Reasons for Optimism (or, Don't Burn Your Tickets Yet)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
At this moment, the UWM game is still undecided. ISU down 10, and deep in the We all recognize that this looks like hot wet garbage. But I think there are some reasons to be optimistic.

1. Chemistry. We saw this last year early, when CSP was experimenting with rotations early, and it got better. This is worse, because all but 3 of these guys never played together at all. It will get better here too, especially as he settles on 4-5 guys in the backcourt.

2. Wigg. He will have more minutes by Christmas than Monte did by March his freshman year. The game will slow down for him, and he will start making some shots. This should in turn open up DJax, which is critical, because he can't really get his own shot consistently. He is more Matt than Monte.

3. Lard/Brase. I have no idea what either of these 2 will bring on offense or defense, but it HAS to be more than Beverly. He's a great hustle guy, but he can't be starting at the 4.

Now, when I say optimistic, I don't mean top half of the Big12 or making the NCAA. I mean respectable and looking like a decent basketball team. Unlike what we've seen so far. Not sure these guys would win an ISU intramural league the way they are playing right now.

Meanwhile, Clones down 11 with 7:30 to go. To UWM. At Hilton. We are definitely getting a tour of the Pit of Misery.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
There's no reason to polish a turd. This game is clearly that.
Don't spin positives on a performance like this. Just accept that it's terrible and move on from there.

Are you using a lighter this year, or going old school and buying some matches?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There isn't enough talent on this team to be good, and the players we do have haven't played together enough to even be competitive at this point. Hopefully by the end of the year we have seen noticeable progress. .500 would be a miracle at this point.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
What offense works when you have no shooters and no inside scoring presence? Just pack it in.

And offensive execution? We've had one of the best offenses in the country the last 6 years.
Yes, thanks to guys like Niang, Monte, Naz, Thomas.

Show me one set play we've run this year that resulted in a lay-up or easy bucket. Heck, we are struggling to even get the ball inbounded this year. Remember Fred's inbound plays? We used to get layups every other time!