RECRUITING: Jaren Holmes commits to Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jaren breaks down his pledge to the Cyclones here. Great stuff from him.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I really like where we are sitting right now with the transfer additions of Holmes, Williams, Ward and Tre King to next year's roster. Having them meld with Grill, Kalscheur, Kunc & Jones should be fun.

It also allows Lipsey, Watson or Eli King to step into a role versus being thrust into a role too early.

Two more scholarships open- can't wait to see who the staff lands.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I really like where we are sitting right now with the transfer additions of Holmes, Williams, Ward and Tre King to next year's roster. Having them meld with Grill, Kalscheur, Kunc & Jones should be fun.

It also allows Lipsey, Watson or Eli King to step into a role versus being thrust into a role too early.

Two more scholarships open- can't wait to see who the staff lands.
I like the idea of the good prospect freshman sort of slotted 9-10-11 or 10-11-12 when the rest of the roster is settled.

Go from there and let devolpment move them in.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Between Holmes, Williams, Kalscheur, Grill, Lipsey, and E. King, next year’s backcourt is sneaky good! Get Green and it’s the best in school history for sure.
It would be good. But I don't think it would be close to the best in school history.

Hell, 18-19 is almost assuredly better. 4 guards/wings that have been in the NBA, with Shayok being the least successful amongst them. 14-15 is probably the group I'd go with.

To get back on track, excited to see Holmes as a Cyclone. He's got the potential to be a really good player here next year, really looking forward to see what he can do.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I think people need to put expectations in check if they think this would be best in history. Strong offseason going but not Top 25 good most likely let alone historically good.
Even adding Green and Bates or Basile only puts next year’s roster in the upper 30s in the Torvik roster-cast. That’s marginally better than this past year and honestly, I’d take that knowing our staff and how much growth we are likely to see in this full offseason. We may be deeper and a bit better up front but losing Tyrese and Izaiah will hurt as well, big-time.

• Winner
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I think people need to put expectations in check if they think this would be best in history. Strong offseason going but not Top 25 good most likely let alone historically good.

Agreed, but I will say that TJ and staff are doing their due diligence just as they did at the start of last season with the transfer route. Tyrese Hunter’s departure was well out of their control. I think the future continues to be bright for this program. I’m really impressed with the additions we’ve got thus far. Don’t sleep on Hason Ward. We’re going to absolutely love his defensive energy, and quite possibly could be like a Kantrail Horton type of player going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer