Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This exactly. People thinking that the big players in each conference aren't setting the stage to maximize value are crazy. The bottom line is ISU, KU, and Okie St. are worth more than Vandy, Wake, BC, Rutgers, and Northwestern from a sports media perspective. Hell, look at the ACC per team payout, then consider what Clemson, ND and to a lesser extent FSU, UNC, UVa are worth. Being more valuable than the bottom of the ACC is a very low bar.

I'm not sure how all the GoR work, but if say 10/14 of the ACC are needed to dissolve and can the GoR, who's to say the top 10-12 of the conference don't do that? Hell, same goes for Big 10, SEC, and any conference.

None of these low men in their conferences should feel secure. On one hand you have everybody saying how cutthroat this is all going to be, but dismissing the idea that these conferences have a path to dissolve, dump a couple bottom feeders, and reconstitute a new league.
I am convinced this is exactly what is happening. Based in Dabo's offhand comments the last few weeks, I am sure Clemson was approached by the SEC. Especially, if you believe reports that the SEC approached OSU and Michigan.

In the end, there is a sweet spot for Fox and ESPN of elite teams they really feel add value through ratings. I don't know if that is 10 or 20 teams. Obviously, in the Big12, ESPN feels that is only Texas and OU.

Once the networks get their elite teams aligned, then the SEC and Big10 can add teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Ga Tech, etc.

I also agree there could be some subtraction in conferences like the Big10 and SEC. I don't think a lot, but a private school like Vandy might view the new SEC as above where they want to compete and search out G5 landing spot.

I don't think academics are much of a consideration for the SEC, but I think it will be for the Big10. Who knows, maybe Texas leaked this whole deal to see if the Big10 would make them an offer.

Reactions: cycloneworld

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Well, see, 8-4 in the SEC, the greatest conference in the land, is equivalent to 1 or 2 losses in a lesser conference because of the supreme nature of the competition even if one of the losses is to Vanderbilt which is excusable because it's hard to stay focused all the time in the greatest conference in the land and sometimes great teams overlook certain opponents who just happen to be in the greatest conference in the land so a loss like that really doesn't matter or even count, so it's like 3 losses which is like going undefeated in any other conference when you're playing in the greatest conference in the land.
Great audition for the job at ESPN! You'll get hired, no sweat.

Reactions: CycloneErik

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not sure if already posted, but article confirming OU and Texas are leaving.

What's so frustrating is the below from the above article.

"The Big 12 executive committee met with the presidents of Texas and Oklahoma on Sunday, and sources have told ESPN they are still trying to understand exactly what Oklahoma and Texas are looking for."

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
If the "Big 8" stick together and expand its suicide for everyone involved.

If the only other feasible option is dropping down to the American, could you blame us? B1G and PAC don’t have to expand at all if they don’t think we add value. This is best remaining option at that point. It’s a terrible option but it’s the best one of a bunch of terrible ones.

B787

Hates Money
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2018
Fire Bob Bowlsby!!!
Nah, that’s too easy. If anything, make him work, stress and sweat this one out like the rest of us. Firing him takes him off the hook for the mess created under his $4M/yr leadership. He’s already got one foot towards retirement anyway, why give him a severance now? Make him go sell new schools to the “new” Big 12 that none of the existing schools have any intention to be part of (except maybe Baylor).

Reactions: NWICY

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
If the only other feasible option is dropping down to the American, could you blame us? B1G and PAC don’t have to expand at all if they don’t think we add value. This is best remaining option at that point. It’s a terrible option but it’s the best one of a bunch of terrible ones.

Expanding back would essentially be dropping to the American. Not a chance the Big 12 stays P5. Iowa State has to move but I don't know if its possible

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So with this official announcement of UT and OU moving to the SEC, war has been declared between Fox Sports and ESPN.

Lets look at the players, on the ESPN side is the beast, SEC and the up and coming ACC, which also brings 5 ND games to be broadcast.

On the other side of the table for FOX is the Big 10 and BTN and last but not least Pac 12.

We can forget about the Big 12, they are now a dead man walking, hello death or the same thing G4 standing.

We know what ESPN is going to do, they are doing it now, but what about Fox. To me they have two choice, either try and get the Pac 12 and Big 10 to merge, by taking the best schools from the Pac 12, but by doing so, they also reduce the remaining schools to G4 standing.

Or the strongest position for Fox, tell the Big 10 to expand and expand now, then approach the Pac 12 and offer to purchase half of the Pac 12 network, with the backing of Fox that would get them on Direct and Dish TV, then tell them to pick over the rest of the Big 12 and go to a 16 conference.

With that last move, Fox now has an interest in both BTN and the PAC network, two strong league to take on one SEC and the ability to broadcast games every Saturday from 11:00 AM till Midnight. You wake up the breakfast with the BTN and go to bed with games from the Pac 12.

The remaining schools get folded into the AAC or the ACC if they want them, but you really do not care.

Its going to be an interesting week.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
At this point conferences are dumb for football. Seem to be trying to wedge something into a model that just seems to be irrelevant. SEC and B10 probably want the look of the traditional conference but the money from something completely different.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Expanding back would essentially be dropping to the American. Not a chance the Big 12 stays P5. Iowa State has to move but I don't know if its possible

At least it stays P5 through 2025…and it might make $3-5M more annually than the AAC.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Oh I agree it'd be more feasible for SEC/ESPN than for B1G/FOX... I just don't think it's realistic for the ACC to let itself be completely destroyed and relegated to G5 status for either of them.
But how is Clemson any different than OU or Texas. Is Clemson going to be satisfied making $40-50M a year, when they could be making $90-100M in the SEC or Big10?

Just like the Big12 with OU and Texas, ESPN's deal with the ACC conference is predicated on having Clemson, FL State and UNC as part of the ACC Network. Wake Forest, Duke, Louisville, Boston College can say they have a GOR through 2036- but my guess is ESPN will say the ACC Network contract has materially changed and will want to re-negotiate downward