Reflection on our basketball program

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Ummm, yes it is. ISU was picked to finish last or near last in almost every publication. I believe the AP and Coaches put us in the middle of the pack, but other "experts" had us dead in the water.

The AP had ISU 7th, the Coaches 6th.

If you have a link or some source that someone picked ISU last that year, please provide it, because I don't believe someone would be that stupid. Fizer was Preseason 1st team, and we had 3 other returning starters from a 6-10 team. I have a very hard time seeing someone pick ISU 11th or 12th with that preseason resume.

I think the whole "ISU was picked last in the preseason" is one of CF's great myths to go along with "Mike Taylor will be in the dunk contest."

Last edited:

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007

If you have a link or some source that someone picked ISU last that year, please provide it, because I don't believe someone would be that stupid. Fizer was Preseason 1st team, and we had 3 other returning starters from a 6-10 team. I have a very hard time seeing someone pick ISU 11th or 12th with that preseason resume.

I think the whole "ISU was picked last in the preseason" is one of CF's great myths to go along with "Mike Taylor will be in the dunk contest."

Wasn't the ISU team picked to be at the bottom of the conference Floyd's team that won the last Big 8 Tournament rather than the 2000 Championship team? I believe that is a common mistake made here on CF.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

I do specifically remember that we were picked last that season by Athlon's pre-season yearbook. No, I don't have a link for it, but I have an excellent memory for that sort of thing. Regardless of where we picked to finish in the conference by whom, it's obvious that just about everyone severely underrated us.

Cyclonefarmer

Mar 23, 2006
rural se North Carolina
Wasn't the ISU team picked to be at the bottom of the conference Floyd's team that won the last Big 8 Tournament rather than the 2000 Championship team? I believe that is a common mistake made here on CF.
Eustachy's team from the year before was also lightly regarded,even with Fizer,b/c they had gone 12-18 and 15-15 the previous 2 years.

Last edited:

Cyclonefarmer

Mar 23, 2006
rural se North Carolina
Eustachy's team from the year before was also lightly regarded,even with Fizer,b/c they had gone 12-18 and 15-15 the previous 2 years.
Talking about the 2000 team...From the 2003 ISU Men's BB Media Guide p124 .."In Fact,one publication picked the Cyclones to finish dead last in the Big 12 Conference, noting 'They have not won with Fizer in his two years at ISU and no change is predicted for this season.'"

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't know enough to pontificate on specifics about McD. What I do know is I had zero expectation of an ISU squad under his leadership ever being successful on any timeframe. I know I wasn't alone. I don't know what to expect out of Hoiberg either but I like what I see so far.

Nicely stated.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Add kucyclone's ISU fanhood to that list of mythology.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
a difference between this team and that team a few years ago is that the one a few years ago had many unknowns, but most had college experience. While White could tilt the scales a bit if eligible, this team will be VERY young in the paint which doesn't bode well. Having said that, the young starting front line of Hoiberg, Meyer and Michalik didn't have a terrible year with experienced guards.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

Ha, that is funny.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I know they were picked last by on preseason publication in 2000. They were also picked last in 1995 when they ended up finishing second in the league and then won the conference tournament.

Cyclonefarmer

Mar 23, 2006
rural se North Carolina
I know they were picked last by on preseason publication in 2000. They were also picked last in 1995 when they ended up finishing second in the league and then won the conference tournament.
Exactly-in fact page 114 of the 2003 Media Guide documents that season really well also-"Not much was expected of the Cyclones....the prognosticators picked the Cyclones dead last in the preseason Big Eight standings."

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I don't know enough to pontificate on specifics about McD. What I do know is I had zero expectation of an ISU squad under his leadership ever being successful on any timeframe. I know I wasn't alone. I don't know what to expect out of Hoiberg either but I like what I see so far.

But, but, but, but, but Greg is such a great guy...really, he is a GREAT guy. And, and, and ISU is his dream job...dream job I tell you...he would have never...NEVER...left ISU if he had success.

:jimlad:

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I think the real issue here is leadership.

McDermott, while a capable coach, was not a leader. A leader relates to all individuals from disparate backgrounds. The biggest difference at High Div. 1 basketball vs. UNI is the diversity of backgrounds. More national recruiting and less regional recruiting. McDermott has a difficult time relating to, and bonding, with kids outside of the Upper Midwest cultural footprint.

You can only hide that for so long. Hoiberg is more worldly, for lack of a better description. Look at the respect he got from some of the luminaries in the NBA: KG, McHale, Reggie Miller. His comfort level with different cultural situations makes him more able to relate, to recruit, and most importantly, to lead a national program.
This is so true. Nicely put.