REPORT: Barta working on final retirement contract for Ferentz

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
My hope is Greg Davis retires after this year and Brian Ferentz is named OC. KF retires 4-5 years after that and Brian is named new head coach.

This is my hope too. Didn't the coach a position group that gave up an absurd number of sacks last year. Yup... sounds like he is ready for a promotion.

Reactions: CyInDFW

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Always a chance of that. It goes back to the post here earlier about how KF's buttoned up style lends itself to close games against good and bad teams alike. When the breaks go Iowa's way (as they did last year) it means ten wins and a high profile bowl game. When the breaks go against Iowa, it's 5-7 wins and the meltdown to end all meltdowns in Hok country.

The bolded part cracks me up. Please name the breaks that went Iowa's way last year.

• Funny
  • Dislike
Reactions: Steubs24 and GTO

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
This is my hope too. Didn't the coach a position group that gave up an absurd number of sacks last year. Yup... sounds like he is ready for a promotion.

You must have been thinking of Iowa State, 4th most in the country. Gave up 12 more sacks than Iowa and played 2 fewer games.

ISU gave up a sack once every 9.78 attempts, Iowa did once every 12.3 attempts.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

• Dislike
Reactions: GTO and hawxrox09

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The bolded part cracks me up. Please name the breaks that went Iowa's way last year.
How about the 57 yard fg to beat Pitt, who was missing their best offensive player? Or the narrow win against Wisconsin when the Badgers couldn't capitalize on multiple short fields? Or Tommie Armstrong going into full meltdown mode and just putting the ball up for grabs? Iowa made plays for sure and give them credit for doing so in tough spots, but you're nuts if you think stuff like that is going to happen every time. That's how the game goes. Sometimes those close plays go your way and sometimes they don't. Your boy KF has even said as much. What's the quote he has out there about a whole season turning on a half dozen plays?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sagarin ranked their schedule as the 52nd toughest in the country, so that puts them in the upper half of the FBS.

Their regular season schedule was one of the weakest in all of P5 football. Iowa State had the 3rd toughest schedule in the country according to Sagarin if you'd liek to compare

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Either one of us can move the goalposts to the benefit of one program.

It's worth a shot. Freezing the kicker sure didn't work

k4ol4knpcxetxrvalesk.GIF

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If they meh their way through the season, the "retirement contract" will bring on some epic hilarity with the loyal fanbase.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Their regular season schedule was one of the weakest in all of P5 football. Iowa State had the 3rd toughest schedule in the country according to Sagarin if you'd liek to compare

You are bound to have a tough schedule when you play a BCS bowl team out of conference and dont have to play the 9th best team in a 10 team conference.

• Dislike
Reactions: GTO

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
How about the 57 yard fg to beat Pitt, who was missing their best offensive player? Or the narrow win against Wisconsin when the Badgers couldn't capitalize on multiple short fields? Or Tommie Armstrong going into full meltdown mode and just putting the ball up for grabs? Iowa made plays for sure and give them credit for doing so in tough spots, but you're nuts if you think stuff like that is going to happen every time. That's how the game goes. Sometimes those close plays go your way and sometimes they don't. Your boy KF has even said as much. What's the quote he has out there about a whole season turning on a half dozen plays?

Drilling a 57 yard FG that would have been good from 65+ is called execution, not luck.

Armstrong threw INT's all year, without looking I would guess he led the B1G in picks.

All your examples involved Iowa making plays.

Iowa had more bad luck than good last year. CJB not being healthy from the Pitt game on. Drew Ott only playing the equivalent of about 3 full games. Injuries along the OL and to our top 2 RB's throughout the year. #1 WR not being 100% for a good chunk of the middle of the year.

• Funny
  • Dislike
Reactions: Steubs24 and GTO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You are bound to have a tough schedule when you play a BCS bowl team out of conference and dont have to play the 9th best team in a 10 team conference.

I think playing 3 of the top 8 teams in the country was the reason Sagarin had our SOS 3rd overall. Look at the bright side you got another pathetic schedule again this year to enjoy

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Smart move by Barta, KF has been here before and historically follows up an over achieving year with a few years of mediocrity. The moment the tail spin begins, Barta will have the contract with appropriate clauses in place to fall back on.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I think playing 3 of the top 8 teams in the country was the reason Sagarin had our SOS 3rd overall. Look at the bright side you got another pathetic schedule again this year to enjoy

Don't underestimate Hoks ability to play down to their schedule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron