

We already have 2 shooting guards with hip surgery recovery issues. One of whom I'm 100% sure is better than the Spike.

I'm thinking we should be able to land a top notch big with our returning guards, home court advantage, current history, awesome weather, etc.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I actually think the new NBA rule that allows players to tryout without getting an agent and this 500+ transfers a year is bad for the game.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I actually think the new NBA rule that allows players to tryout without getting an agent and this 500+ transfers a year is bad for the game.

You think kids that have to make a decision at the age of 17 should be locked into a 4-5 year contract without the inability to transfer despite things like family changes, coaching changes or just general overall happiness?

I'm a pretty loyal guy, but I don't see how giving college aged kids the ability to do something better for themselves is a bad thing.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You think kids that have to make a decision at the age of 17 should be locked into a 4-5 year contract without the inability to transfer despite things like family changes, coaching changes or just general overall happiness?

I'm a pretty loyal guy, but I don't see how giving college aged kids the ability to do something better for themselves is a bad thing.

Completely agree. I understand how people think that it is "bad for the game" because of the sheer volume of kids moving within an off season. But to be real, most are going to be going to level or lower level programs from their original school. But only a limited group of these kids are truly high level prospects. Now, that being said there are going to be kids who are doing it for the wrong reasons, but those few shouldn't ruin it for the many.

I think what hurts it more are the coaches giving limitations on who they can and cannot go to. If a kid realizes he will not play at his current school and wants to go to another school in conference where he feels he will have a better chance, a coach should not be able to say "no you can't go there" because if the coach was truly worried about having to play that kid once or twice in a season, he should have used him while he had the chance.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

This.

How can a talented player staying in college due to feedback from NBA people be bad for college basketball? I can't wrap my head around the logic.

The transfers are a different subject altogether.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This.

How can a talented player staying in college due to feedback from NBA people be bad for college basketball? I can't wrap my head around the logic.

The transfers are a different subject altogether.

Basketball needs to go to a different model. Maybe it's the hockey or baseball model. Let the truly great ones go pro if they think they are in the situation to do it. Hell, let them get drafted, look at the situation and then decide what they want to do. If they want to go to college, then they have to stay there for, say, three years. If they don't, they shouldn't have to. This isn't football where guys just aren't physically ready.

Of course, the problem is in the NBA who doesn't want to have a serious development league and would rather use the NCAA as that. The new rule is fine and probably doesn't matter because a lot of these guys testing the waters won't be invited to a combine taking time away from school and such, but it's kind of stupid. The guys who were going to positively rated know it. I can't think of a single player who will be told something they wouldn't have expected in a way that moves them to the draft.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
As for Doyle, I've watched him a lot. He was very promising as a freshman but took a step back this year. He has a decent amount of scoring skill from the block and he's a decent enough athlete but he doesn't have good hands which was a huge deal for him and he gets out of position defensively. He's a decent rebounder but not great. He's the kind of guy you pass on and maybe in a couple years really wish you had him on the bench. You can't afford to spend ships on that kind of guy though. I'd actually probably rather have Spike more because of his leadership and locker room presence.