Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Anyone remember an article from about 4-5 years ago where they discussed the possibility of Arizona schools joining Big 12? I can’t find it.
I recall reading something earlier this year that TT & Arizona were in same conference for a long time before/after WWII.

So there was excitement in renewing the rivalry.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Is there a way to do this **** with more than 3 protected rivals? I want KU, KSU, Cincy, WVU, and Okie State all year.

The rest can take their $31 million and **** right off

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Whoa.

Is this **** true???
Wait until Washington and Oregon start (if) outperforming 12 other schools in that conference. Do you think The Oregon Nikes are going to put up with getting into the playoffs and taking home 1/3 of what Rutgers is bringing home? I get they don't have any power, but reap what you sew, this could get interesting if the Ducks and Nike Money start trying to throw some weight around.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
There are many ways you can do a schedule with 16 schools, some easier than others. The easiest with a 9-game FB schedule would be 3 protected rivals, then you play everyone else once every 2 years. For BB, you would still have the 3 protected rivals, and then play everyone else once = 18 games. And yes, this would mean PODS.

Again, lots of different ways you can schedule, but the numbers don't work out well with many different combinations if you are trying for some semblance of scheduling equality. The other "easiest" way is two 8-team divisions, but that is really just two separate conferences with a "non-con" scheduling agreement. Play the other 7 in your division, then play 2 in the other division. You'd only see those teams every 4 years, only every 8 years at your place. Basketball doesn't really work well with that setup, you would only have 4 games left each year against the other 8 schools.
IMG_20230803_205829.gif

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Not really. From a fan interest standpoint CSU isn’t even a mediocre G5.

But of course OSU and WSU shouldn’t happen. Hey, you know that league that couldn’t get a passable media deal when they still had Washington and Oregon? Yeah, let’s add the two lowest value brands in that league and see what happens.

People need to stop comparing ISU to them. In the eyes of national people that still think it’s 2010, sure. But in a world where value requires eyeballs and fans willing to proactively seek out content, a historically dog crap program drawing 50k plus even in disappointing seasons, can get more viewers vs Okie State head to head cs Notre Dame vs Pitt, and travels like they do to bowls looks pretty solid.
It's amazing the "Oh woe me attitude" and how a lot of people on this board compare us to Washington State and Oregon State. Other than being land grant schools, we have very little in common with them when you look at the total picture. Please quit comparing ourselves to them.

• Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wow, thats a hell of a discount. Less than the Big12 for a couple years.
Maybe not. These contracts can be hard to follow because the amounts thrown out are an annual average over the contract.

The link said ORWA was starting out at $30M for 2024/25FY.

Meanwhile the Big12's extension at $31.7M could be an average over the 6 years from FY 25/26 to 30/31. So the Big12's deal might be:

2026- $27M
2027- $29M
2028- $31M
2029- $33M
2030- $35M
2031- $37M

Avg around $32M

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Wait until Washington and Oregon start (if) outperforming 12 other schools in that conference. Do you think The Oregon Nikes are going to put up with getting into the playoffs and taking home 1/3 of what Rutgers is bringing home? I get they don't have any power, but reap what you sew, this could get interesting if the Ducks and Nike Money start trying to throw some weight around.
That would be funny.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Not really. From a fan interest standpoint CSU isn’t even a mediocre G5.

But of course OSU and WSU shouldn’t happen. Hey, you know that league that couldn’t get a passable media deal when they still had Washington and Oregon? Yeah, let’s add the two lowest value brands in that league and see what happens.

People need to stop comparing ISU to them. In the eyes of national people that still think it’s 2010, sure. But in a world where value requires eyeballs and fans willing to proactively seek out content, a historically dog crap program drawing 50k plus even in disappointing seasons, can get more viewers vs Okie State head to head cs Notre Dame vs Pitt, and travels like they do to bowls looks pretty solid.
Well stated.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Yeah you think it's cutthroat on the athletics side. Those nerds are ruthless.
Exactly, it's not like getting into the Big 10 suddenly opens the door to Michigan's research dollars. That is my point, getting into the Big 10 doesn't mean suddenly we start sharing research money.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I’ve had them as 99% MWC for a while. Wash/Ore made it 100%.

They join USF and UConn as demoted from power conference status…although much more tragic because of 80ish years of history w Pac rivals.
While TCU and Houston found their way back home, Rice and SMU are still in the desert after once being in the SWC and unceremoniously demoted when the Big Xii originally formed.