Replacing the turf at Trice

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Here's the deal the Hillsides are nothing special and dont need to be. An Athletic field is far more complex. I know for a fact nothing special is on the hillsides.
I’m not going to dig through the Jack Trice Improvements thread and pull out all the posts where it was discussed.

• Winner
Reactions: thisISnextyear

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

So the group doing the change over has a new hybrid stitching machine. Wonder if we will go with that. Looks like they just got it. Good timing too, got some practice on muni fields and then do the Jack.

Hybrid stitching would be awesome, because it makes it stronger for sport play. I did see that the budget for this project is $500k, so not sure if that would fit in that budget or not. Most NFL grass fields and all English Premier League fields use the hybrid stitching

Reactions: khardbored

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Hybrid stitching would be awesome, because it makes it stronger for sport play. I did see that the budget for this project is $500k, so not sure if that would fit in that budget or not. Most NFL grass fields and all English Premier League fields use the hybrid stitching
Yeah no clue. But if muni fields can afford it. Seems like ISU can. No clue what stitching costs.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ok I am right. My degree is in Turf. But carry on if you want to.
Amended soil is the term that was used. Apparently it is blended at an ISU farm? It was supposedly used as a base for the sod because most of the hillside fill was clay, as I recall.

I’m not speaking on my own authority, but remembering what was posted at the time that the hillside construction was going on. By someone who used to help make it. As I recall, they used the same base under the sod on the plaza—presumably for the same reason.

If you can’t handle that I have a memory for what someone else said, that’s your problem. Or, if you’re calling that person a liar, that’s fine too.

Also, please feel free to tell me that I misremember because you know for certain the facts, you have seen the actual invoices and that person was incorrect—not just because of what you presume to be true.

Otherwise, get over yourself.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Amended soil is the term that was used. Apparently it is blended at an ISU farm? It was supposedly used as a base for the sod because most of the hillside fill was clay, as I recall.

I’m not speaking on my own authority, but remembering what was posted at the time that the hillside construction was going on. By someone who used to help make it. As I recall, they used the same base under the sod on the plaza—presumably for the same reason.

If you can’t handle that I have a memory for what someone else said, that’s your problem. Or, if you’re calling that person a liar, that’s fine too.

Also, please feel free to tell me that I misremember because you know for certain the facts, you have seen the actual invoices and that person was incorrect—not just because of what you presume to be true.

Otherwise, get over yourself.

You are an idiot. Like I said carry on. And yes I know personally who manages JTS field.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: Aclone and nrg4isu

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
If they hybrid stitch JTS, would they do it before the sod has rooted or after?

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Looking at the videos in that twitter thread, it is after. But No clue if that is normal or not.
seems like both can happen. either run it over the existing grass or throw seed over after it has been installed. since we have a huge field growing the soon to be field. isu would lay the sod and then stitch after.

• Informative
Reactions: motorcy90

Help Support Us

Become a patron