Replacing the turf at Trice

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The practice fields see activity pretty much every day. When the weather is wet it can get torn up pretty bad even if well maintained. I could see the stitched field being a huge benefit in keeping it playable with such heavy use. If you are adding it to the practice fields it seems like a no brainer to add to the stadium turf to help keep it pristine when you have back to back to back home games and the weather is being hard on it. I have been a fan of this and hoping ISu would get it since I saw something similar (Grassmaster) on the Lambeau field a decade or more ago.

One huge benefit of the stitched fields is that it adds stability to the sand substrate. Since these fields are built on pretty much straight sand, 300+ pound bodies pushing on each other can move the sand around under the grass resulting in an uneven playing surface over time. The stitching goes deeper than roots alone and also encourages the roots to go deeper adding stability to that substrate.

This is pretty spot on and I don't know how you would know this. The field isnt pure sand its a mix of peat and sand, but we are splitting hairs on that.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The practice fields see activity pretty much every day. When the weather is wet it can get torn up pretty bad even if well maintained. I could see the stitched field being a huge benefit in keeping it playable with such heavy use. If you are adding it to the practice fields it seems like a no brainer to add to the stadium turf to help keep it pristine when you have back to back to back home games and the weather is being hard on it. I have been a fan of this and hoping ISu would get it since I saw something similar (Grassmaster) on the Lambeau field a decade or more ago.

One huge benefit of the stitched fields is that it adds stability to the sand substrate. Since these fields are built on pretty much straight sand, 300+ pound bodies pushing on each other can move the sand around under the grass resulting in an uneven playing surface over time. The stitching goes deeper than roots alone and also encourages the roots to go deeper adding stability to that substrate.
1665620731363.gif

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
This likely was planned from the get go, especially since the Iowa Cubs turfgrass people (Iowa Sports Turf) has been kind of spotlighting it lately and has been installing it other places as well. Iowa State's turfgrass team has a good relationship with them. Issue with laying it down is that it takes a long time (they said about two weeks). They obviously needed time to let the roots take to the substrate, and by then, they couldn't put it down because the team wanted to get as much stadium practice time in as possible. They're doing it now because it's the first big window between uses.
I think you are probably correct. I also heard these stitching machines move really slow, like 0.5 mph so it takes a long time to do a field.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
This is exactly the same surface that was hyped on our tour of Lambeau Field..

Except for the 12 miles(I don't remember!) of temperature control plumbing. A small difference.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is exactly the same surface that was hyped on our tour of Lambeau Field..

Except for the 12 miles(I don't remember!) of temperature control plumbing. A small difference.
Yes. Technically Lambeau is SISGrass, but same concept. When I was down by the turf (nobody gets on the turf that doesn't belong there) they still had their old system which they replaced with SISGrass in 2018.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
All I was told is the practice field grass did not take as it was supposed to and it impacted the teams ability to use it this year. I believe they are on it now but were kept off longer than the coaches wanted. The stitching on that was meant as a fix.

Reactions: jcisuclones

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The best natural field in all of college football just got better.

No, he is solid, I watched the field being laid down. The jts field will be a mix.of grass.and sythetic grass.sown in next year. The Broncos field is what our field will look like.

313-150 + 184-92 + 129-58 + 38:15-21:45 = 10-7

They've installed this in several Premier League Stadiums and others in Europe like Real Madrid over the past few years. Only a matter of time before it becomes the thing here. Minnesota United FC has it.
Question. How long do the synthetic strands last, I wonder? When they go bad or are past their life expectancy, do they have to be pulled out? Or do they just rip it off, grass and all, and start over with sod, then later with the woven strands again?

Short question. What is the maintenance and how long does it last?

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Question. How long do the syntheic strands last, I wonder? When they go bad or are past their life expectancy, do they have to be pulled out? Or do they just rip it off, grass and all, and start over with sod, then later with the woven strands again?

Short question. What is the maintenance and how long does it last?
It still is a Cyclone State.

Looks like 10 years at least.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It still is a Cyclone State.

Looks like 10 years at least.

The 10 years was probably right in front of me. I'm blind sometimes.

Still sounds like a complete re-sod / re-graft at 10 years, or longer. I guess that's not unusual with regular grass fields even. They have to be re-done periodically? I don't know how often.

Edit: Perhaps the regular grass fields need to be re-done more often than 10 years, thus making the hybrid field a little more on the cost-effective side?

Last edited: