RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly commits

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Decent scoring, decent free throw %, decent rebounding ability for size. His only knock is an outside game. He will be baited a lot to shoot from outside, but overall, a decent piece for next years team. I wish we got a high caliber scoring guard with an outside shot but if this guy can drive the lane and free up Jackson or maybe Wiggington for open looks, I'm cool with that. Just thinking about who we have as outside shooters next year, much more limited than any year since before Fred.
It's not time to be picky and given what we return he should help, but his overall fg% and the ability to defend a position in the Big 12 are arguably bigger concerns.

Judging by his highlight video he was probably allowed to attempt a bunch of low percentage shots (as does shooting 23% on so many 3Ps), and hopefully that was more of a lack of discipline/coaching, but it could be also from a lack of being able to get better shots against CUSA competition. Lots of 6'6" posts with few offers out of high school would end up with poor percentages from being forced to take shots beyond their range, or tough shots like fadeaways, when facing major competition. Last year he would have been a better addition, but even next year he won't be needed or allowed to have his former usage, so his efficiency should be somewhat improved as he fills the Bowie role.

Hopefully he works as hard as guys like Nader did after graduating and comes in a solid 250 lbs with an improved game.

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think he will be a solid addition. At the very least a good bench player. Is around 8 points and 5 rebounds a game a reasonable expectation?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's just good math.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Well no duh a school is going to think he is going to end up there. If they didn't think that they could get Race they wouldn't be recruiting him.

Ummm schools recruit a lot of kids they don't have much chance with. But whatever you'd like to think, go for it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
His turnaround fade looks like it might be his signature move. He also looks willing to bulldog a little in the paint.

I'm more interested in him being a bulldog in the paint than taking fade-away jumpers.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Updated it...

I put him as a wing. Seemed fitting.

Wigginton
Jackson
Weiler-Babb
Lewis
Young
---
McNeill OR Long
Beverly
Lard

I think that is a team that might struggle early, but could surprise some people and come on strong at the end. Maybe even enough to push into the top half of the conference for an NCAA or NIT bid.

:)

Don't forget to update your total number of seniors...

Reactions: Sigmapolis

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Welcome JB! glad you are on board and good luck to you!

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Not sure where you heard that we are leading on Race Thompson. Are we in the Top 5? Yes. But we are most definitely not leading.

A poster on here about 2 or 3 weeks back posted something along the lines of "I work with Race Thompson's best friend's dad" or "my son is best friends with Race Thompson"... something along those lines... and said that at this moment Race is leaning ISU. The poster acknowledged his father being a MN football star back in the day, but Race wanting to blaze his own trail and not automatically follow in his father's footsteps.

I don't remember the thread this was in (i'd assume 2018 recruiting), but i definitely remember reading it.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Not sure where you heard that we are leading on Race Thompson. Are we in the Top 5? Yes. But we are most definitely not leading.

Minnesota, Marquette, Iowa State and Baylor are the Top 4 teams at this point. I would be pleasantly surprised if he ends up at any other place other than Minnesota. Dad was a college football stud at the U of M. However, Dad is not going to overly influence Race's decision. Great family and great kid. Prohm and company have been diligent but I think they will finish 2nd or 3rd. Baylor the other major player.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
A poster on here about 2 or 3 weeks back posted something along the lines of "I work with Race Thompson's best friend's dad" or "my son is best friends with Race Thompson"... something along those lines... and said that at this moment Race is leaning ISU. The poster acknowledged his father being a MN football star back in the day, but Race wanting to blaze his own trail and not automatically follow in his father's footsteps.

I don't remember the thread this was in (i'd assume 2018 recruiting), but i definitely remember reading it.
Yeah, that was me. And to my knowledge nothing has changed. My co-worker told me he would keep my updated if he heard any other rumblings from his son about Race. But who knows how in-the-loop he truly is. But as of 3 weeks ago, and a week before we went and visited him, Race was leaning towards Iowa State. But, as we have learned with recruiting, things change.

I am still very confident in our chances with Race, all things considered.

Last edited:

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Minnesota, Marquette, Iowa State and Baylor are the Top 4 teams at this point. I would be pleasantly surprised if he ends up at any other place other than Minnesota. Dad was a college football stud at the U of M. However, Dad is not going to overly influence Race's decision. Great family and great kid. Prohm and company have been diligent but I think they will finish 2nd or 3rd. Baylor the other major player.

Mom also did something for Marquette, too, right? Or some school in 'sconnie.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My one lingering doubt with Prohm has been his (thus far) inability to come up with a really solid plan for the front court. Solomon Young has been a godsend (for a true fresh) and we will see if Cameron Lard ends up being a steal, but consider that...

-- Bowie was alright, but Holden busted in the Big 12
-- Kasongo is an unknown... no high expectations here
-- Feazell flipped on us, Stokes went to Florida
-- Juiston took the money and ran to UNLV
-- no other long-term solutions seem out there for next year

...it just leaves me a little worried. He has proven he can recruit guards and wings, and you need a ton of those for our style and system and in the modern NCAA game, and he has proven he can pull talent from multiple sources (Shayok from UVA, Jackson from IWCC, a ton of young high school and prep school talent), but I just wish he would land a big fish post to go with and eventually supplant Solomon down on the block.

Thompson could be that guy to shut me up on this worry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron