RECRUITING: Rodgerick Brown to Wichita?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Dont think i need to elaborate on how successful this program has been past 5-6 years..wts..its inexcusable to not land a high level transfer or another good HS prospect the last 4-5 months given what's available playing time wise. Time for a staff shake up IMO..not Prohm obviously. He's our only recruiter it seems.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I think the staff needs to land two of Green, Harris and Lathon. Which looks possible right now. It is tough to say who else are their top targets for 208 except for those 3 and Thompson. I think we will know more in July.
I think with Brown going to Wichita State, our chances with Harris go down dramatically. I'm guessing he goes and plays with Brown.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Dont think i need to elaborate on how successful this program has been past 5-6 years..wts..its inexcusable to not land a high level transfer or another good HS prospect the last 4-5 months given what's available playing time wise. Time for a staff shake up IMO..not Prohm obviously. He's our only recruiter it seems.

You don't think Shayok is a high level transfer? The dude is going to be a stud next year for us

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
The only reason this recruiting cycle has the perception of looking bad is because of the high density of turnover(Hoiberg transition catching up to them) and the amount of players we've been in on. The latter of which I would consider a good thing since those player are looking to move up and that includes ISU. The class as it stands if pretty darn good. The only real blemish is losing McNeill who made this class great "overall" imo. It might be great anyway since it includes Wigginton and when considering how much impact one really good player can have in basketball.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I always thought next year was a rebuilding year. I think Throwing these kids to the fire the first year is a good thing. Lewis, Wigs, Lard and them are going to get a ton of valuable playing time. Adding Brown would have done nothing for next year. Guy is not even rated in the top 150 of his class. Had he been 2017 he would have not been in the top 200. I think we can get a better guy for next year and get the freshman and Lard up to speed. Not saying I did not want Brown but this is not a OMG loss. This is a kid that is a project. Everyone needs to relax. Brown is not the difference for us next year. We will have a decent season. Possibly no tourney. However, we are loading up for the year after with Shayok and a new 2018 recruiting class that looks promising.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The only reason this recruiting cycle has the perception of looking bad is because of the high density of turnover(Hoiberg transition catching up to them) and the amount of players we've been in on. The latter of which I would consider a good thing since those player are looking to move up and that includes ISU. The class as it stands if pretty darn good. The only real blemish is losing McNeill who made this class great "overall" imo. It might be great anyway since it includes Wigginton and when considering how much impact one really good player can have in basketball.

I agree. It was a huge class to fill, so it doesn't look great, but the fact is you're not going to land 5+ high level HS kids ever at ISU.

What Prohm has to do is get consistently good/solid classes, and have a good eye for finding guys in the 100-150 range that are better than they're ranking.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Berry helped land Wigginton.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyistopdog

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I think with Brown going to Wichita State, our chances with Harris go down dramatically. I'm guessing he goes and plays with Brown.

Don't think that's the case...this is from an article on the two of them--

"Harris and Brown are savoring what could be their last go-around as teammates. Though each earned offers from Wichita State on Monday, Harris predicted the two would likely go their separate ways in college."

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Our best two teams of all-time...

View attachment 48454

Leaned heavily on the starters, one true sixth man, and two fringe rotation guys

View attachment 48455

Leaned heavily on five starters with two bench players around 20 per night

All you need is a good 6-7... #9 and #10 are kind of meaningless...

Look, I get all that. Sometimes only 6 or 7 play meaningful minutes. But.....that doesn't mean you won't have injuries, suspensions, etc. and this leaves absolutely no margin for error. Reminds me of the year when we basically had to count on Ashton to be our 6th guy or Cooke. It was a grind of a season and often a lot of pressure on the starters to stay out of foul trouble. Defense suffered. While I don't want the staff to fill a spot with a noncontributing player just to fill it, I still think we need to add a minimum of 1 more perimeter player, but that window might be closing.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The Wiggington argument is a non starter. If someone at your job lands a big account does that mean everyone's job is safe for the time being? This is big time college basketball. Let's act like it.

And let's also act like fans know next to nothing about all of this. I'm sure that prohm is really interested in your uneducated opinions.

• Informative
Reactions: cyistopdog