RECRUITING: Rodgerick Brown to Wichita?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The Wiggington argument is a non starter. If someone at your job lands a big account does that mean everyone's job is safe for the time being? This is big time college basketball. Let's act like it.
Recruiting misses override actual wins and losses? This staff has been pretty good when it counts. You do realize coaches do more than recruit, right?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I agree. It was a huge class to fill, so it doesn't look great, but the fact is you're not going to land 5+ high level HS kids ever at ISU.

What Prohm has to do is get consistently good/solid classes, and have a good eye for finding guys in the 100-150 range that are better than they're ranking.

After next years recruiting class our scholarships should be much more balanced moving forward. I wish more people could understand this!

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Getting the tranfers was bigger than landing a couple late addition freshman. Brown wouldn't have seen the floor much with Babb, Lewis, Brase, Beverly, Long,Young, and Lard. All playing positions he could get some playing time at. Next year wouldn't be any better.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyistopdog

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Getting the tranfers was bigger than landing a couple late addition freshman. Brown wouldn't have seen the floor much with Babb, Lewis, Brase, Beverly, Long,Young, and Lard. All playing positions he could get some playing time at. Next year wouldn't be any better.

No doubt WSU pointed this out to Brown.

• Useful

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Look, I get all that. Sometimes only 6 or 7 play meaningful minutes. But.....that doesn't mean you won't have injuries, suspensions, etc. and this leaves absolutely no margin for error. Reminds me of the year when we basically had to count on Ashton to be our 6th guy or Cooke. It was a grind of a season and often a lot of pressure on the starters to stay out of foul trouble. Defense suffered. While I don't want the staff to fill a spot with a noncontributing player just to fill it, I still think we need to add a minimum of 1 more perimeter player, but that window might be closing.

Having six Big 12 players (and down to five when Naz had to shut it down for the season) is not the same as having seven or eight. If that same season was...

Morris
Mitrou-Long
Nader
Niang
McKay
---
Thomas
Burton
Bielfeldt

...with a healthy Naz, then it probably ends up a little different at points. Probably was not making it past UVA, but maybe we would have had the seed to avoid them.

I agree with you -- depth gives you a margin for error. But having a good #8 is not that relevant, and nobody was coming back from losing a Georges Niang in the tournament.

You can get away with 6-7 if all goes well, but 7-8 is ideal.

Our top five that year were as good as anybody, you are right we suffered for a lack of really viable and flexible options behind them, and the minutes wore that team down.

• Funny

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Look, I get all that. Sometimes only 6 or 7 play meaningful minutes. But.....that doesn't mean you won't have injuries, suspensions, etc. and this leaves absolutely no margin for error. Reminds me of the year when we basically had to count on Ashton to be our 6th guy or Cooke. It was a grind of a season and often a lot of pressure on the starters to stay out of foul trouble. Defense suffered. While I don't want the staff to fill a spot with a noncontributing player just to fill it, I still think we need to add a minimum of 1 more perimeter player, but that window might be closing.

Yeah, I agree with you here. Another perimeter contributor with decent size would have me totally comfortable going into the season.

• Funny

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Recruiting would be easier if we went after the Scott Christofferson and Sean Haluska's of the world.

Scotty C would be one of Prohms better recruits thus far.

Haluska was a walk on.

I'm not seeing your point.

• Informative

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Wigginton
Lewis
Shayok
Jacobson
Beverly
Brase

I'm not worried about the staff bringing in elite - by ISU standards - talent when they don't have 8 scholarships to fill.
Agree completely. If they can sustain the level of the first 4 on your list year after year (nothing against the grad transfers), we'll consistently be at the top of the league and making runs in the NCAAs. 4 per year like Wigginton, Lewis, Shayok and Jacobson is more than sufficient to keep us at the level we're accustomed IMO.

• Disagree

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think some one this board just want to add players. Even if they are just decent. This guy was wanted by a few teams because teams has ships to fill. Not because he was great. Let's be honest. Us and WSU were his only two good offers. If we got this kid in 2018. Everyone would be disappointed we could not get better than beating out some low mid majors and a high mid major.

isu83

May 5, 2010
One thing about this staff is they'll go after any recruit. Evidently not afraid of rejection. Give them time. Last year maybe could have been a rebuilding year. It almost was. Wigg, Young, Lewis and Lard are going to be good. I don't care why they are here. The glass is half full. Lol.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron