Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The PAC would have never taken TCU or Baylor.

ISU and KU to the B1G was a real possibility before USC lifted its skirt.
It got rumored a bunch, but I don't think it was realistic.

I do think there was a realistic shot of the Big 12 publics joining up with the rest of the Pac 12, and that's basically what happened just in the reverse.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So had USC and UCLA reached out to the Big 12 and said they were interested in joining, you think BY and the conference leaders would've been up front about it and notified the PAC and did all the things that the B1G didn't do?
But those schools didn't and would not have because the money difference did not make it practical for them. What the B12 would have done is not the same as what the B10 did. Thinking about stealing something and not doing it, is not the same for actually stealing it, and then saying, "you would have done the same."

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Don’t count them because they were new ads, if they were permanently kept at a lower payout then I would
The idea that it will never happen when many schools have been or still are at a lower payment, is a bit over optimistic.

It would not take much for them to move to a permanent uneven revenue model. Nebraska just got a full share in the last few years, after how long? Maryland and Rutgers are still reduced after how long? Oregon and Washington are extremely reduced....for how long? I am not even sure they have an end date. I believe the speculation/hope is they will get a full share or possibly just an increase in the next contract.

I hate to say it but in the future the only hope for some teams to stay in the B1G may be to take a reduced share. The big boys are happy to give everyone the same...minus any new teams, as long as they keep getting a huge bump in pay at every contract. But what happens when those huge bumps start to disappear. Disney, ESPN, Fox etc are struggling with money, They are trying to back out of some contracts. They are making back door out clauses in contracts. Some day it might come that the B1G gets little to no bump in their media contract, possibly even a reduction. The schools at the top may not want to take that hit, they may say we bring all the value and Northwestern doesnt. At which point they might say take a reduced share or go somewhere else.

Not saying it WILL happen, but I would not say it will NEVER happen.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So had USC and UCLA reached out to the Big 12 and said they were interested in joining, you think BY and the conference leaders would've been up front about it and notified the PAC and did all the things that the B1G didn't do?
I think what you are missing is, the Big 10 claims that they did nothing to make it happen. They are pretending they are perfectly innocent like they always do.

The Big 12 has never claimed that it was not actively seeking new members. The B12 has always been honest that if certain schools are interested in joining they would be open to it.

Thats part of the problem, the narrative continues to be that the B12 somehow is to blame for destroying the Pac, and that the B10 is totally innocent, when it is jut not the case. If anything the B10 is who started it, and who destroyed the Pac, the B12 just provided a landing spot for the others of value, after the B10 gutted it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The idea that it will never happen when many schools have been or still are at a lower payment, is a bit over optimistic.

It would not take much for them to move to a permanent uneven revenue model. Nebraska just got a full share in the last few years, after how long? Maryland and Rutgers are still reduced after how long? Oregon and Washington are extremely reduced....for how long? I am not even sure they have an end date. I believe the speculation/hope is they will get a full share or possibly just an increase in the next contract.

I hate to say it but in the future the only hope for some teams to stay in the B1G may be to take a reduced share. The big boys are happy to give everyone the same...minus any new teams, as long as they keep getting a huge bump in pay at every contract. But what happens when those huge bumps start to disappear. Disney, ESPN, Fox etc are struggling with money, They are trying to back out of some contracts. They are making back door out clauses in contracts. Some day it might come that the B1G gets little to no bump in their media contract, possibly even a reduction. The schools at the top may not want to take that hit, they may say we bring all the value and Northwestern doesnt. At which point they might say take a reduced share or go somewhere else.

Not saying it WILL happen, but I would not say it will NEVER happen.
Maryland is getting a full share now I believe, Rutgers isn’t until 2027 as they got a huge loan that they needed. No idea about the PNW schools as that hasn’t been fully fleshed out yet.

They won’t move to an uneven revenue model as that is shown to cause chaos and instability. When you only see something fail why would you do it? Michigan would never push for it, neither would any other school when your already making more then any other conference.

Again, I can’t prove my thoughts on this right and you can’t prove it’s wrong. 10 years from now I’m guess our stances would be the exact same if nothing major happened.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I have no clue who initiated it, whether it was the conference, FOX, the schools. All that was reported was that the schools reached out, but them quietly being coaxed by FOX to do so is pretty believable. And the "why" isn't that hard to figure out... the PAC was in the midst of a complete clusterfuk of media negotiations and a couple of bluebloods didn't like the idea of falling behind the rest of the country by tens of millions of dollars annually.
They have to say that.

Because if they say that the B1G initiated the conversation, it would open the B1G up to lawsuits from the Pac.

That has been reported on several times. If the B1G admitted to reaching out first they would be in serious legal trouble. So of course they are going to say the schools initiated the conversation and of course the schools are going to say it too, to protect their new conference.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I know they reached out to the big ten first and it was believed that they would go to the SEC if the big ten didn’t take them. I don’t know about any SEC and LA schools conversations before that, just know that the thought was they would go there if the big ten passed. They wanted out from the dumpster fire that was the PAC, which once everything came to light makes a lot of sense
If I tell you I slept with Jennifer Love Hewitt, do you "know" I did? Or do you know what I told you?

There is a distinction. The B1G and USCLA are going to say what is best for them and what removes legal liability for them, regardless of how it actually went down.

It is pretty easy to go through back channels to initiate the conversation and gauge each sides interest, before going through official channels. That way each side has plausible deniability.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If I tell you I slept with Jennifer Love Hewitt, do you "know" I did? Or do you know what I told you?

There is a distinction. The B1G and USCLA are going to say what is best for them and what removes legal liability for them, regardless of how it actually went down.

It is pretty easy to go through back channels to initiate the conversation and gauge each sides interest, before going through official channels. That way each side has plausible deniability.
People keep throwing around that it would open up a lawsuit but just like with OUT those suits never come to fruition. If every party says USC approached first trying to say otherwise to fit your narrative is wild.

If you, JLH and her publicist plus all the media reported that you slept with her then yeah I would believe ya and say kudos

Reactions: agentbear

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
People keep throwing around that it would open up a lawsuit but just like with OUT those suits never come to fruition. If every party says USC approached first trying to say otherwise to fit your narrative is wild.

If you, JLH and her publicist plus all the media reported that you slept with her then yeah I would believe ya and say kudos
OuT, out of compliance stayed until they had a window to negotiate their way out of penalties. So, no lawsuit, but an admission of some sorts through their actions.
And rewinding a bit, don't you find it peculiar the L.A. (i.e. the largest market) teams opted out first? My Pac12 inside man also found it particularly suspicious at the time. In all probability, it'd be the smaller, but also successful teams to seek an opt-out path first. Yes. It's my opinion. But, it does seem coincidental. Could still be just that. But, I don't think so.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

The reason her and her publicist would say it is if it was beneficial for them to say so too. Maybe she just doesnt want to kiss and tell.....:cool:

It is beneficial for both sides to say a certain way that it happened with the USCLA to B1G.

Just because the lawsuits have not happened doesnt mean they would ever purposely say something that would open the possibility up for said lawsuit. That would make no sense and be a really poor decision by both sides.

Again, I am sure it all was handled by back channels to allow for deniability first anyway. With that I dont exactly agree that the B1G is totally innocent in any of this, the narrative that they are is just as wild.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

I think it’s a little naive to think the little ol big ten just happened to get two programs fall in their lap that just happened to increase their media deal. You don’t think there is a reason that they are the only two teams out of the 7 to get full share right away?

As soon as ESPN hitched their wagon to the SEC and the Fox did the same with the Big 10 they started calling the shots along side the conferences.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think it’s a little naive to think the little ol big ten just happened to get two programs fall in their lap that just happened to increase their media deal. You don’t think there is a reason that they are the only two teams out of the 7 to get full share right away?

As soon as ESPN hitched their wagon to the SEC and the Fox did the same with the Big 10 they started calling the shots along side the conferences.
They got the full share due to the media deal being negotiated at the same time, also they carried way more value then any of the other expansion teams joining the big ten

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
OuT, out of compliance stayed until they had a window to negotiate their way out of penalties. So, no lawsuit, but an admission of some sorts through their actions.
And rewinding a bit, don't you find it peculiar the L.A. (i.e. the largest market) teams opted out first? My Pac12 inside man also found it particularly suspicious at the time. In all probability, it'd be the smaller, but also successful teams to seek an opt-out path first. Yes. It's my opinion. But, it does seem coincidental. Could still be just that. But, I don't think so.
The smaller and less successful teams didn’t carry any value. If Washington and Oregon wanted out first they would just have been told no or possibly get the deal they got. Remember the pac couldn’t get a deal on the table before LA left, as this board stated repeatedly no one watched their games and the conference had minimal value. Makes perfect sense that the teams in the largest market (epically debt ridden UCLA) would be looking to get out.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

giphy.gif

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I think what you are missing is, the Big 10 claims that they did nothing to make it happen. They are pretending they are perfectly innocent like they always do.

The Big 12 has never claimed that it was not actively seeking new members. The B12 has always been honest that if certain schools are interested in joining they would be open to it.

Thats part of the problem, the narrative continues to be that the B12 somehow is to blame for destroying the Pac, and that the B10 is totally innocent, when it is jut not the case. If anything the B10 is who started it, and who destroyed the Pac, the B12 just provided a landing spot for the others of value, after the B10 gutted it.
Agreed. One conference joined an alliance and one said they were open for business. B12 was more transparent and the big ten stabbed the pac in the back.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I have literally never heard that narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: 2speedy1

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Straight from Yormark... 365 sports 30 min interview. Talks about realignment football, basketball, etc.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I have literally never heard that narrative.
I personally couldn’t care less about these peoples opinions, but IMO a lot of PAC12 mouthpieces were blasting the big 12 rather than B10. I think if you asked a Utah fan on Twitter or Reddit they would say B12 is to blame for the holocaust