CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
These are his stats through 2/16
STATS
2022-23

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Kind of what the hope was when we got him. Doing a good job at stuffing the stat sheet; not overly efficient shooting the ball, but has shot well from 3 (was 27% last year with Bonnie). I'd hate to know where we would be without him.
He also is the guy that seems to end up with ball at the end of shot clocks and has to shoot something. That hurts efficiency

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
TJ never intended for Lipsey to be the starting pg & Holmes to be the back up who actually shares the position. The Temple transfer going down changed the plan. I wouldn’t be surprised that when the injury happened that TJ thought Gabe, Grill & Holmes would split the minutes with Lipsey not ready for the meat grinder the B12 is. Holmes won’t get MVP of this team but without him, they would struggle.
Absolutely. Given the preseason injury of Williams and not getting AJ Green, Holmes's steadying presence in the backcourt has been a necessity, and it has had a cascading positive affect.
Directly it of course helps Lipsey since he's the only real PG that gets minutes. But the impact of NOT having to ask Gabe or Grill to be the secondary ball handler is what has made our offense able to grow compared to last year. Especially Gabe since he gets to focus way more on catch & shoot or attacking opportunities. His assist rate is down a bit while his turnover rate is way way down.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
STATS
2022-23

Kind of what the hope was when we got him. Doing a good job at stuffing the stat sheet; not overly efficient shooting the ball, but has shot well from 3 (was 27% last year with Bonnie). I'd hate to know where we would be without him.
I guess if you are going to fault him, I'd wish that the free throw percentage was a bit better. I'm kind of just nitpicking. All-in-all, he's doing everything we hoped plus playing a lot of point guard and his personality is terrific.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Absolutely. Given the preseason injury of Williams and not getting AJ Green, Holmes's steadying presence in the backcourt has been a necessity, and it has had a cascading positive affect.
Directly it of course helps Lipsey since he's the only real PG that gets minutes. But the impact of NOT having to ask Gabe or Grill to be the secondary ball handler is what has made our offense able to grow compared to last year. Especially Gabe since he gets to focus way more on catch & shoot or attacking opportunities. His assist rate is down a bit while his turnover rate is way way down.

I don't think people pay enough attention to how much opportunity has been given to others because A.J. Green didn't play for Iowa State.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
STATS
2022-23

When you are a guy on a team that can go get your own shot on a team full of guys that can’t, you’re probably going to be one of two things:
-inefficient
OR
-a first round pick

Combine the fact that Gabe and Grill are streaky shooters, Holmes doesn’t have the luxury to “pick his spots” like one of the negative posters wanted him to do.

Based role and the strengths of guys he’s playing with, I can’t think of an ISU player on one of the good teams whose role is more challenging to be efficient.

Other guys certainly have had huge games, but he’s probably the teams MVP.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron