Rhoads Quote on RB competition

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I kind of hope he does. I just don't see why we need him this season with the likes of Wimberely, White, and Nealy as traditional backs, and Woody and Standard as the bruisers. Next year when White and Woody are graduated then we will have more of a need for Shontrelle.

If he can go he'll go, no reason to RS a healthy senior running back. Sounds like Woody will be playing less in the RB position and be more of a blocker or TE. Wimberly, Standard and Nealy will be back next year anyway. The only thing you can really make a case for would be using White instead, but with injuries we'll be better off playing him this year. Next year we will have Wimberly, Nealy and Standard which will be similar in comparison to what SJ, White and Woody have given us in their playing styles but probably with a little better receiving ability. White has made some great catches in his time here though thus far, the wheel route TD in the first OT against OSU comes to mind.

MSP

Aug 22, 2012
I love having this much depth at running back. It not only give us more ability to do different things but it gives the option of resting guys when they get dinged up during the season.

true, becuase if the line doesn't turn it around, it won't really matter if we have bo jackson in his prime...

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone else getting the feeling that Wimberly is the real deal? Just seems like from some quotes and from the practice video's he's got another gear that we've been missing on offense. Just hope the line can block consistently this year.

Agreed. Hopefully he holds on to the ball well. Our other running backs are pretty solid with that.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Seems like every year we hear how much depth they have at RB and how talented they are. But we have yet to see a 1000 yard back since ARob back in 2009. I know that the OL has been poor, but a good RB will make an average OL look great by finding small holes and getting through them. See Troy Davis, who busted out 2000 yard seasons will all of zero NFL OLs in front of him. ISU has NOT had that guy who can get yards that weren't there..

White - I've always thought he was a 3rd down back. He has good speed and can catch, but he's not elusive and goes down WAY too easily.
Woody - Should be getting more carries. They seem scared to give him the ball other than short yardage. He's not nearly as good of a blocker as you'd think he would be at that size, though.
SJ - Battled injuries, but even when healthy, he's never lived up to the promise he showed as a TRFR.
Nealy - For some reason they don't trust him. I don't know whether it is ball protection or blocking, but he was the best pure RB on the roster last season and hardly got to touch the ball. Even in the bowl game when the coaches said he was going to play more due to injuries, he barely played.
Standard - Low man on the totem pole. I was starting to think he was the odd man out, but him bulking up and taking over Woody's role might give him a place on the team after next year.
Wimberly - The great JUCO hope. He has speed for sure. Seems pretty small to be an every down back, but you never know.

I'm optimistic, but I refuse to buy into the hype that seems to come yearly with the ISU RBs.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Seems like every year we hear how much depth they have at RB and how talented they are. But we have yet to see a 1000 yard back since ARob back in 2009. I know that the OL has been poor, but a good RB will make an average OL look great by finding small holes and getting through them. See Troy Davis, who busted out 2000 yard seasons will all of zero NFL OLs in front of him. ISU has NOT had that guy who can get yards that weren't there
Davis did have an NFL lineman in front of him. You do realize we rotate RB's and our QB's get a lot of carries? A singular 1000-yard RB could not be more overrated.

When every position and component have performed as badly as our offense has, there is not just talent issues.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
With us rotating backs having a 1,000 yard back is extremely overrated. Also, Troy Davis was a Heisman finalist, far beyond what is expected from our running backs.

tee1up

Dec 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think we need a back that gets 15-20 carries a game. I don't think you can get a feel for the game if you are in and out, and get a carry here and there. Depth is great, but at some point I believe we are better going with one guy, and spelling him when necessary. It always seems like when a back gets going, he gets pulled and a new guy comes in. We out-think ourselves sometimes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron