Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Amazon is going to be a new partner of the NBA and already is engaged with the NFL. Your first sentence doesn't make sense.

And the reason they and Apple aren't in the CFP regular season space is that regular season and playoff packages aren't aggregated. Apple lowballed the PAC for good reason, it was a regional West Coast package only with no guarantee of CFP access at that time. And Amazon bid more than NBC and CBS for B10 rights but with Fox at the negotiating table, Amazon was going to get shut out because Fox (along with ESPN) didn't want them in on the CFP bidding.
That is 100% false on the big ten part, the schools didn’t want to be on streaming. It’s a big part of the reason Warren moved on, he misrepresented how many games would already be on streaming and the schools were and still are pissed.

The NFL is ratings proof. CFB is not. The Notre Dame games on peacock don’t even break 200K viewers. It’s just not the same

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If there were schools that decide to "drop out" of the SEC or Big 10 due to paying players, I could see either conference filling back in with ACC or Big 12 schools. This is going to be an interesting couple of years for sure.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Keep buying that tin foil in bulk bud
LOL, even a B10/Fox symp like yourself should be able to comprehend that the recent CFP bid process/award (which is all factual), past/future realignment moves, excessive CFP auto bids for B10/SEC and absurd CFP revenue sharing overly favorable for B10/SEC are all clear evidence of CFB orchestration by ESPN/Fox and their two puppets.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If there were schools that decide to "drop out" of the SEC or Big 10 due to paying players, I could see either conference filling back in with ACC or Big 12 schools. This is going to be an interesting couple of years for sure.
I'm still kinda rooting for the absolute top 18-20 brands to join together and separate from everyone else.

All the schools I give a **** about aren't making that cut, and the rest of us could reorganize in some rational fashion.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I would suggest that it doesn't matter if the SEC goes to 20 and takes Kansas (or even OSU too).

In that scenario, the ACC implodes as well, with their best 4-6 teams going away to B1G/SEC. Leaving the best of the rest to merge/join the Big12, which will have something like 24 teams. It would be the 3rd of 3 conferences, but it would still be too big to ignore completely.

Losing KU wouldn't impact the overall distributions either, imo. Would still be getting like half of what the P2 are getting, whether you take that as a terror or a comfort.

That said, it would suck to lose another long time conference foe, and major basketball villain.

Reactions: HouClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would suggest that it doesn't matter if the SEC goes to 20 and takes Kansas (or even OSU too).

In that scenario, the ACC implodes as well, with their best 4-6 teams going away to B1G/SEC. Leaving the best of the rest to merge/join the Big12, which will have something like 24 teams. It would be the 3rd of 3 conferences, but it would still be too big to ignore completely.

Losing KU wouldn't impact the overall distributions either, imo. Would still be getting like half of what the P2 are getting, whether you take that as a terror or a comfort.

That said, it would suck to lose another long time conference foe, and major basketball villain.
Yes, that's the loss. Financially it would change nothing, and with the additions of UConn, Louisville, Duke, etc the Big 12 would still reign supreme in hoops.

But the fun in college sports for me lays in knowing we'll always have "School X" on the schedule. And KU seemed like they were stuck in that spot permanently.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'm still kinda rooting for the absolute top 18-20 brands to join together and separate from everyone else.

All the schools I give a **** about aren't making that cut, and the rest of us could reorganize in some rational fashion.
As long as ToE doesn't make the cut, I could absolutely live with that.

Next best thing to a coup d'etat where someone takes over as a fair overseer to pass and enforce rules that keep the playing field somewhat level, like the professional sports have.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
As long as ToE doesn't make the cut, I could absolutely live with that.

Next best thing to a coup d'etat where someone takes over as a fair overseer to pass and enforce rules that keep the playing field somewhat level, like the professional sports have.
They wouldn't.

And if they did, they'd be going like 2-10 for the rest of their existence which would be funny too.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

KU has got an extended B12 GOR to deal with before they can think about exiting the B12.

And the ACC schools looking to leave get their GOR obligations eliminated when/if ESPN declines their ACC extension option in 2027.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
KU has got an extended B12 GOR to deal with before they can think about exiting the B12.

And the ACC schools looking to leave get their GOR obligations eliminated when/if ESPN declines their ACC extension option in 2027.
I would be pretty surprised if ESPN declines that extension, they are getting a bargain

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Amazon is going to be a new partner of the NBA and already is engaged with the NFL. Your first sentence doesn't make sense.

And the reason they and Apple aren't in the CFP regular season space is that regular season and playoff packages aren't aggregated. Apple lowballed the PAC for good reason, it was a regional West Coast package only with no guarantee of CFP access at that time. And Amazon bid more than NBC and CBS for B10 rights but with Fox at the negotiating table, Amazon was going to get shut out because Fox (along with ESPN) didn't want them in on the CFP bidding.
My first sentence is in reference to CFB, which is the subject of this thread- not NBA or NFL. The NBA is going all in on subscription/non-OTA with ESPN/Peacock/Amazon as their reported TV partners on their new media rights contract.

If it made financial sense for Apple or Amazon to own CFB inventory they would have made their bid attractive to the Pac12 or Big10. It is also a 2 way street. The Big10 went all-in on OTA broadcast of their games in their most recent contract. The Big10 may have been interested in giving Amazon or Apple its 3rd tier games at a premium price. But that wasn't what Amazon wanted. And yes, it wasn't in FOX's interest to drop down in the game pecking order because Big Noon is their gateway to CFB viewership on Saturdays. Counting on a lot of Big10 game viewers stick around for FOX's afternoon Big12 game.

Sure FOX is in bed with the Big10. But unless I missed something, did FOX's relationship help them get CFP intentory? Nope. ESPN got exclusive rights through 2032, which is after the expiration of current Big10 TV Rights deal with FOX/NBC/CBS.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I would be pretty surprised if ESPN declines that extension, they are getting a bargain
They will decline as part of their long term consolidation plan and financial focus on the SEC. Also helps keeps them out of court for any ACC GOR issues related to FSU. Clemson, UNC exit preferences.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
They will decline as part of their long term consolidation plan and financial focus on the SEC. Also helps keeps them out of court for any ACC GOR issues related to FSU. Clemson, UNC exit preferences.
ESPN isn’t going to be involved with court at all, have never been named or even talked about. Again you get those teams at a bargain price, as long as they are in the ACC it’s in ESPN’s best interest to keep them there for minimal cost. No business would make that move when they are locked in at a lower rate until the early 2030’s.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Sure FOX is in bed with the Big10. But unless I missed something, did FOX's relationship help them get CFP intentory? Nope. ESPN got exclusive rights through 2032, which is after the expiration of current Big10 TV Rights deal with FOX/NBC/CBS.
As previously posted multiple times, ESPN was surprisingly and mysteriously the sole bidder for CFP extension rights at below market value. They also got a sublicensing option which is unheard of for a premium package like that. That sublicensing option will in all likelihood be granted to Fox, also at below market value. Remember at the first of the year when it was reported that Fox was going all in CFP bidding? Didn't even submit a bid and didn't have to as it turns out because ESPN got the absurd sublicensing option.

Win-Win for ESPN and Fox and all orchestrated with the help of their SEC/B10 puppets.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I’m not sure how you got to 23 or 24. If they expand again there are only 2 maybe 3 schools that they would realistically add.
They are already at 18 schools this fall, and you keep reading talk about taking at least two more from the ACC, that puts you at 20. So, you are suggesting that after hitting 20 they will stop? What happens if ND decides they want in, the B10 tells them to pound sand and turn them away? The league would take them in a NY minute because they are the one school left out there that truly brings high dollar value to any conference that could bag them.

Everything I have seen is talking between 40 and 48 schools for this new Super Division of football, if the B10 is at 20 with UNC and UV, then getting to 22 taking ND and say KU is a no brainer, then add two more teams because the networks want 48 teams seems very easy.

If we reach that point, the networks will be calling the shots and the conference will go along with it, we might be there now. If the FOX and ESPN say we want 48 teams for this new division, then they are going to get 48 teams, which means one of two things, either add teams that have been overlooked from the ACC and B12.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ESPN isn’t going to be involved with court at all, have never been named or even talked about. Again you get those teams at a bargain price, as long as they are in the ACC it’s in ESPN’s best interest to keep them there for minimal cost. No business would make that move when they are locked in at a lower rate until the early 2030’s.
ESPN doesn't want their ACC contract publicly disclosed. Of course, they are going to be involved in the court proceedings to some extent as they are party to the GOR. Their contract with the ACC is why the GOR exists.

ESPN wants fewer mouths to feed with premium payouts and they do so by declining the ACC option and grease the skids for them to expand the SEC at their choosing and let the likes of BC, Syracuse, etc. get destroyed like Fox did with ORSt and Wazzu.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
ESPN doesn't want their ACC contract publicly disclosed. Of course, they are going to be involved in the court proceedings to some extent as they are party to the GOR. Their contract with the ACC is why the GOR exists.

ESPN wants fewer mouths to feed with premium payouts and they do so by declining the ACC option and grease the skids for them to expand the SEC at their choosing and let the likes of BC, Syracuse, etc. get destroyed like Fox did with ORSt and Wazzu.
Their contract is already public record, the information can just get FOIAed because they are public institutions. That’s why everyone in the know has been saying the GOR is ironclad.

You realize that the SEC rights are up again before the ACC right? ESPN would be paying more for significantly less, that’s just horrible business. I get that it doesn’t fit into your back room crazy conspiracy theories but that’s reality

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
As previously posted multiple times, ESPN was surprisingly and mysteriously the sole bidder for CFP extension rights at below market value. They also got a sublicensing option which is unheard of for a premium package like that. That sublicensing option will in all likelihood be granted to Fox, also at below market value. Remember at the first of the year when it was reported that Fox was going all in CFP bidding? Didn't even submit a bid and didn't have to as it turns out because ESPN got the absurd sublicensing option.

Win-Win for ESPN and Fox and all orchestrated with the help of their SEC/B10 puppets.
Maybe. But IMO you are making a lot of assumptions- creating the shooter on the grassy knoll.

FOX has a different business model than Disney. They are the least aggressive sport media rights company in pursuing streaming. They aren't all in on CFB. They have always been willing to play 3rd fiddle. Their relationship with the Big10 isn't about being a "worldwide leader in sport". It's about maximizing profit at minimal investment. After all, they invited CBS to fill the 3pm window and NBC the 7pm window with Big10 games.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
They are already at 18 schools this fall, and you keep reading talk about taking at least two more from the ACC, that puts you at 20. So, you are suggesting that after hitting 20 they will stop? What happens if ND decides they want in, the B10 tells them to pound sand and turn them away? The league would take them in a NY minute because they are the one school left out there that truly brings high dollar value to any conference that could bag them.

Everything I have seen is talking between 40 and 48 schools for this new Super Division of football, if the B10 is at 20 with UNC and UV, then getting to 22 taking ND and say KU is a no brainer, then add two more teams because the networks want 48 teams seems very easy.

If we reach that point, the networks will be calling the shots and the conference will go along with it, we might be there now. If the FOX and ESPN say we want 48 teams for this new division, then they are going to get 48 teams, which means one of two things, either add teams that have been overlooked from the ACC and B12.
Everything you have heard is from talking heads that are paid to make up stuff. That’s legit their job. No one who actually is involved is talking about that. There are 4 schools of value, UNC, FSU, ND and possibly Clemson although that’s failing fast.

Also I have to laugh at the idea that the networks are calling the shots. If one of the conferences wants to move to Apple or Amazon during the next media deal Fox and ESPN are powerless.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE