Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
This Super League idea is dead on arrival, but sure seems to me that could be sweet!

1712352278291.png

I tried to take my own crack at the 10 team divisions of geographical rivals.

Weird fits
  1. Big 8 adopted BYU & Utah (Colorado kinda has rivals with Utah.)
  2. SWC adopted Cinci & Louisville (Conference USA history with SMU & Houston)
  3. Penn St, ND, VT, Miami back in the Big East.
  4. South Carolina most fitting from SEC to ACC due to some history there.
  5. The guys idea was any team that had every been P5 would be included, UCF & USF be happy to be in the group of 5 division but they can't ever be regulated out.
  6. Note: I figure there's enough for 4 group of 5 conferences, the winners promoted next year so the 4 losers are regulated each year. Its tough because college teams are the same year to year. I like the idea though.

Reactions: cayin

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This Super League idea is dead on arrival, but sure seems to me that could be sweet!

View attachment 127041

Weird fits
  5. The guys idea was any team that had every been P5 would be included, UCF & USF be happy to be in the group of 5 division but they can't ever be regulated out.
  6. Note: I figure there's enough for 4 group of 5 conferences, the winners promoted next year so the 4 losers are regulated each year. Its tough because college teams are the same year to year. I like the idea though.
That's really not that much different from what conferences were 20 years ago - regional based entities. The above will never fly because it doesn't keep the SEC and B1G as the "owners" of college sports. They're setting it up so they are basically the board of directors for every direction and decision that affects college athletics. This diminishes that.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

View attachment 127041

Weird fits
  6. Note: I figure there's enough for 4 group of 5 conferences, the winners promoted next year so the 4 losers are regulated each year. It’s tough because college teams are the same year to year. I like the idea though.
Based on what I saw in proposal, UConn would not be in the group of 70, but UCF is. You should put UCF in their spot. UConn most likely doesn’t make first cut.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That's really not that much different from what conferences were 20 years ago - regional based entities. The above will never fly because it doesn't keep the SEC and B1G as the "owners" of college sports. They're setting it up so they are basically the board of directors for every direction and decision that affects college athletics. This diminishes that.
Substitute ESPN and Fox for SEC and B10 here. They are driving the opposition to a Super League

If any of you didn't have access to the Athletic's article on this, here was the most revealing quote re' ESPN and Fox: "Leagues have been hesitant and canceled meetings so as not to upset their current broadcast partners, including ESPN and Fox, according to one executive briefed on the commissioners’ thoughts."

ESPN and Fox don't want the Super League for multiple reasons. They want consolidation of top brands into the B10 and SEC so they can pay less overall for CFB content and continue their control of those two conferences. They also don't want the aggregation of Super League TV rights amongst all 70-80 teams for both the regular season and CFP like the NFL does because that opens the door for new entrants like Apple and Amazon in an open bidding for those rights.

As Andrew Marchand pointed out in an interview with 365, the Bamas and Ohio Sts would likely get more money in a Super League setup with rights aggregation and the proposed unequal revenue sharing model that would likely be based on TV ratings and CFP success. Obviously ESPN and Fox will spin a different story to their SEC and B10 schools but if the Super League committee can convince a majority of SEC and B10 Presidents otherwise, this has a got a shot of being implemented.

And financial issues aren't the only thing at play here. There are multiple legal and political issues as well. The legal issues include resolution/settlement of pending NIL/employee court cases and the political issues include the potential destruction of more athletic programs beyond Oregon St and Washington St by additional realignment that is driven by EPSN and Fox.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cloneon

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Based on what I saw in proposal, UConn would not be in the group of 70, but UCF is. You should put UCF in their spot. UConn most likely doesn’t make first cut.
I really liked Khan's proposed seven 10-team conferences for the most part but I think a few tweaks could be made:
  • ND can stay an indy and have at large access to the Super League playoff. Their non-FB sports can move to the private school Big East. Substitute UConn for ND in the football Big East
  • Now if ND has to be in the Super League, put them in the ACC and Maryland in the Big East

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Substitute ESPN and Fox for SEC and B10 here. They are driving the opposition to a Super League

If any of you didn't have access to the Athletic's article on this, here was the most revealing quote re' ESPN and Fox: "Leagues have been hesitant and canceled meetings so as not to upset their current broadcast partners, including ESPN and Fox, according to one executive briefed on the commissioners’ thoughts."

ESPN and Fox don't want the Super League for multiple reasons. They want consolidation of top brands into the B10 and SEC so they can pay less overall for CFB content and continue their control of those two conferences. They also don't want the aggregation of Super League TV rights amongst all 70-80 teams for both the regular season and CFP like the NFL does because that opens the door for new entrants like Apple and Amazon in an open bidding for those rights.

As Andrew Marchand pointed out in an interview with 365, the Bamas and Ohio Sts would likely get more money in a Super League setup with rights aggregation and the proposed unequal revenue sharing model that would likely be based on TV ratings and CFP success. Obviously ESPN and Fox will spin a different story to their SEC and B10 schools but if the Super League committee can convince a majority of SEC and B10 Presidents otherwise, this has a got a shot of being implemented.

And financial issues aren't the only thing at play here. There are multiple legal and political issues as well. The legal issues include resolution/settlement of pending NIL/employee court cases and the political issues include the potential destruction of more athletic programs beyond Oregon St and Washington St by additional realignment that is driven by EPSN and Fox.
The other major factor is the group driving this (and getting nowhere) is private equity. You know the same groups that ruined the healthcare system, real estate, etc. No university wants to get in bed with them.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The other major factor is the group driving this (and getting nowhere) is private equity. You know the same groups that ruined the healthcare system, real estate, etc. No university wants to get in bed with them.
With the Presidential representation on the Super League Committee including from the B12, I highly doubt the PE factor is a big deterrent at this point. This is about ESPN and Fox being against it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
At the end of the day, the facts are pretty clear...
  • The B1G and SEC hold ALL the leverage.
  • Other conferences are grasping at straws to create alternative paths forward.
  • Those other conferences have NO leverage to get B1G or SEC to the table.
  • Media companies - those that drive most of this - have absolutely every reason to prevent those alternative paths.
  • Viewership is INCREASING despite all the turmoil and fan threats of tuning out.
  • NIL is here to stay and donors are clear that they don't plan on changing directions or giving less.
  • As contracts continue to come up for renewal, B1G and SEC will continue to create further tiers of pay that only continue to expand the already huge financial distribution margins.
  • As players become employees, the financial income differences are only going to hit harder to the second tier.
  • Non BB and FB programs are going to be hurt massively with employment because they don't contribute to the bottom line and will only further take from it.
Now, I hate every single bullet above, but the sooner everybody understands it's the reality, the sooner the mindset can change to ensuring that 2nd tier is in the best position possible. I don't fault them for trying to throw pasta at the wall, but the B1G and SEC aren't even in the restaurant to care.

The ACC, Big 12, Pac12 whatever, and some other possible conferences need to create their own steering group to ensure they are in lock-step at every turn. This is the time for an actual, meaningful, and legally binding alliance of the tier 2 conferences.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Jkclone15 and legi

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Big East based on traditional rivalries. dont forget PSU tried to unite the eastern independents into a league, but was rejected and only then went to BIG.

1. PSU
2. Pitt
3. Maryland
4. WVU
5. Rutgers
6. BC
7. Syracuse
8. VT
9. Louisville
10. Cinn.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
At the end of the day, the facts are pretty clear...
  • The B1G and SEC hold ALL the leverage.
  • Other conferences are grasping at straws to create alternative paths forward.
  • Those other conferences have NO leverage to get B1G or SEC to the table.
  • Media companies - those that drive most of this - have absolutely every reason to prevent those alternative paths.
  • Viewership is INCREASING despite all the turmoil and fan threats of tuning out.
  • NIL is here to stay and donors are clear that they don't plan on changing directions or giving less.
  • As contracts continue to come up for renewal, B1G and SEC will continue to create further tiers of pay that only continue to expand the already huge financial distribution margins.
  • As players become employees, the financial income differences are only going to hit harder to the second tier.
  • Non BB and FB programs are going to be hurt massively with employment because they don't contribute to the bottom line and will only further take from it.
Now, I hate every single bullet above, but the sooner everybody understands it's the reality, the sooner the mindset can change to ensuring that 2nd tier is in the best position possible. I don't fault them for trying to throw pasta at the wall, but the B1G and SEC aren't even in the restaurant to care.

The ACC, Big 12, Pac12 whatever, and some other possible conferences need to create their own steering group to ensure they are in lock-step at every turn. This is the time for an actual, meaningful, and legally binding alliance of the tier 2 conferences.
Bill Simmons had a really interesting pod recently on the value tech streaming companies see in sports. Google, Apple, and Amazon get so much more data they can monetize than ESPN, etc.

It will be interesting to see how they view these things compared to the media companies. I’d expect them to want something in every region if possible.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer and Cloneon

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Bill Simmons had a really interesting pod recently on the value tech streaming companies see in sports. Google, Apple, and Amazon get so much more data they can monetize than ESPN, etc.

It will be interesting to see how they view these things compared to the media companies. I’d expect them to want something in every region if possible.

On the flip side, ESPN can monetize ESPNbet more if the games are on their network and they can push that service.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That would be a really weak football conference IMO.
Yea, since the proposal is to have each Conference Champ automatically make the 16 team playoff and the next highest 8 ranked teams (I believe), it would seem some effort needs to be made to balance out the conference SOS, Maybe conferences could flex every 2-4 years.

Also, if there is such a premium for being Conference Champ, I could see traditional rivals like OSU and Michigan wanting to not be in the same conference. They could always schedule their rivalry non-conference.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It's from Depressed Ginger, so you know it is a POS take.

View attachment 127085

The way this guy tries to change his voice drives me nuts.

You can tell he is really trying hard to change his inflection, and it is really annoying.

He puts weird emphasis on some words etc, I am not sure what he is trying to do, whether he is trying to have a newscaster voice or what but it is awful.

To your second point that is from Altimore, so take that info for what it is. He is great at swaying his data to prove his point, whether he takes a data set that is very outdated or adds in only certain years, to adjusting data in some way to make his point seem legit. His schools are Stan and Cal and really all the old pac schools in that are now in the ACC and B1G, notice how high they are in his rankings, (Stan is second in the ACC? And Cal, is top 5? LOL for Attractiveness. Give me a break.

Sep 10, 2015
Big East based on traditional rivalries. dont forget PSU tried to unite the eastern independents into a league, but was rejected and only then went to BIG.

1. PSU
2. Pitt
3. Maryland
4. WVU
5. Rutgers
6. BC
7. Syracuse
8. VT
9. Louisville
10. Cinn.
Yeah, that’s an interesting fact that is largely forgotten. As I recall, the basketball schools voted against it. And then even after being in the B1G for a long time, they were long viewed as a flight risk. I’ve read some Athletic articles with quotes from Delaney that said adding Maryland and Rutgers was at least partly to dissuade Penn St from leaving for the ACC. At the time there wasn’t much money difference between the conferences and Penn St felt like they were on a bit of an island as the easternmost school in a Midwest conference.