REPORT: Barta working on final retirement contract for Ferentz

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Ferentz's teams have been designed to keep them in games against better teams and have overall success. That strategy has also allowed teams worse than Iowa to stay in games with them and from time to time beat them. In the end you get around 8 wins a season with some peaks and valleys. When you aren't Alabama or USC it is a good strategy as long as everybody buys into it and is ok with being boring at times. Which is hard for fans to do in this day and age and sometimes players as well.

Reactions: Hawkmi1987

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A Hawkeye football coach retirement settlement equals:

A case of this
10-24-08_hawkeye_vodka-IMG00048.jpg

And 72 of these:
samantha-goudie-vodka_samm-feature.jpg

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Will hawk fans be able to pronounce his last name correctly before he retires?

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Will hawk fans be able to pronounce his last name before he retires?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So Iowa is 23-9 in the last 32? I will take it.

Or doesnt that "trend" fit your narrative?

How about Iowa is 8-5 since 2003 against ISU? Or 5-3 since 2008?

Either one of us can move the goalposts to the benefit of one program.

What cant be argued is the overall success of the Iowa program when compared to the ISU program in the last 17 years.

I don't see how that is working in your favor. We're one of the worst P5 program's in the nation, remember?

But I guess it kind of sums Iowa and how they've achieved such amazing achievements.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I'm interested to know who Iowa could get to replace Ferentz. Do they promote within like they did with Ferentz?

Why not? This is worth talking about since the guy has been there for 17 years even if the final contract is 5 years.

Ferentz was not promoted from Hayden's staff when Fry retired.

KF was an Iowa assistant from 1981-1987 and replaced Fry after the 1998 season.

My hope is Greg Davis retires after this year and Brian Ferentz is named OC. KF retires 4-5 years after that and Brian is named new head coach.

This all assumes the program doesnt revert to a 2012 type performance during this timeframe.

Reactions: ICHawk24

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't see how that is working in your favor. We're one of the worst P5 program's in the nation, remember?

But I guess it kind of sums Iowa and how they've achieved such amazing achievements.

Sometimes the rivalry just means more to one program.

Hayden emphasized it, KF did not until recently.

Twins would probably agree with me on this.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You should thank whoever does your soft scheduling more than Kirk then. Imagine if Iowa had to play more ISU quality teams vs Big 10 cupcakes.

So the perceived notion that the B1G is down now, right or wrong, means the B1G has been down for his entire 17 year career?

Last edited:

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
KF has always emphasized the rivalry

They didnt play the ISU fight song in the locker room during game week until recently, maybe the 2013 game?

Brian has emphasized the rivalry since he joined the staff. IF BF becomes the Iowa head coach at some point, I would expect Hayden like drubbings of ISU to return.

• Optimistic
  • Dislike
Reactions: Steubs24 and GTO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They didnt play the ISU fight song in the locker room during game week until recently, maybe the 2013 game?

Brian has emphasized the rivalry since he joined the staff. IF BF becomes the Iowa head coach at some point, I would expect Hayden like drubbings of ISU to return.

They always have. KF knows what the rivalry means to Hawkeye fans he's not stupid

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Why would they announce this in advance? I would think it would be hard for him to recruit the last 2-3 years.

Ya they can say to recruits there will be a successor plan, but that is pretty easy for opponents to negatively recruit against.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Ferentz was not promoted from Hayden's staff when Fry retired.

KF was an Iowa assistant from 1981-1987 and replaced Fry after the 1998 season.

My hope is Greg Davis retires after this year and Brian Ferentz is named OC. KF retires 4-5 years after that and Brian is named new head coach.

This all assumes the program doesnt revert to a 2012 type performance during this timeframe.

Always a chance of that. It goes back to the post here earlier about how KF's buttoned up style lends itself to close games against good and bad teams alike. When the breaks go Iowa's way (as they did last year) it means ten wins and a high profile bowl game. When the breaks go against Iowa, it's 5-7 wins and the meltdown to end all meltdowns in Hok country.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron