RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly commits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
My one lingering doubt with Prohm has been his (thus far) inability to come up with a really solid plan for the front court. Solomon Young has been a godsend (for a true fresh) and we will see if Cameron Lard ends up being a steal, but consider that...

-- Bowie was alright, but Holden busted in the Big 12
-- Kasongo is an unknown... no high expectations here
-- Feazell flipped on us, Stokes went to Florida
-- Juiston took the money and ran to UNLV
-- no other long-term solutions seem out there for next year

...it just leaves me a little worried. He has proven he can recruit guards and wings, and you need a ton of those for our style and system and in the modern NCAA game, and he has proven he can pull talent from multiple sources (Shayok from UVA, Jackson from IWCC, a ton of young high school and prep school talent), but I just wish he would land a big fish post to go with and eventually supplant Solomon down on the block.

Thompson could be that guy to shut me up on this worry.
It is tough to watch, but if you think about it, we haven't had a dominant big man in a while. McKay was the closest to that and even he disappeared from time to time. It isn't fun missing on guys, but at least we're in on them.

I think, with Prohm being heavily reliant on getting great guards, his recruitment style is to pitch the players who the bigs will be playing with. That was tough to do when Monte wasn't a forsure to come back last year, and you can't give any guarantee's with Lindell this year. If Lindell has a solid freshman year, I think that leads to Prohm landing a solid big out of HS or transferring next year. That may be my optimism shining through, though.

Last edited:

cbclone16

Dec 9, 2016
My one lingering doubt with Prohm has been his (thus far) inability to come up with a really solid plan for the front court. Solomon Young has been a godsend (for a true fresh) and we will see if Cameron Lard ends up being a steal, but consider that...

...it just leaves me a little worried. He has proven he can recruit guards and wings, and you need a ton of those for our style and system and in the modern NCAA game, and he has proven he can pull talent from multiple sources (Shayok from UVA, Jackson from IWCC, a ton of young high school and prep school talent), but I just wish he would land a big fish post to go with and eventually supplant Solomon down on the block.

not sure this is true. in your post you say that young has a been a godsend, we will see about lard, and we will see about kasongo. bowie and holden were exceptions, not the rule. these other guys may prove to be the real deal. we are always looking for the next best thing.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I tend to think that the depth problems in the front court of the last two years has people overly sensitive to that. My guess is that the Solomon Young/Cameron Lard front court will have you forgetting that we had a problem there within the span of a season.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I tend to think that the depth problems in the front court of the last two years has people overly sensitive to that. My guess is that the Solomon Young/Cameron Lard front court will have you forgetting that we had a problem there within the span of a season.

Perhaps. I would love for you to be right.

The combination of...

-- watching us struggle to fill that post slot last season... when the other guys were so good, and when we played Burton and NWB at the 5 for extended periods

-- we got slaughtered on the boards and around the rim for the first 2/3rds the season until Solomon emerged, and we were a much more dangerous team thereafter

-- watching Feazell flip, Stokes go elsewhere, and Juiston go elsewhere... when if only one of them turned out differently, I would not feel this way... still stings a little

-- watching McKay go from an a**-kicker above-the-rim his first year to soft his second year

-- not having a big recruit on the roster right now with the pedigree of Wigginton and Lewis, even if know that is much to ask, but a program like ours should have that

...does make me worry a little bit.

Like you said, I hope Young and Lard prove a very competent young tandem to build for the future after next season and we ink Thompson to go with them.

I will completely shut up if that was Prohm's plan and it all comes together. :D

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is a lot of talk about Prohm failing to have a plan. It is tough for anyone to see a plan from the outside if the recruiting plan all hinges on the decisions of multiple 16-24 year olds. Just because you don't land recruits you appeared to have a good shot at just weeks before does nothing to suggest that you didn't have a plan.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

The combination of...

-- watching us struggle to fill that post slot last season... when the other guys were so good, and when we played Burton and NWB at the 5 for extended periods

-- we got slaughtered on the boards and around the rim for the first 2/3rds the season until Solomon emerged, and we were a much more dangerous team thereafter

-- watching Feazell flip, Stokes go elsewhere, and Juiston go elsewhere... when if only one of them turned out differently, I would not feel this way... still stings a little

-- watching McKay go from an a**-kicker above-the-rim his first year to soft his second year

-- not having a big recruit on the roster right now with the pedigree of Wigginton and Lewis, even if know that is much to ask, but a program like ours should have that

Like you said, I hope Young and Lard prove a very competent young tandem to build for the future after next season and we ink Thompson to go with them.

I will completely shut up if that was Prohm's plan and it all comes together. :D

Don't get me wrong- I'd love to have added more to that group. I just think we typically need 1 1/2 big men for our style of play, and I consider Solomon Young to be established as a good high major player (with a lot of upside) and see Lard as a pretty highly regarded recruit that we may not have had the chance to land without the eligibility issues, so I feel better about our front court and its future than I have for quite some time.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Yeah, that was me. And to my knowledge nothing has changed. My co-worker told me he would keep my updated if he heard any other rumblings from his son about Race. But who knows how in-the-loop he truly is. But as of 3 weeks ago, and a week before we went and visited him, Race was leaning towards Iowa State. But, as we have learned with recruiting, things change.

I am still very confident in our chances with Race, all things considered.

Just an FYI that Archie Miller and Indiana are also now involved, and that is a very recent development. It may ultimately change nothing, but a pretty big name to add to the list.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Just an FYI that Archie Miller and Indiana are also now involved, and that is a very recent development. It may ultimately change nothing, but a pretty big name to add to the list.
Yep, I saw that yesterday. I am just saying what I know. Someone on here said yesterday that we are no longer in the lead, I have heard nothing from reports or "my source"(lol) that indicates that, but if that assumption is based solely off of Archie coming into the mix, idk how much weight that holds.

Archie at Indiana is a huge player, but to think Indiana is all the sudden at the top of the list because Archie Miller is now the coach, I don't buy it. Archie hadn't been in contact with him while at Dayton, from what I can tell, and for all we know Tom Crean could've been the reason he was even interested in Indiana.

I have a feeling we are going to be competing with Archie for a lot of recruits going forward, though, so we best all get used to seeing IU on lists with us.

igraves679

Aug 9, 2016

The combination of...

Prohms only had 2 season to recruit high ranking recruits and he's gotten 3-4 four stars plus one five star based on what website. Plus Young (2 star) is a complete steal. So I'm not really worried about prohms recruiting. Junior Lard and Senior Young could never very dangerous plus maybe a Race Thompson. Even though we have not gotten all the spring recruits, I don't think we are Transfer U anymore, and we couldn't be under Hoiberg much longer. I think either way we are (would've been) fine. Remember we would've had a shot with Boucher, and Malik Monk with Hoiberg. However, prohm has landed guys who can make an impact too. I think the future of the program is in good hands.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
You said that many schools offer kids they don't have shots with. Race has us in his top 5 idk why you were bring that up that fact .

It was in reference to your "well no duh they think they are going to get him they wouldn't be recruiting him if they didn't"

And yes, even if they didn't think they would get him they might still recruit him.

And just because he is in their top 5 doesn't mean the guy couldn't have a feeling they might not land the kid.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Don't get me wrong- I'd love to have added more to that group. I just think we typically need 1 1/2 big men for our style of play, and I consider Solomon Young to be established as a good high major player (with a lot of upside) and see Lard as a pretty highly regarded recruit that we may not have had the chance to land without the eligibility issues, so I feel better about our front court and its future than I have for quite some time.

While Prohm is known for being guard oriented his style of play has been determined by lack of post players. You can get away with small ball for only so long until we run into the Baylors or Perdues. We really need four or five solid front court guys between the court and bench. Small ball is a powerful option but not a way of life if you want to make a deep run into the tourney.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
While Prohm is known for being guard oriented his style of play has been determined by lack of post players. You can get away with small ball for only so long until we run into the Baylors or Perdues. We really need four or five solid front court guys between the court and bench. Small ball is a powerful option but not a way of life if you want to make a deep run into the tourney.
I've been thinking we won't have the players to run spread offence next year and may have to go a different way. Two point guards, two mismatch forwards (JB&SY) and a post have to be able to produce problems for most teams.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I've been thinking we won't have the players to run spread offence next year and may have to go a different way. Two point guards, two mismatch forwards (JB&SY) and a post have to be able to produce problems for most teams.

I think we'll have both but you can't have an inside game without an outside game and vice versa realized to full potential. Same goes for defense.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

The combination of...

Sigma...potential Avatar?
images

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Tough player who can create for himself. I like that he was the one that reached out to us and basically committed before he even got here. Shows he wants to work and be a part of what this community has to offer. Excited to see you on the court Jeff.