Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
i think ISU fans know where we stand in overall P5 rankings. when been kicked in nuts as much as us we are well aware of reality. in the 50-55 range out of the 69 P5 teams. in terms of "value" of our athletics and history and geographic location. our fan following is probably more like top 40 for football and top 20 for basketball, which is the impressive part.

other teams like Eastern Iowa Chicago Wanna Be's might find a heavy dose of reality not getting the cupcake schedule anymore and schedules being much more evenly distributed across the country for strength of schedule.

let's face it there just aren't any midwest "huge" programs that impact any of this realignment stuff, honestly.

Iowa, ISU, Neb, Minn, Wisc, Ill, Mizz, KU, KSt.....none of the top 10 programs TV $ cares about.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
OMG! I wonder if that is real?

You see, I live in MO, and pretty much think that fireworks are:
A waste of money. Stupid. Dangerous. Disrespectful (noise, dogs, Vets). Yet our State allows them.

And this is what could happen. Sheesh! The only thing better here, would be if their van caught on fire, blew up, then their house burned down. The fire Dept was then called to put it out and lost a man!

Totally makes sense. Sorry for the rant.
Hah! Same here, I live in suburban KC, the fireworks for an entire week, every night, surrounding the 4th, it's the biggest PITA with living here. Overall a huge thumbs up, but if I could take vacation and get away that week each year, I would.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
A 20 team conference is actually super easy for scheduling purposes. For football you have two divisions and play the other 9 teams in your division plus your 3 non-con games. Division winners play for the title. You just have to balance the divisions by talent and not by geography. For basketball no divisions and everyone plays everybody else once.
Well that’s just two separate conferences with extra work.

For football anyway. Not ever having a home-and-home with a conference mate in basketball is pretty crappy, too.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
I have lived in the Phoenix area since 1992. After the Rose Bowl season of 1996, national and local media constantly talked about the "sleeping giant" of ASU football and that they could be the west coast version of Florida State. ASU has never been back to the Rose Bowl and their record since '96 is 171-145 (.541), pretty mediocre. There is simply no excuse why they have not become a consistent Top 25 team at the very least. Arizona has become a great recruiting state and is nestled between talent rich California and Texas. And with the "talent" of the student body, I don't see how they don't consistently get Top 15 or Top 20 recruiting classes.
When I retire, I dream of opening a strip club on Mill Avenue. Or maybe just becoming a hobo living on the streets of Mill Avenue, haven't decided yet.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
There is a standoff . No one wants to be the slayer of the Pac12. After tomorrow the Apple offer is cancelled, so then it’s open season. B12 takes AZ. B1G takes WAOR. B12 takes ASU-UU . Iterative dismantle . No one is the villain that way. Both conferences get 4 teams.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
My humble opinion, we take Arizona and stand pat at 14. I don't see how duplicate schools in AZ and Utah add any real value.

Wait for the ACC to blow up and grab some of those schools.
My other humble opinion, the PAC 12 will survive this round of realignment. Simply because they have A5 status and good bowl tie-ins.

Just like what we did to the AAC, they will cherry puck from the Mountain West conference.

It gets really easy if they agree to take 6 schools. Those schools would then have a majority vote in the MWC to set exit fees or dissolve the conference.

*This is what A5 means. It was a key leverage point in getting schools from the AAC to join the Big XII instead of the AAC gutting the Big XII.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CYedUp