Redekers

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Wife and I are looking at buying a crib and dresser from Redekers for our nursery room. We were quoted around $2,500 for both and was curious if anyone here has had any experience negotiating on their furniture. Is it unreasable to try an get 10% knocked off the price?

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Not unreasonable. Everything is negotiable. We've enjoyed our experiences with them.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Wife and I are looking at buying a crib and dresser from Redekers for our nursery room. We were quoted around $2,500 for both and was curious if anyone here has had any experience negotiating on their furniture. Is it unreasable to try an get 10% knocked off the price?

Good lord man. Why? Give your wallet a break and get something for 10% the cost at Target that works just as well.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

tenor.gif

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If you only get 10% off, you will be overpaying. Ask them for their best price and tell them you will be back after your other quotes come in (if they are low bidder). Furniture markups are very high.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Good lord man. Why? Give your wallet a break and get something for 10% the cost at Target that works just as well.

Yeah, this. The kid is going to beat on it for a few years then outgrow it. Save the cash now and buy something nice when the kid is a little older and will treat it better and use it longer.

... unless you are planning on using it for like 10 kids, then fire away.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

This, The wife got ours for 50 bucks off a swap site and it made it through both kids. F spending 2500 on that stuff.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
My daughter says try Suite Dreams in Windsor Heights. They run specials over major holidays. She is almost as tight as her old man.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Kids will ruin everything you own. Seriously. Don't spend that much cash on something that will get destroyed. As a side, we bought our crib from Babies Are Us for ~$125 and our 3rd child is about to start using it. This thing has been beat up, disassembled/reassembled more times than I care to count, jump on and generally beat up for 4 years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’d also caution against getting something that you plan on converting to a toddler bed, head board, etc. babies chew on stuff. They’ll chew the finish right off it.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

Did you add an extra 0 by mistake? $250 for both seems more reasonable for both. Like others have said, kids will beat up the crib and you will probably have some teeth marks on it once they start teething. Just my opinion but no reason to spend that much on nursery furniture.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparkplug

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Kids will ruin everything you own. Seriously. Don't spend that much cash on something that will get destroyed. As a side, we bought our crib from Babies Are Us for ~$125 and our 3rd child is about to start using it. This thing has been beat up, disassembled/reassembled more times than I care to count, jump on and generally beat up for 4 years.

I have four kids and truer words have never been spoken. There is absolutely no sense in buying anything nice when you have kids. Some day I will own a pristine home with nice furniture, furnishings, etc. For the time being, however, I treat everything as being disposable.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
You have to be willing to walk out the door. I was dealing with them and Homemakers and someone else.
I told them I was going to the Homemakers and see what they had & might be back. Started walking out the door and my wife said they don't have our name or number. I told her we can always come back. Just before we walked out, the salesman asked me for my name and number and said he would see if he could do any better. Got 5 miles down the road and got a call and they knocked off 10-15%.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Also be careful of the crib that turns into a toddler bed. That is all fine and good if you plan to only have one child or are careful to space them out so that one kid is entirely finished with it before you have another.

I don't know your financial situation, but if this is your first, you probably don't know how your financial situation will change in the coming years. I have a feeling you will wish you had spent about $1,800 less in the coming years if you make this purchase. Kids are expensive.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You have to be willing to walk out the door. I was dealing with them and Homemakers and someone else.
I told them I was going to the Homemakers and see what they had & might be back. Started walking out the door and my wife said they don't have our name or number. I told her we can always come back. Just before we walked out, the salesman asked me for my name and number and said he would see if he could do any better. Got 5 miles down the road and got a call and they knocked off 10-15%.
It is also dependent on how you behaved when you initially looked at it. When I look at things with my wife I always appear unsold on it because my wife has no poker face. If you both look all in from the start they know they have you and the chances of you actually walking are slim.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DreamyCy and buf87

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I’d also caution against getting something that you plan on converting to a toddler bed, head board, etc. babies chew on stuff. They’ll chew the finish right off it.

Lol, my first daughter did exactly that, the second one had no interest in that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron