RECRUITING: Some late Friday night notes...

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I was able to confirm the report of Iowa State doing an in-home visit with Utah State transfer Koby McEwen on Sunday. Neil Berry was also in to see South Dakota graduate transfer Matt Mooney on Friday.

The thing people need to remember about the process for the staff this spring is they have some room to be selective considering they have only one scholarship. They are being very thorough with this as they find the player who will be the absolute best fit for them.

I also know Ames native and sit one, play two transfer Javan White is in that conversation as Daniyal Robinson was in to see him today.

The process for the staff this spring is going to be much different than last year when they had quite a few spots to fill. Stay tuned through the weekend as things are pretty fluid right now.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I read somehere White was graduating and would be immediately eligible. He’s already redshirted at Oral Roberts.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd love to get either of the guards, preferably McEwen as he'll be a nice piece to have in the wake of losing NWB, shayok, and wigginton (probably) next year. Although it would be fun having a shooter like Mooney for this year's team, and could be the difference between a good season or a great one.

Don't know much about white, but him being a local talent would be a good story.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
I'd love to get either of the guards, preferably McEwen as he'll be a nice piece to have in the wake of losing NWB, shayok, and wigginton (probably) next year. Although it would be fun having a shooter like Mooney for this year's team, and could be the difference between a good season or a great one.

Don't know much about white, but him being a local talent would be a good story.
I don’t know if Mooney would add that much but yes McEwen is clearly their top choice and a pretty perfect fit.

• Informative
Reactions: isu81

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Don't know much about White, but him being a local talent would be a good story.
Don't you think Fran is looking at Javan as a possible PG? 6' 8" skinny, Iowa kid....

Sorry, forgot about Patrick coming on board for the Hoks. No PG playing time available.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Don't you think Fran is looking at Javan as a possible PG? 6' 8" skinny, Iowa kid....

Sorry, forgot about Patrick coming on board for the Hoks. No PG playing time available.

"Yeah, my progeny will lead us to the promised land!!" says a fired up Fran. What at tool!!

upload_2018-4-7_8-15-46.png

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Give me Mooney. Next year is the year to make a deep run. We're talking about two potential post-season games at Wells Fargo, followed by Sprint Center in KC and Final 4 in Minneapolis. If we're ever going All-In on one season, next year is it, and in my mind, a great outside shooter like him is a big missing piece.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I guess I'm fine either way, between a grad transfer or sit-out transfer. I don't have a problem if they decide to go all-in on next season. Sure, it hurts you a little bit the following season, but if you have more success next season, it should help recruiting. Probably a wash in the end, assuming similar talent between the options. I'd say go with whoever they evaluate as the most talented player.

• Agree
Reactions: baagoe

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Minor note that the staff hasn't offered any of the 3 current targets... ISU being diligent with how to use the last scholarship and making sure it is the right fit. Major benefit of not having to fill multiple spots like the past couple of years.
I suspect Prohm may extend an offer Sunday when they meet with McEwen assuming it goes well.

@MatthewBain_ ICYMI on @DMRCyclones: Source tells me Iowa State visited transfers Javan White and Matt Mooney yesterday, will visit Koby McEwen tomorrow. No offers as of last night — just getting a sense of mutual interest and fit.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...hite-matt-mooney-visit-koby-mcewen/495485002/

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minor note that the staff hasn't offered any of the 3 current targets... ISU being diligent with how to use the last scholarship and making sure it is the right fit. Major benefit of not having to fill multiple spots like the past couple of years.
I suspect Prohm may extend an offer Sunday when they meet with McEwen assuming it goes well.

@MatthewBain_ ICYMI on @DMRCyclones: Source tells me Iowa State visited transfers Javan White and Matt Mooney yesterday, will visit Koby McEwen tomorrow. No offers as of last night — just getting a sense of mutual interest and fit.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...hite-matt-mooney-visit-koby-mcewen/495485002/

I agree re: McEwen getting an offer, he's clearly the first choice since he's getting the head coach's visit.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don’t know if Mooney would add that much but yes McEwen is clearly their top choice and a pretty perfect fit.

Mooney is a proven scorer/competitor/experienced player. Don't see how you could say he wouldn't add much. Not saying a sit-out wouldn't make a lot of sense, but nobody thought we'd be stuck in the situation we were in this past season, either.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
In short yes, Matt Mooney can play with next years team. He has the ability to create his own shot. Although I think he could be concerned about number of minutes with next years squad.

He would be awesome for our team! All we heard when Georges, McKay, and Nader were seniors was that a transfer saw no playing time and we were loaded. Well, pretty sure we ended up that year playing with a limited bench during foul trouble or our starters lacked intensity at times on defense because they couldn't afford to foul out. Since when is Kansas the only team that gets to have a loaded roster. I say go get Mooney!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Mooney is a proven scorer/competitor/experienced player. Don't see how you could say he wouldn't add much. Not saying a sit-out wouldn't make a lot of sense, but nobody thought we'd be stuck in the situation we were in this past season, either.

you do realize that the coaches can't snap their fingers and demand Mooney comes here, right? He has to be interested and he may look at the roster and not feel that it has a place for him for next year.

It's pretty obvious that the coach's first choice is a sit out transfer, but they are obviously interested enough in Mooney to go visit. But it seems reasonable that he might not be super interested.

Next season is nothing like last season. We only had 10 players that dressed. 2 sat out and I believe we had 1 open scholarship. Next year, so far, we have 12 players that will dress and 1 open scholarship.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
you do realize that the coaches can't snap their fingers and demand Mooney comes here, right? He has to be interested and he may look at the roster and not feel that it has a place for him for next year.

It's pretty obvious that the coach's first choice is a sit out transfer, but they are obviously interested enough in Mooney to go visit. But it seems reasonable that he might not be super interested.

Next season is nothing like last season. We only had 10 players that dressed. 2 sat out and I believe we had 1 open scholarship. Next year, so far, we have 12 players that will dress and 1 open scholarship.

Of course I realize the coaches can't just snap their fingers. Impressed that they are still making contact with him even tho they know we have a lot of returning players. But if we learned anything last summer and/or during this past season, things happen. Kudos to the staff.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
In short yes, Matt Mooney can play with next years team. He has the ability to create his own shot. Although I think he could be concerned about number of minutes with next years squad.

Plays with a lot of swagger. Love that.