Rhoads vs McCarney

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
a good coach doesn't **** the big xii north title two years in a row by making the exact same mistake.

after Kansas in 2005, i could have shot the bastard. just a stabbing after MU in 2004 :yes:

Once again, I never said he was perfect or brilliant, but a good coach keeps us in the running for the Big 12 north title two years in a row.

That being said, had you shot him and I saw it happen, I probably would have had your back.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
How is it bs?

The man took over an BAD program that was among the worst in the BCS and took us to 5 bowl games in 6 years. And ended the 15 year Hawkeye onslaught of losses. The point I'm trying to make is that once Mac had turned around the program, fan expectations became elevated as well. We all wanted to make the next step. Mac was the right guy to turn the program around, but wasn't the right guy to make the next leap forward the fans wanted to see, which became clear after he missed some BIG opportunities to do so.

Look at our fan expectations now compared to when he took over. In 1995, fans would have killed to go to a bowl game and to beat Iowa. Now under Rhoads we aren't content just making it to a bowl game. We expect to compete with anyone and want to see a Big 12 championship brought to Ames someday. Without everything McCarney did, we aren't where we are now.

I do consider his tenure a success, not simply because of the "we were bad before he took over" excuse, but because he laid the foundation for our program to keep improving. He served his role, and now he has moved on. And so has our program.

Another fallacy.

The program was never "turned around" that implies real success. HALE of D1 fb goes to bowl games now. He had ONE team that would have definitely made it, and two others that might have made bowl games. "Turning around" a program implies that you do better than the bottom tier of bowl games that your conference is affiliated with. "Turning around" does not mean shreveport and boise.

Other than the first Insight, which was 5th in the conference bowl hierarchy that year, the best we ever did was 7th. Shreveport, Houston, and Boise are NOT destination bowls. You end up in those bowls when you are either mediocre or your season falls apart.

What happened under mac was that all of the North got bad at the same time, and we became the "best" of the bad teams. A step up from where we were, but nothing as spectacular as the revisionists try to make it sound.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hold on there, turbo. You didn't hear me say that Mac was brilliant. You didn't hear me say that he was the best coach in the country or that he made all the right decisions. I think this thread has shown that he clearly didn't make all the right decisions, BUT I do believe he did some great things for Iowa State football to "turn us from a bad program to something good". Exactly as I said. It was a good investment and has lead us to the position we are today.

Rhoads is an amazing coach and he is an opportunist. i know he is the one who called Pollard. That isn't in question. He wouldn't have called Pollard to take the Head Coaching job at ISU if we weren't in a position to have some success. Mac, despite his flaws, put us in that position. Back to my previous statements, you don't get Rhoads without Mac. Mac was worth the investment and did mediocre with a little for a long time. You won't hear me say he was the best coach ever or that he was the best strategist in the world, but I won't deny that he put us in a better position to be successful. That wasn't dumb luck. It wasn't dumb luck to beat Iowa as many times as he did or have some success...not a ton, but some.

I actually have had the honor of playing football for both Rhoads and Mac.
Rhoads was my position coach in 96 and 97 while Mac was the head coach. I understand each of them and their contributions to Iowa State football very well. Paul Rhoads is the best coach I have ever played for. Hands down. He is going to do amazing things with this program and the investment we made in Mediocre Mac was worth it so that we could be where we are today.

Now this is someone I want to listen to. Thanks for bringing some actual personal experience and an well-informed opinion into the discussion.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
How is it bs?

The man took over an BAD program that was among the worst in the BCS and took us to 5 bowl games in 6 years. And ended the 15 year Hawkeye onslaught of losses. The point I'm trying to make is that once Mac had turned around the program, fan expectations became elevated as well. We all wanted to make the next step. Mac was the right guy to turn the program around, but wasn't the right guy to make the next leap forward the fans wanted to see, which became clear after he missed some BIG opportunities to do so.

Look at our fan expectations now compared to when he took over. In 1995, fans would have killed to go to a bowl game and to beat Iowa. Now under Rhoads we aren't content just making it to a bowl game. We expect to compete with anyone and want to see a Big 12 championship brought to Ames someday. Without everything McCarney did, we aren't where we are now.

I do consider his tenure a success, not simply because of the "we were bad before he took over" excuse, but because he laid the foundation for our program to keep improving. He served his role, and now he has moved on. And so has our program.
snyder at ksu ACTUALLY did what you seem to think DMac was able to accomplish but did not.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Once again, I never said he was perfect or brilliant, but a good coach keeps us in the running for the Big 12 north title two years in a row.

That being said, had you shot him and I saw it happen, I probably would have had your back.

A good coach doesn't lose the same way over and over and over and over and over and over and over again either.

A good coach doesn't have to totally depend on every other team in their division tanking to historic lows to be "competitive" either.

I don't wish mac ill will, and would never want harm to come to him, well except for how bad he treated his first wife, he deserves scorn for that.

But I am glad as hell that he can no longer prevent my favorite team from winning anymore.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What happened under mac was that all of the North got bad at the same time, and we became the "best" of the bad teams. A step up from where we were, but nothing as spectacular as the revisionists try to make it sound.

That's the point I've been trying to make. Mac's tenure wasn't dazzling, but he did give our program a much needed shot in the arm.

snyder at ksu ACTUALLY did what you seem to think DMac was able to accomplish but did not.

When did I try to say Mac's turnaround was as good as Snyder's? I'm very much aware of the disparity between what these two coaches did. See my above comment. Mac wasn't spectacular, but he did succeed just enough to raise expectations. Without raised expectations, JP's push for an increase in revenue doesn't happen. Paul Rhoads doesn't happen, or at least his tenure doesn't transpire the way it has so far.

FWIW now that you mention it, I do believe Rhoads has the potential to have Snyder-like success.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Too bad that North Texas State is at Houston rather than at home on the Saturday when we play at TCU. It might have been fun to make a road trip and see both teams play.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Too bad that North Texas State is at Houston rather than at home on the Saturday when we play at TCU. It might have been fun to make a road trip and see both teams play.
wadr, i never want to see a dmac coached team play ever again

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
wadr, i never want to see a dmac coached team play ever again

Yea, I know most wouldn't want to see him coach, but I wish him well and hope he succeeds there. Seems like tickets wouldn't be too hard to get.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
That's the point I've been trying to make. Mac's tenure wasn't dazzling, but he did give our program a much needed shot in the arm.

When did I try to say Mac's turnaround was as good as Snyder's? I'm very much aware of the disparity between what these two coaches did. See my above comment. Mac wasn't spectacular, but he did succeed just enough to raise expectations. Without raised expectations, JP's push for an increase in revenue doesn't happen. Paul Rhoads doesn't happen, or at least his tenure doesn't transpire the way it has so far.

FWIW now that you mention it, I do believe Rhoads has the potential to have Snyder-like success.

If that is what you were trying to say, then cool, and I apologize.

But to say that he was EVER a victim of his own success is the biggest fallacy in the world. Especially true, when you consider how he tried to spin everything to lower expectations.

Sports Illustrated had a cover story on KState a long time ago. They called KState the WORST program ever in the NCAA. They had different rules with jucos that helped, but you see the effect Snyder had this past two years after Prince cratered that program.

And going back to a point I made in another thread, the good thing for CPR is that we don't know what the ceiling is here. mac the mediocre blew so many games that could have been program makers, that there is no way he maxed out what could be done at Iowa State.

Add the crater that he left, add a coaching change two years later, and you realize that CPR is BUILDING a program, not "re" building one.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

Maybe you can get the alumi association to sponser an event.:sad:

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
A good coach doesn't lose the same way over and over and over and over and over and over and over again either.

A good coach doesn't have to totally depend on every other team in their division tanking to historic lows to be "competitive" either.

I don't wish mac ill will, and would never want harm to come to him, well except for how bad he treated his first wife, he deserves scorn for that.

But I am glad as hell that he can no longer prevent my favorite team from winning anymore.

I love the standard you are holding ISU football. It is great. You are saying that lower end bowl games and missed opportunities for Big 12 championships aren't good enough. You are right. It isn't good enough, but to not acknowledge that Mac helped propel ISU forward is ridiculous. There are very few coaches that could have turned around the monstrosity that was Iowa State football. He did his job of that taking us from something bad to something good, so it was a good investment.

What I am saying is that before Mac, you would have gotten laughed off a thread like this. ISU was horrible. I mean really bad. With Mac coming on board, the tide turned. What counts at the end of the day is winning games, playing for the Big 12 North Championship, and going bowling. That happened in Mac's era. Say it didn't mean as much back then all you want. The fact is we were better than half of the college football teams in the country...knowing where we came from before Mac, that is a pretty big deal.

I love Mac by the way. He is a great guy and really cared about ISU football. He was awesome in a locker room and a very good thing for ISU. Yes, we had our disappointments under his tenure, but he laid a foundation to bring us closer to the standard you hold us to now. If he did nothing other than that, he did his job well.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I love the standard you are holding ISU football. It is great. You are saying that lower end bowl games and missed opportunities for Big 12 championships aren't good enough. You are right. It isn't good enough, but to not acknowledge that Mac helped propel ISU forward is ridiculous. There are very few coaches that could have turned around the monstrosity that was Iowa State football. He did his job of that taking us from something bad to something good, so it was a good investment.

What I am saying is that before Mac, you would have gotten laughed off a thread like this. ISU was horrible. I mean really bad. With Mac coming on board, the tide turned. What counts at the end of the day is winning games, playing for the Big 12 North Championship, and going bowling. That happened in Mac's era. Say it didn't mean as much back then all you want. The fact is we were better than half of the college football teams in the country...knowing where we came from before Mac, that is a pretty big deal.

I love Mac by the way. He is a great guy and really cared about ISU football. He was awesome in a locker room and a very good thing for ISU. Yes, we had our disappointments under his tenure, but he laid a foundation to bring us closer to the standard you hold us to now. If he did nothing other than that, he did his job well.

Wow...

First, way to project opinions there sir.

Second, what standard am I holding my team to that's unreasonable? That 6 years into a tenure that they compete? That after "turning around" the program, we don't go winless in conference? That they don't have to rely on the rest of the division and iowa to get bad all at the same time to become relevant?

Oh I know, to expect a grown man to learn from his mistakes, and not do the same thing over and over and over when you know it doesn't work. To not have my intelligence insulted by meaningless spin and statistics designed to confuse rather than explain.

**** me for thinking that.

You know, I don't even mind mac the mediocre, but when the defenders come out of the woodwork because they think enough time has passed that they can try to revise what he really did, I get ******.