RECRUITING: Iowa State earns commitment from former LSU CB Ryan Robinson Jr.

rednrdy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2010
Football- I can’t think of anybody that stands out. However, in basketball, I remember a guy named Marcus Fizer that came out of Louisiana. He turned out ok.
If Gerrod Henderson would have remained on that team...

As for FB - I feel we'd have to go back to early McCarney or late Walden years -

Rodney Guggenheim

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
If Gerrod Henderson would have remained on that team...

As for FB - I feel we'd have to go back to early McCarney or late Walden years -

Rodney Guggenheim
I remember a player named Thibadeaux (sp?) in the '80s that I'm pretty sure came up from Louisiana

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yeah, scholarship limits don't exist for places with large NIL budgets. I know everyone told me I was wrong last year but it's happening. If those teams are at 85 and want a guy, that's not stopping them. An in state guy getting reimbursed for tuition is peanuts to them.

As soon as NIL became legal, I knew that was going happen. If you have money to spend, it's just a logical move.
On the local Omaha sports radio they were whining about the NCAA talking about limiting or eliminating walk ons for this reason. Being Husker fans they were upset about potentially losing their vaunted walk on program.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
And we haven't lost many corners. Safeties, yes, but corners seem to stick around. Most likely because we play corners as true freshman more than most schools.
I’m taking a (not so) wild guess that the reason there’s been more turnover among the safeties is because Coach Broomfield keeps overrecruiting them.

Both starters and depth have gotten a major upgrade in quality since he’s gotten here.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We bring in 3 safeties a year, so of course not all of then will see the field.
I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many safeties. They by definition can run, hit and tackle in space and generally have to be experienced in dealing with both larger and quicker defenders so they are valuable in special team as well as being to fill in for corners in a pinch.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many safeties. They by definition can run, hit and tackle in space and generally have to be experienced in dealing with both larger and quicker defenders so they are valuable in special team as well as being to fill in for corners in a pinch.

I routinely subscribed to this theory when playing NCAA '14. In the early years of my dynasty I could not get good linebackers to commit when recruiting, but many of the top safeties had me as a favorite from the start. I took more safeties than needed and converted the bigger ones to LB. Obviously it's a video game so not comparable to real life but one of my safety converts won the Heisman at LB due to a ridiculous number of sacks because of his speed/tackling combo.

• Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
I routinely subscribed to this theory when playing NCAA '14. In the early years of my dynasty I could not get good linebackers to commit when recruiting, but many of the top safeties had me as a favorite from the start. I took more safeties than needed and converted the bigger ones to LB. Obviously it's a video game so not comparable to real life but one of my safety converts won the Heisman at LB due to a ridiculous number of sacks because of his speed/tackling combo.
Have you emailed Campbell with this tip?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
On the local Omaha sports radio they were whining about the NCAA talking about limiting or eliminating walk ons for this reason. Being Husker fans they were upset about potentially losing their vaunted walk on program.
You would think they would be more worried about having a winning season.