RECRUITING: Joseph Scates commits

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It just opens up. Hey, we must have some level of confidence to have taken him. But he called Alabama his dream school and didn’t go there. He hasn’t taken one official visit. Guys this talented don’t just get turned away for no reason.
He is so talented we can afford to offer him and hope he makes grades. You can do this for one kid or so a year. My memory says we got Troy Davis when most people thought he would not qualify. I have not heard any informed speculation on what the odds of him qualifying are, but it’s reported that he said he needed a good three months of academic work.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
He is so talented we can afford to offer him and hope he makes grades. You can do this for one kid or so a year. My memory says we got Troy Davis when most people thought he would not qualify. I have not heard any informed speculation on what the odds of him qualifying are, but it’s reported that he said he needed a good three months of academic work.
Speaking of Troy Davis, does anyone know if or where his son is playing college ball at?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Dude looks fast and elusive. His QB looked pretty good too. Sidenote -- Where the heck are all the fans?? Those bleachers were empty.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
As tolfbfan pointed out, it is quite the interesting road over probably 2 and 1/2 years at least of Campbell and staff reaching out to Scates, building that trust and friendship. Finally with this relationship coming to the point where offers from LSU, Alabama, Michigan State, West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, MInnesota and Toledo were all shunned in favor of coming to Iowa State.

Many of us older fans have always wondered if there was a way to get better recruits and players to come to Ames, and it always seemed no one had a positive answer to that question. But now it is seeming as if there in fact is a path to winning consistently in football at Iowa State. The path is challenging and requires great persistence, belief and dedication. But just knowing now that it is real and the groundwork is being laid brings me such incredible relief and joy, a feeling I presume is shared by most if not all who frequent these forums as well as countless others who follow and cheer for the Cyclones. Dare we dream of a time when an 8-5 record is considered a "down" year?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Can we trade in Punter U for Wide Receiver U yet? Because that sounds a heck of a lot better.
giphy.gif

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I believe that's how CMC was able to get Kamilio Tongamoa, Johnnie Lang, Tarique Milton, and Eyioma Uwazurike to come to Ames as well.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Dude looks fast and elusive. His QB looked pretty good too. Sidenote -- Where the heck are all the fans?? Those bleachers were empty.

I see where CW wrote in his Monday musings that Scates was 6-2". The first twitter info I saw listed him at 6-4", and a website had him at 6'3". Wonder which one he really is. ( not that it matters if he's fast/elusive )

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
Speaking of Troy Davis, does anyone know if or where his son is playing college ball at?
That dude has plummeted. After his freshman year they had him ranked as a 5-star - sitting as the #9 player in the country on one service. That's a huge drop over the course of a high school career.