Recruit List (Online Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Hasn't Baylor made the Elite Eight a few times under Drew? Wouldn't say he hasn't done anything with it.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I've felt strongly the past two years that he's had better talent than Kansas. and a much deeper team. Yet he can't win the conference. Or win in Ames, or get fans to show up in their home arena.

Sorry folks, I just don't get the Baylor draw.

For the record, Wisconsin under Bo Ryan has made a bunch of sweet sixteens. They don't get the talent that Drew does. Not even close.

Last edited:

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I've felt strongly the past two years that he's had better talent than Kansas. and a much deeper team. Yet he can't win the conference. Or win in Ames, or get fans to show up in their home arena.

For the record, Wisconsin under Bo Ryan has made a bunch of sweet sixteens. They don't get the talent that Drew does. Not even close.

This. Drew had the best team all-around in Baylor HISTORY last year, and they got the 4 seed, lost in CCG, and only made the elite eight. That's not very good. They wouldn't be smart to fire him, because, they are winning, but Drew hit the ceiling 2 years ago. Elite coaches (Self, K, Calipari, Williams) win NCs with that talent.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
A name to watch beginning tomorrow: Vitto Brown 6'-7" PF from Bowling Green, OH. Seems to be interested in Michigan, Mich St, Wisconsin, and Iowa State - sounds like he wants to visit.

Q&A: Vitto Brown visits Michigan, one to watch in July ? UMHoops.com

In other important news, Naim Thomas ('14 PG w/ Team SCAN) announced he is now following Matt Abdelmassih on twitter. FWIW.

Is it possible the reporter misheard Brown, and he said "Ohio State" and not "Iowa State"?

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I'm pretty sure it's Iowa State.

I think our involvement has been pretty recent - within the last month or so.

Last edited:

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Yeah I was looking at his rivals profile and the good guys aren't even listed, but neither is Ohio State, so who knows. Granted I normally don't like to go by rivals since they never update their site.

Niether is Cinci, Michigan or MSU, and he has apparently visited all three recently. Michigan sounds like this would put them one over on scolly's if he went there, but I'm sure they are not worried too much, as attrition happens expsecially this far out.

I think his recruitment has really picked up recently. Get him Fred!

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Baylor has definitely underachieved in conference. I can't speak to the tournament to how they fared relative to their seed. Final 8 wouldn't be underachieving but the tournament is a bit of a crapshoot while the conference season generally shows your true colors.

No way we should have tied them last year in conference.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

I agree. Baylor had big time talent on that team last year and they were deep. They had Jackson, Heslip, Miller, PJIII, Acy, Deuce Bello, that six right there is pretty freakin talented. He never got the most out of Perry Jones or Quincy Miller last year.

Put Perry Jones with a coach like Hoiberg, Self, Coach K, etc and he would have been a beast. As would Quincy Miller.

I saw a quote from Chris Walker, top ten player, who says he likes what Drew has done for players and cited Quincy MIller as an example. He said that he lets players play whatever position they want. First, he hurt Miller's draft stock big time. And I believe that PJIII said something recently about how he wasn't pushed at Baylor and that he wasn't used very well. Not sure how he is convincing kids he knows what he is doing.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Updated 2013 Top 100 Scout Rankings

65) Monte Morris
78) Matt Thomas

82) Kyle Washington

Updated Rivals 2014 Top 100

12) Chris McCullough
13) Isaiah Whitehead
20) Rashad Vaughn
31) Jared Terrell
66) Abdul-Malik Abu
94) Khadeen Carrington
98) Clayton Custer

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Updated 2013 Top 100 Scout Rankings

65) Monte Morris
78) Matt Thomas

82) Kyle Washington

Updated Rivals 2014 Top 100

12) Chris McCullough
13) Isaiah Whitehead
20) Rashad Vaughn
31) Jared Terrell
66) Abdul-Malik Abu
94) Khadeen Carrington
98) Clayton Custer

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
This. Drew had the best team all-around in Baylor HISTORY last year, and they got the 4 seed, lost in CCG, and only made the elite eight. That's not very good. They wouldn't be smart to fire him, because, they are winning, but Drew hit the ceiling 2 years ago. Elite coaches (Self, K, Calipari, Williams) win NCs with that talent.

Baylor was playing good basketball at the end of the season last year. Just like we like to ***** that we lost to the eventual NC so did they. Baylor would be stupid to bring in anyone else to coach. He gets talent there somehow, someway and they are successful, especially compared to season's past. There are enough talented kids out there that want to wear crazy jerseys, play on ESPN, not have to play man-to-man defense, and have the freedom to play how they want to fill up Baylor's recruiting class each year. To say they ONLY got a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, ONLY lost to a Final Four team in the CCG and ONLY made an Elite 8 where they lost to a crazy talented team, is just kind of silly. I really hope when Fred walks in to recruit against them he doesn't say they've ONLY been doing this the last few seasons....

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Here's a quick (20 min) podcast from the Scout people (Evan Daniels, Brian Snow, and Josh Gershon) about the updated rankings. Brian Snow mentions that Matt Thomas is one of the players he's very interested to see in July. Says he watched him for the first time this spring, and instantly liked his game.

Scout.com: 2013 Rankings Podcast

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Here's a quick (20 min) podcast from the Scout people (Evan Daniels, Brian Snow, and Josh Gershon) about the updated rankings. Brian Snow mentions that Matt Thomas is one of the players he's very interested to see in July. Says he watched him for the first time this spring, and instantly liked his game.

Scout.com: 2013 Rankings Podcast

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Also, minor news from earlier this week - '13 SG Josh Kozinski committed to Central Michigan. I never heard us associated with him after the initial mention, via twitter last summer.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I’d like to not defend S. Drew, there are many coaches that I feel are better technically and game managers including CFH, however he has brought a program out of nowhere after “player murder fiasco†in Waco, TX and he does have 2 Elite 8’s on his resume …
Whatever he is doing to elite attract players, it is working and there is no reason that Baylor should not be happy with where their program is at. (I do hope that the falls in the Draft by Jones and Miller could be pointed to as a knock on Drew though it should be noted injury’s played a role in their fall too.)
Remember there were many people knocking Coach K., Coach Cal, and ol’ boy Roy Williams as not finishing the deal with talented teams prior to their first championship…
(Again I don’t think Drew is anywhere the caliber of game coach as those three nor anywhere near KU’s Self)

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I’d like to not defend S. Drew, there are many coaches that I feel are better technically and game managers including CFH, however he has brought a program out of nowhere after “player murder fiasco†in Waco, TX and he does have 2 Elite 8’s on his resume …
Whatever he is doing to elite attract players, it is working and there is no reason that Baylor should not be happy with where their program is at. (I do hope that the falls in the Draft by Jones and Miller could be pointed to as a knock on Drew though it should be noted injury’s played a role in their fall too.)
Remember there were many people knocking Coach K., Coach Cal, and ol’ boy Roy Williams as not finishing the deal with talented teams prior to their first championship…
(Again I don’t think Drew is anywhere the caliber of game coach as those three nor anywhere near KU’s Self)

I would go play basketball for money under the table and free education too.

Status
Not open for further replies.