Redekers

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
More so talking to the people calling me smug. Also no one that has said not to buy it has responded with experience of dealing with heirloom furniture. I don’t care if your kid destroyed your Walmart crib I’m not buying that.

LOL trust me, those little monsters don't care if they are sinking their teeth into a family heirloom, solid oak, or particle board, they are going to clear their objective.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
More so talking to the people calling me smug. Also no one that has said not to buy it has responded with experience of dealing with heirloom furniture. I don’t care if your kid destroyed your Walmart crib I’m not buying that.

I mean to be fair you did use the word nursery. Most of us common folk here on CF refer to that as the utility room.

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Definitely shows the differences out there. My kids never chewed on the crib, 3 and none touched it. Of course everyone had crib bumpers at the time. Ours was a nicer one, didn't buy a matching dresser because baby clothes don't take much space and we got everything with the first bed. First kid born in 2000 and we spent about 300 dollars on the crib. Built very well.

Buy what you want, I would recommend not buying a nice dresser until later so you can match it to his bed and and not crib.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

So basically what it comes down to is you and your wife want to share with all your friends that you spent $2500 on heirloom furniture for your child? Your child will never give a rip that their heirloom bedroom furniture cost $2500, this is about you and your wife.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
812mWYZhLqL._SY606_.jpg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ok, since the heirloom furniture question came up that I didn't see. I take it you want to pass this down, if not what is the point of buying that high of quality for roughly 10 years of use between 3-4 kids? So I will go that assumption. Our kitchen table is heirloom, only since we plan to have it our whole lives. My folks had a few pieces of that level. Now you know that myself and family have some, that was a requirement you mentioned somewhere.

You want someone to tell you not to buy an heirloom crib, here you go. 1) No matter the quality, sometimes certain era designs get considered unsafe, especially with cribs, and renders the piece unusable. 2). Just because you want to pass it down, good luck on your daughter or DIL (men don't make the baby furniture final decisions) deeming that to be exactly what they want or a match To what they have in their house. 3) If you want to pass it down, then the second sentence in my first paragraph is rendered useless because you better have one kid or be ready to pony up equivalent quality for the other kids, probably 5 grand by then. 4) Oops, your son married a women who has parents who want to pass their heirloom down, guess who wins that?

So basically, I would say the last heirloom furniture I would ever buy is a crib. A bassinet, sure, not a crib though.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
So basically what it comes down to is you and your wife want to share with all your friends that you spent $2500 on heirloom furniture for your child? Your child will never give a rip that their heirloom bedroom furniture cost $2500, this is about you and your wife.

Yep it absolutely is about me and my wife. Don’t give a rip what the kid thinks of it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We thought we could at least use our crib for the grandkids, but now you aren’t supposed to have a drop side crib.

The shifting on how you are supposed to have your baby sleep shifts so often, I wouldn’t bet on an heirloom being considered safe in 20 years. In my child bearing years, it shifted from lay them on their stomachs, lay them on their sides, lay them on their backs, like you can even keep them in one position. I don’t even know what it is now, was backs last time I babysat for neighbors.

When it was sides, they had devices to try and keep them on sides. Now you aren’t supposed to have anything in the crib. Someday they may decide they’ll bang their heads on oak and you need an all rubber crib or some such shifting theory.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Ok, since the heirloom furniture question came up that I didn't see. I take it you want to pass this down, if not what is the point of buying that high of quality for roughly 10 years of use between 3-4 kids? So I will go that assumption. Our kitchen table is heirloom, only since we plan to have it our whole lives. My folks had a few pieces of that level. Now you know that myself and family have some, that was a requirement you mentioned somewhere.

You want someone to tell you not to buy an heirloom crib, here you go. 1) No matter the quality, sometimes certain era designs get considered unsafe, especially with cribs, and renders the piece unusable. 2). Just because you want to pass it down, good luck on your daughter or DIL (men don't make the baby furniture final decisions) deeming that to be exactly what they want or a match To what they have in their house. 3) If you want to pass it down, then the second sentence in my first paragraph is rendered useless because you better have one kid or be ready to pony up equivalent quality for the other kids, probably 5 grand by then. 4) Oops, your son married a women who has parents who want to pass their heirloom down, guess who wins that?

So basically, I would say the last heirloom furniture I would ever buy is a crib. A bassinet, sure, not a crib though.

Those are good points and I have thought about that. Worst case we will just use the wood to make something else if the kids end up not needing it or it doesn’t meet safety standards.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Those are good points and I have thought about that. Worst case we will just use the wood to make something else if the kids end up not needing it.
If everyone else in this thread is correct the kid should have it torn apart into scrap in no time so it'll be easier to repurpose it.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er and g4ce

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I mean to be fair you did use the word nursery. Most of us common folk here on CF refer to that as the utility room.

Last I knew they are supposed to spend a whole year in parents’ bedroom to prevent SIDS, so most use of a nursery would be maybe a year. Sounds like a good utility room to me.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Do you really think your child cares about what their furniture looks like, how much it costs, or that it is heirloom?

No? Lol I just said its about me and my wife.. I’ll probably be driving in todays dollar a 5k-10k car the rest of my life. Not because we can’t afford something nicer but because I don’t see any value in buying 15k-30k car just to drive from home to work and back. We don’t put a lot of value into cars but we do in furniture. Probably isn’t that common but that’s how we operate.

• Useful
Reactions: cyputz

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

So you think you’re better than us with your fancy kitchen table?

Reactions: Tailg8er

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I haven't really commented directly on your posts, but you're pretty much assuming no one else has bought quality furniture.

Pardon me if I'm less than impressed that you are spending a lot of money on something that may or may not get a lot of use. If you were talking about a dining room table & chairs, or living room furniture, I might even agree with you. Food for thought, though - the couch and chair that my boys eventually turned into kindling were solid oak.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
I haven't really commented directly on your posts, but you're pretty much assuming no one else has bought quality furniture.

Pardon me if I'm less than impressed that you are spending a lot of money on something that may or may not get a lot of use. If you were talking about a dining room table & chairs, or living room furniture, I might even agree with you. Food for thought, though - the couch and chair that my boys eventually turned into kindling were solid oak.

That’s good I wasn’t trying to. Also already said in a previous post that I don’t think they will ruin it but if they do we won’t lose sleep over it.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Built a new house and decided it was time to upgrade furniture

Bought the rug mentioned in earlier post, couch, bed, end tables, dresser and armoire at Redekers. No discounts. Keep wanting me to open an account and offered discounts if did

Didn’t take long before seams showing on rug and feathers coming out of upholstery

Still happy with bedroom furniture

In future will go for manufacturer name not store name

Help Support Us

Become a patron