RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly commits

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think he's a big body with a natural feel for the game and a decent jumper. I don't expect much from him, but I think he's a fine use of a scholarship.

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
tommyboy-tommy-likey-tommy-want-wingy.jpg

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Hilton Magic does get recruits once in awhile.

For those saying he isn't athletic, Halsted and Montz interviewed him on their podcast and he said the things he is working most on are his diet and speed/agility. I expect him to make a little improvement at least, sounds like a guy dedicated to hard work and the team mentality to do what is asked of him.

Great Plan B guy. I'd say Plan A was Juiston, Brown, Shayok and Morrow. When you have 4 scholarships, there are 4 Plan A guys and 4 Plan B guys. Math is hard for some of you, but the next guy we have visit doesn't become Plan C or D.

Get Brase and we have a good stopgap for the frontcourt until '18. Then Young and Lard will have been in the program 2(1.5) years and it sounds like we're leading for Race Thompson.

Two years from now and we'll have a much more balanced roster and not need to fill 7 scholarships in one class. That is a crazy number to fill.

Not sure where you heard that we are leading on Race Thompson. Are we in the Top 5? Yes. But we are most definitely not leading.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Not sure where you heard that we are leading on Race Thompson. Are we in the Top 5? Yes. But we are most definitely not leading.
Hmm, thought I'd read somewhere we were leading or towards the top. I'll see if I can find it. If we most definitely are not leading, who is?

• Optimistic
Reactions: ISUCY23

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Here is what a UTSa fan on reddit had to say.

He had a very efficient season for us, he was our leading scorer if I'm not mistaken, forgive me if I'm wrong. Current UTSA student so I attended a number of games. He has a great aggressive style of play and plays bigger than he is. Very strong game in paint and can contest for boards. Was actually upset he decided to transfer, I hope you all treat him well.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I'd like to read that link.

All I can find is 247 warm to MN, Marquette and ISU with 2 CB's to MN (MN & UK guys) and 1 to ISU (WI guy).

I def do not have a link. I have an in-law that is somewhat connected with Minny (Big donor's friend, basically). We aren't out but they get the feeling he's gonna go there. Take it for what it's worth.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I def do not have a link. I have an in-law that is somewhat connected with Minny (Big donor's friend, basically). We aren't out but they get the feeling he's gonna go there. Take it for what it's worth.
Well no duh a school is going to think he is going to end up there. If they didn't think that they could get Race they wouldn't be recruiting him.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Well no duh a school is going to think he is going to end up there. If they didn't think that they could get Race they wouldn't be recruiting him.

I think you have to give Minnesota the nod at this point. He's an in-state kid, dad was a football star for the Gopher.

If we land him it will be an upset IMO.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Something tells me this kid is going to add a lot for us and the Juiston kid won't do much at UNLV. Seems like that happens when I get mad we lost a recruit. Like the Williams kid that went to St Johns. I hated it. Thought that kid was going to be an NBA guy. Then he basically just sucked and nobody even wants him on the transfer market. Yet we got a kid like Jake Anderson and I was like Whatever, and he did a great job for us.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think you have to give Minnesota the nod at this point. He's an in-state kid, dad was a football star for the Gopher.

If we land him it will be an upset IMO.
Any recruit of his level would be an upset to beat out the field. I know it seems like it worked for Wigginton, but I'm hoping we don't go all-in.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, I think it was the right move to sign Beverly at this point. I'll be looking to see how he does in the paint against Big12 size and athleticism and how quick he looks at this level. Hogue had a junkyard dog mentality but he was also a quick and strong athlete and hit some big 3's.

Let's hope that we signed a solid contributor. I certainly like his intangibles, too - seems like he's a hard worker and really wants to be a Cyclone. Looking for some "Beverly Thrills."

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Decent scoring, decent free throw %, decent rebounding ability for size. His only knock is an outside game. He will be baited a lot to shoot from outside, but overall, a decent piece for next years team. I wish we got a high caliber scoring guard with an outside shot but if this guy can drive the lane and free up Jackson or maybe Wiggington for open looks, I'm cool with that. Just thinking about who we have as outside shooters next year, much more limited than any year since before Fred.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
That's a great find, but they thought he had a very efficient season?
To be fair, check their team stats. They were a very inefficient team as a whole. Maybe it was more the team and scheme than it was Beverly's talents.

Reactions: Dandy