Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not to mention people here greatly overrate Colorado’s appeal to the Big 10. Too many old Big 8 fans or wishful roadtrip thinking. A team that draws in the 40s for football and 7-8k for MBB isn’t terribly attractive. And people really don’t care about CU sports out there. They would be an OK add, but nothing special now that the value of tagging on to Granny in Denver’s cable package keeps getting diminished.

Agree with this 100%. But on the Ten12 podcast this morning they had a good point - The Big 10 or the Pac 12 will go to Fox, and they'll say, hey we are looking at adding ISU. How much more will we get from you guys, and will that increase or decrease the amount per school? That's what's going to drive if the conferences expand and if they do, who they add. While markets don't matter a ton, they still do matter when it comes to that question for TV networks who are paying the bills here.

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019

Is it an accident ISU isn’t listed, or are we just that far off the radar? I don’t think it’s an accident…

Pac-12 is the best option that is in the realm of possibility. JP will be going all-in on P12, because he knows this. If not, it’s relegation.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
These moves have to finally be what gets Notre Dame to join a conference.
WHY? ND has the best of both worlds they are making a ton of money with their NBC deal, and get to set their own schedule and have parked their other sports into the ACC.
The only way ND moves to a conference is there is a 30 or 40 team super conference formed, otherwise they will stay where they are and see what happens down the road.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I am convinced this is exactly what is happening. Based in Dabo's offhand comments the last few weeks, I am sure Clemson was approached by the SEC. Especially, if you believe reports that the SEC approached OSU and Michigan.

In the end, there is a sweet spot for Fox and ESPN of elite teams they really feel add value through ratings. I don't know if that is 10 or 20 teams. Obviously, in the Big12, ESPN feels that is only Texas and OU.

Once the networks get their elite teams aligned, then the SEC and Big10 can add teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Ga Tech, etc.

I also agree there could be some subtraction in conferences like the Big10 and SEC. I don't think a lot, but a private school like Vandy might view the new SEC as above where they want to compete and search out G5 landing spot.

I don't think academics are much of a consideration for the SEC, but I think it will be for the Big10. Who knows, maybe Texas leaked this whole deal to see if the Big10 would make them an offer.

This is where I think the blue bloods are wrong. They need teams to play. Because if they only play other blue bloods, you’ll have a lot of blue bloods going 6-6, 7-5 and even the top teams are going to lose games. And that happening over and over will lead to devaluing their blue blood brand.

Go look at the top teams and their schedules. They basically have to win 2-3 games per year against top competition. Do they really want to do that 12 times per year?

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Latest figures has Texas at $150 million, the number one program in revenues. Alabama is at $94 million, way down the list.
Would the SEC permit Texas to continue the LHN?
Subtract the ESPN LHN contribution and what's left? I ask because it's VERY clear ESPN wants out of that financial disaster and the SEC maneuver was the smartest play. That's a MUCH better indicator of the 'value' of Texas sports.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agree with this 100%. But on the Ten12 podcast this morning they had a good point - The Big 10 or the Pac 12 will go to Fox, and they'll say, hey we are looking at adding ISU. How much more will we get from you guys, and will that increase or decrease the amount per school? That's what's going to drive if the conferences expand and if they do, who they add. While markets don't matter a ton, they still do matter when it comes to that question for TV networks who are paying the bills here.
And the other point they will say is, we will have more inventory, instead of Illinois versus Maryland, we will give you ISU versus Wisconsin. More than just staring at one team. Other things like possible more/better bowl games. Get Alamo’s payout versus the pinstripe.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

"Iowa State is very similar to Kansas but only in Big Ten-name only. Iowa State is much more relevant on the football field and is a Big 12 contender. They should be shipped off to the Big Ten to remain a Power Five football team. Plus, that rivalry with Iowa could be even more heated every single season if they share a conference. Heck, share a division if they end up in the Big Ten West. Do not forget about their standout wrestling program, too. The Big Ten would surely love to add them to the mix of the premier wrestling conference in the country."

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
WHY? ND has the best of both worlds they are making a ton of money with their NBC deal, and get to set their own schedule and have parked their other sports into the ACC.
The only way ND moves to a conference is there is a 30 or 40 team super conference formed, otherwise they will stay where they are and see what happens down the road.

ND will remain an independent as long as they have a path to the CFB Playoff. If that access is taken away (or becomes incredibly difficult), they will come running to a league.

I don't think the Irish care that they don't make as much $$$ as schools in the B10 or SEC, they view that as the cost of remaining independent, which they covet for their brand and identity.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
But how is Clemson any different than OU or Texas. Is Clemson going to be satisfied making $40-50M a year, when they could be making $90-100M in the SEC or Big10?

Just like the Big12 with OU and Texas, ESPN's deal with the ACC conference is predicated on having Clemson, FL State and UNC as part of the ACC Network. Wake Forest, Duke, Louisville, Boston College can say they have a GOR through 2036- but my guess is ESPN will say the ACC Network contract has materially changed and will want to re-negotiate downward

The ACC owns the media rights for ND, Clemson, UNC, FSU, et al, through the year 2036. So yes, any of those programs can leave the ACC whenever they want for the SEC or B1G before 2036, but neither of those conferences would get media revenue from those teams' games for 15 years, it would go to the ACC. If OU and UT bolt before 2025, some reports have said they'd owe the Big 12 $70-$80 million each as a buyout. And that's with only 3 years left in the Big 12's GOR. Imagine what it would cost for a GOR buyout with 10-15 years left in the deal.

I get that deals can be struck and renegotiated, but that would get incredibly complicated and I just don't think the ACC is so willingly going to fall on the sword just to make ESPN/FOX and the SEC/B1G happy.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And the other point they will say is, we will have more inventory, instead of Illinois versus Maryland, we will give you ISU versus Wisconsin. More than just staring at one team. Other things like possible more/better bowl games. Get Alamo’s payout versus the pinstripe.

Wouldn't they still have the inventory? That's the thing - it's not like they won't be able to bid on any league ISU ends up in, and probably at a steep discount to whatever they would pay the Big 10 to expand.

We will be in the Big 10 or the Pac 12 if Fox wants us to. If not, we won't.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
While this may not be a popular perspective, ANY league needs a lower performing half to entice CFP invitation. "Parity" more often than not hurts a conference's position on the grand platform.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Nobody the Big10 can add outside of poaching Clemson and ND or Oregon and USC are going to add per team revenue. So the question is not who will add per team revenue, because the answer is probably nobody they can add without busting the massive GoR in the ACC.

So the question is Does Fox implore the Big 10 to expand for inventory? If yes, then Big needs to try to project who will return the best of those they can pick up. That can be a combination of projecting who is most valuable in future media contracts, and who is willing to accept terms more favorable to the rest of the members to join.

Lastly, Big 10 could take KU and ISU for a few years where they give up major dollars to the other members, with the idea that the following contract could be uneven distribution. There's nothing requiring the Big 10 to continue into eternity with even distribution. In fact, I would almost guarantee it's inevitable that if OSU and Michigan stay in something like the Big 10 that uneven distribution starts happening.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron