Richardson still ready but Rohach is waiting in the wings

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The fact that they won't be prepped for Rohach shouldn't really matter. He's not really a different QB than Richardson and we run the same offense with both of them.

Baylor is prepping for a QB with a bad ankle that they do not expect to run a lot and if so, they plan on making him pay for running.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Baylor is prepping for a QB with a bad ankle that they do not expect to run a lot and if so, they plan on making him pay for running.

Exactly. With Rohach coming in, we would be able to actually use the QB as part of the run game, and if we want to hang with Baylor, we need the best running game we can get.

An injured Sam does not give us that best running game.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think a key to having a chance this weekend is sustained drives by us (no 3 and outs). I think you have to give Grant a shot if there isn't much movement. It may be great or may confirm we need to go back to Sam. But like others have said, if that means it helps Sam refocus/get healthy, that is ok as well.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'd consider starting Rohach this weekend. If it looks like the defense can hold Baylor to a manageable number then we can use Sam if needed.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'd rather just start Rohach than put Sam in a position where he tries to do to much because he doesn't want to get pulled. And I also don't want the kind of QB controversy that could arise if Sam got pulled rather than just being sat out completely. Just give the kid a week off, he needs it. I'd rather have a healthier Sam the rest of the season than a slightly less bad loss to Baylor. After this week we have 6 games that will likely have combined lines of less than 33 points. Those are the games we need our starting QB for.

And I'd sincerely hope that starting our backup rather than a QB who can barely walk and has a bruised throwing hand doesn't decrease our chance at a win by very much.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
One of the biggest signs of our offensive coaching weakness is the staff's utter inability to coach (or even manage) the quarterback position. This has been the case for the entirety of Rhoads' tenure, but is especially pronounced with Mess.

The worst part is their terrible understanding of sports psychology ... and especially their tendency (both Mess and Rhoads) to publicly throw both quarterbacks under the bus.

Terrible.

I'd rather just start Rohach than put Sam in a position where he tries to do to much because he doesn't want to get pulled. And I also don't want the kind of QB controversy that could arise if Sam got pulled rather than just being sat out completely. Just give the kid a week off, he needs it. I'd rather have a healthier Sam the rest of the season than a slightly less bad loss to Baylor. After this week we have 6 games that will likely have combined lines of less than 33 points. Those are the games we need our starting QB for.

And I'd sincerely hope that starting our backup rather than a QB who can barely walk and has a bruised throwing hand doesn't decrease our chance at a win by very much.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

So they have to make an in game adjustment and play the zone read a little bit differently. Any decent college team should be able to make that adjustment. It's simply not rocket science.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So they have to make an in game adjustment and play the zone read a little bit differently. Any decent college team should be able to make that adjustment. It's simply not rocket science.

If you aren't a good run defending team that usually has something to do with discipline. The whole point of the zone read is to attack poor discipline.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This sucks for Sam. I really think that when he's healthy he's the best option for ISU at QB. But when he's dragging himself around on one leg it takes away his mobility, which is his best asset. And it affects his throwing accuracy. If he struggles early against Baylor, I hope Rhoads pulls him. The catch is that regardless of how Rohach plays, Sam should get the job back once he's healthy or close to it. I don't think starters should lose their positions due to injury.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If you aren't a good run defending team that usually has something to do with discipline. The whole point of the zone read is to attack poor discipline.

Yes, but I think my point still stands that if Baylor's defense is good at all they'll be able to make an in game adjustment and defend it. Not to mention the fact that there is no way Baylor isn't preparing for the zone read and a mobile quarterback, in the event that either Sam is healthy or that Grant gets the snaps.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Where have we heard this story before? We have the quickest hook on QBs I've ever seen. It's Jantz, then Barnett, then Jantz, then Richarson, then Jantz, then Richardson, now Rohach.

I hope this is 100% injury related and not production related...

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
This sucks for Sam. I really think that when he's healthy he's the best option for ISU at QB. But when he's dragging himself around on one leg it takes away his mobility, which is his best asset. And it affects his throwing accuracy. If he struggles early against Baylor, I hope Rhoads pulls him. The catch is that regardless of how Rohach plays, Sam should get the job back once he's healthy or close to it. I don't think starters should lose their positions due to injury.

Glad you don't coach my favorite NFL team, the 49ers..........

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
One of the biggest signs of our offensive coaching weakness is the staff's utter inability to coach (or even manage) the quarterback position. This has been the case for the entirety of Rhoads' tenure, but is especially pronounced with Mess.

The worst part is their terrible understanding of sports psychology ... and especially their tendency (both Mess and Rhoads) to publicly throw both quarterbacks under the bus.

Terrible.

I have thought this very post countless times in the past year. It's horrible how we've handled the B spot and to compound the problem, we've tossed our players to wolves to deflect our poor coaching/teaching.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

TT was absolutely not ready for Sam to run, because they knew he was hurt and limited. He would have gone in for a score on the 39 yard run he had if he would have been health. TT also did not play the option very well even though they should have know Sam would not keep it. This is one of the true telling problems with ISU in general. Teams absolutely know the play that is coming, even better than the ISU offense. When the Clones do something different, it usually results in a big play.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Glad you don't coach my favorite NFL team, the 49ers..........

Two different sets of circumstances. Jim Harbaugh inherited Alex Smith from the previous regime. Kaepernick was his guy from the get go and Alex Smith's concussion just sped up the ineveitable.

Here you have two guys both recruited by Rhoads. And what's not being talked about are intangibles. Maybe Rohach has superior physical skills. But will his teammates battle for him like they will for Richardson? I'm not in that locker room, but I would guess Sam has won a lot of admiration for toughing out some painful injuries and getting up, one big hit after another. Not saying Rohach can't be a leader, I'm just saying Richardson has earned that respect. If Sam sits and doesn't get the nod again once he's healthy enough to go, the staff risks undermining the confidence of both QBs and we're right back on the Jantz/Barnett merry go round. Rohach was the backup at the start of the year for a reason; Sam is the better option when he's healthy.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Where have we heard this story before? We have the quickest hook on QBs I've ever seen. It's Jantz, then Barnett, then Jantz, then Richarson, then Jantz, then Richardson, now Rohach.

I hope this is 100% injury related and not production related...

I've seen one poster in any thread call for Richardson to be pulled for Rohach. And I'm pretty sure that is Rohach's dad. What people have been calling for is to allow Richardson a week where his only job is to do whatever the trainer tells him to do. The guy needs a chance to get healthy so we can win some games with him in the second half of the season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, if Baylor goes on a tear and gets up by 3 or more TDs early they might want to sit Richardson just so he doesn't get more beat up for no good return (like winning the game). If we are competitive and can keep it a game I am assuming he plays the whole game.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
You need to get Grant snaps. Sam at 60% may be our best option, but doing just enough to lose is an exercise in futility. Give Grant some chances, mix it up. we go three and out so often is it really gonna hurt?

I don't look at it as giving up on the season, but giving Grant and the team a chance to learn and improve and spell Sam. I don't see how you have a choice at this point with Sam's health.

i really believe if Sam was 100% we'd have a much better Offense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron