RECRUITING: Iowa State earns commitment from Army WR transfer

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Most of the defense players we lost were just depth pieces. Many of them were not going to see many snaps
I have a question on the depth, how often do we require depth?
We better start “ short terming” depth

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Anyone who gets appointed to the service academies is academically exceptional. The degrees generally include engineering equivalent programs. I was appointed to the interview Board for the service academies and it is a very competitive environment. 25 candidates were interviewed from the congressional district. The candidate lists in order which academy they wish to attend. The Board then ranks the candidates in order for each appointment. There may be ten that rank the Air Force as first choice but only two openings for example. Available slots are allocated to elected officials per state who then make the appointments. It’s complicated but I have no doubt this individual is smart and motivated if he got into an academy and survived the rigors over a period of time.

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
Anyone who gets appointed to the service academies is academically exceptional. The degrees generally include engineering equivalent programs. I was appointed to the interview Board for the service academies and it is a very competitive environment. 25 candidates were interviewed from the congressional district. The candidate lists in order which academy they wish to attend. The Board then ranks the candidates in order for each appointment. There may be ten that rank the Air Force as first choice but only two openings for example. Available slots are allocated to elected officials per state who then make the appointments. It’s complicated but I have no doubt this individual is smart and motivated if he got into an academy and survived the rigors over a period of time.
There is NO DOUBT the dude is a DUDE.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had a high school classmate who went to the AF Academy. Interestingly he had to naturalize before he went. His parents were from Colombia and he was born there. They immigrated when he was 2 and both his siblings were born here. I knew him for years before I even knew he wasn't a citizen. He was just as American as anyone else in our class.

I can just say that he was smart as a whip, top 5% of our class.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

You have to be "the best of the best" to get into a service academy.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, to be fair, why don't you wait until you've had something in your life be the same way for 50 years, and then have it completely taken away? Get back to us then. I don't think many people think the kids should be servants as you say, but it is an enormous change and I hear even a lot of younger folks saying it may not be good for the game. That remains to be seen.

Taken away?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Lol. Of all the things I’ve said on this site how does this get dumbed?

Instead of dumbing posts why don’t people say what they disagree with and offer something to counter it?

I couldn’t resist on the dumb button just for fun. I totally agree with you

• Funny
Reactions: ClubCy

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Didn't realize you could transfer out of the service academies. Just never thought about it. I know they are pretty elite to get into.
Different rules when you're an athlete. Coaches each get to nominate some. Academies also have prep schools that a lot of athletes go to for one year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and nrg4isu

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
You may be right. But I'm glad to have the Army and those who decide to serve, when we need them. And we always will need them.

Let's not debate how we've used the Army or military in the past. Whole nother topic.
Oh I was just saying it to have fun and not get into a debate about it.

Reactions: t-noah

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Different rules when you're an athlete. Coaches each get to nominate some. Academies also have prep schools that a lot of athletes go to for one year.
I can agree with this. I have a nephew who was offered a chance to go to West Point to wrestle. He declined and went to Iowa State like his dad and two uncles. The fact his dad was in the Navy probably had very little impact on his decision.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Lol. Of all the things I’ve said on this site how does this get dumbed?

Instead of dumbing posts why don’t people say what they disagree with and offer something to counter it?
You knew full well that the OP meant “something that has been consistent in your life has changed”, and yet you chose to take it literally. You were playing dumb, you got the dumb.

To be fair, if you actually didn’t get that…then you deserved the dumb in the first place.

• Informative
Reactions: ClubCy

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
You knew full well that the OP meant “something that has been consistent in your life has changed”, and yet you chose to take it literally. You were playing dumb, you got the dumb.

To be fair, if you actually didn’t get that…then you deserved the dumb in the first place.
We are talking about 18-22 year old athletes transferring schools. Individuals who most of us will never meet and outside of watching them play they will not impact our lives. It’s not that serious.

So I will ask again but in your words “what exactly in life, that had been consistent, has changed now athletes can transfer more freely?”

And if it has impacted or changed your life, go outside and get some fresh air.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I feel like Jayden Higgins was and he turned out alright.
I think that Jayden Higgins was and he turned out alright.

I notice a lot of people being a bit hesitant about this commit. I have a feeling his impact is going to be more Jayden Higgins than Dimitri Stanley.

I mean, I’m another that is uncertain about his speed. That one highlight looked great—but it was against Delaware. Not exactly a school renowned for speed on the secondary.

That said, Higgins is “fast enough”, but not a speed burner either. Er, unless someone cares to correct me?

At the least, he’s long, athletic and has great hands. I’ll admit that I’d expect him to start opposite Higgins, giving us a potentially sterling starting trio of wideouts.

I’d also expect Isaiah’s ‘24 to be similar to Jayden’s ‘23—perhaps likely including the slow start. Especially if he isn’t here for Spring ball.

And that 20 ypc is nice—but that was in Army’s “Oh my god, they’re passing?!!” offense. I’d be delighted if Isaiah averages 17 ypc this fall, like Higgins did most of the year (finished at 18.5 ypc).

I was a bit shocked to see that Jayden finished second in the conference in receiving yards per game. Jaylin was fourth in catches.

Perhaps most importantly, the addition looks like it will allow our younger wideouts to ease into the playing rotation without pressure. Of course, if one of those guys plays well enough to beat out an experienced and athletic fifth year senior…so much the better.

This looks like it’s starting to shape up to be a really explosive offense. Even if I’m taking a wait-and-see on the OL.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have a question on the depth, how often do we require depth?
We better start “ short terming” depth

I’m not sure how “short terming” would work. Guys transferring in are looking for a chance to be starters, not depth.

To answer your question, to some extent we require depth all of the time, to keep the starters fresh. The other part of the equation is that—especially with improved recruiting lately—the coaches use that depth and PT to groom younger players.

The guys who transferred out were mostly the ones without the same upside. Indeed, a couple were guys we snatched for immediate depth after being JC freshmen. It just happened not to work out for them, they were overrecruited.

Notably, three of the guys from that bunch are still on the team, including another safety and two OL—one being our starting LT.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyputz

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We are talking about 18-22 year old athletes transferring schools. Individuals who most of us will never meet and outside of watching them play they will not impact our lives. It’s not that serious.

So I will ask again but in your words “what exactly in life, that had been consistent, has changed now athletes can transfer more freely?”

And if it has impacted or changed your life, go outside and get some fresh air.
Okay, thanks for confirming which of the two “dumb” scenarios was appropriate.

And I didn’t say that I agreed, just that it was obvious what the OP meant. Blatantly so.

A third alternate scenario being that you’re attempting to troll and diminish someone else’s honest perspective and opinion. Are you sure that you want to go with that?

I mean, that option may not be “dumb”…but it is arrogant, just plain rude—and asinine.

Your choice.