Reclassifying 4A football

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
Catholic schools academics are vastly overrated due to the fact they don't have hardly any poor kids, mentally handicapped kids, etc, etc, etc that bring down their overall achievement scores. It also drastically helps their graduation rates as well. But you knew that, right?

People want to put their kids in private schools because they don't have to deal with the "riff raff" that are in the public schools. You know.... the underprivileged, the minority's, the single parent kids, etc. That's mostly what it's about.

You can get just as good of an education at any of the public high schools in CR as you can at Xavier without question. It's all a matter of what the kid puts into it.
Wow, there's been a lot of sweeping generalizations throughout this whole thread, but the one in the middle paragraph really takes the cake. Quite the assumption to jump to. Pretty cynical viewpoint on people

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
4A enrollments have stretched enough that Valley/Waukee are 3 times the size of the bottom enrollments of 4A like Hoover or Mason City. If Hoover and Mason City played teams 3 times smaller than them, they'd be playing 2A schools like Albia or West Liberty.

Some restructuring of the class sizes (42 in 4A football, at least 54 in all others) or creating additional classes is probably overdue to begin with, even though that, based on enrollment alone, would make things worse for every metro school save Hoover.

Maybe I'm just nuts and it's always been 3X top-to-bottom in 4A, just with different schools in different places, but it would be interesting to know how the 4A enrollment spread has changed compared to the mid-2000s, mid-90s, mid-80s. But again, without some other factor alongside enrollment, this kind of tinkering probably only makes it worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnerclone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I can live with that. But is there going to be a huge outcry when a program like Applington-Parkersburg creates a dynasty and they appear to be punished for it?

Are they 2A? For this example they would probably still play 2A schools most of the time for local games, but would also play some 3A, and be in the 3A playoffs.

They would basically have to prove it. What's the challenge in beating the crap out of small schools if you always win? Step up to the next level and prove you are a great program.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Through all the private school jack off fest in this thread I totally forgot that HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS DON’T ******* MATTER. Who cares if North High gets their ass kicked? Who cares if CR Xavier wins a lot? My HS was good at sports and I won a state title but my club soccer team and winning state cups and playing in tournaments across the countries was what was really important.

The HS basketball coach wouldn’t work with me and another guy on my club soccer team when it came to leaving practices a little early and not traveling with the team to and from some games so we could make our club soccer commitments so we just quit the HS basketball team.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Ah, I see this thread has ended up just where the other thread from a few weeks ago did.

source.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Are they 2A? For this example they would probably still play 2A schools most of the time for local games, but would also play some 3A, and be in the 3A playoffs.

They would basically have to prove it. What's the challenge in beating the crap out of small schools if you always win? Step up to the next level and prove you are a great program.
I really don't care, but I bet there will be a huge outcry when it is a small public school that is forced to jump up a level or two.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I really don't care, but I bet there will be a huge outcry when it is a small public school that is forced to jump up a level or two.

Why would a 1A team jump to 3A or a 2A team to 4A?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Back to the Des Moines, schools, here is an off the wall idea. There are 5 Des Moines schools, all under the umbrella of the DM school district. Why not designate each school a magnet school for a certain area of study.
East becomes the Arts HS
Lincoln the Atheletic HS
North the vo-tech HS
Roosevelt math and science
Hoover foreign language
A person could get a general ed HS diploma from any of the schools, but understands that if I want to take upper level math or science that would only be offered at Roosevelt. Take everyone that wants to play sports, you go to Lincoln, and that is the only school that has sports teams. East would have the band to play at the DM School district games.
Students at each school would have a curriculum for their interest. So in Lincoln you would do the basic ed classes, but spend more of your day working on your sport. Or at East playing your band instrument or working on acting or whatever.
Hell, it might seem crazy, but it might just work.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Maybe the things that make the academics better overall is the same thing that makes the athletics better overall? I do not disagree that you can do just as well elsewhere. The difference is the environment parents want their kids in. Right or wrong, it's not a stretch to say Columbus in Waterloo is probably a safer environment than either of the public high schools.

Also, I thought people put their kids into private schools because they were recruited. Which one is it?

Are the kids opening enroll out of Marshalltown into West Marshall snooty that don't want to deal with the Riff Raff?

Thanks for at least being honest on the topic (bolded above). You are correct that some parents want their kids in a school surrounded by other well off kids, and away from the poor "trouble maker" kids. It's not a big deal, it is what it is, but at least you admitted it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wow, there's been a lot of sweeping generalizations throughout this whole thread, but the one in the middle paragraph really takes the cake. Quite the assumption to jump to. Pretty cynical viewpoint on people

Hey, one of the private school proponents above in this thread admitted it, and I've heard numerous parents talk about never putting their kids in public school because it's not "safe". Really? Interesting.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You make assumptions. "A different environment" could be the expectation all students are going to college and will encourage their peers likewise. Or it could be because they don't want them around poorer kids, who knows. Every family has different motivations. I trust you have the same assumption that everyone open enrolling from Marshalltown to West Marshall "for smaller class sizes" has the same mindset as your private school parent. If not, what's the difference?
I just assumed it was because marshalltown is a ********

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So you're saying certain familes open enroll to get away from other students? What kind of students are they getting away from?
I just meant marshalltown in general. But I'm assuming minorities like people open enrolling other places

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Man, I need to stop reading this thread, but what a damn trainwreck. The amount of ridiculousness is just unreal.

I was a public school kid K-College, but am sending my daughter to private school Pre-k - 12. Her Pre-k - 8th grade private school classes will have more diversity and family setting/financial status variations than if she went to the Waukee schools two blocks away.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You are probably true, your issues are probably more common than I eluded. But what about the other private schools who have established themselves financially sound? Wahlert, Xaiver, Beckman, Don Bosco don't have the same financial problems your high school and others like it had. They financially have everything they want so they will remain in the same class and fill that freshly bought trophy case.
Pretty sure Don Bosco is a wrestling academy that does just enough to call itself a high school.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In my 30 years of teaching, kids open enroll out of a district for 2 basic reasons.
They are pissed off at someone in the district, a teacher or coach and think they can get a fresh start at another schools.
Or its because of convenience, they work in anther community and its easier to load the kids up and drop they by the school on their way to work, then have to leave before the kids get on the bus.
I have seen maybe 5 leave for the reasons of sports. One of those wanted his daughter to get enough wins to make the hall of fame, and she would not be the #1 pitcher at her current school until she was a Jr. She did pitch the state final game as a senior at Fairfield. But the school she left won the state tournament twice after she left, and she would have started in the field for those teams, but rarely pitched.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
In my 30 years of teaching, kids open enroll out of a district for 2 basic reasons.
They are pissed off at someone in the district, a teacher or coach and think they can get a fresh start at another schools.
Or its because of convenience, they work in anther community and its easier to load the kids up and drop they by the school on their way to work, then have to leave before the kids get on the bus.
I have seen maybe 5 leave for the reasons of sports. One of those wanted his daughter to get enough wins to make the hall of fame, and she would not be the #1 pitcher at her current school until she was a Jr. She did pitch the state final game as a senior at Fairfield. But the school she left won the state tournament twice after she left, and she would have started in the field for those teams, but rarely pitched.

Cardinal had a good run for a few years.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Cardinal had a good run for a few years.

Yes we did. The girl I was talking about I coached in MS bb, she and a teammate were two of my best players. Both ended up at Fairfield, batting if I remember right 4th and 5th on that state runner up team for Fairfield. At one time the 2nd girl had a her older sister at Pekin where her dad taught, the brother at Cardinal and the mom and the her at Fairfield. And they lived in Agency.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Very common reason in the wrestling world.