RB Eli Sanders, how good can he be?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think Sanders will give Brock a run for his money, but Brock will probably start. It might be similar to when Hall was a freshman when Johnnie Lang and/or Nwangwu and even Sheldon Croney played or started before Hall for the first few games, but then Hall took over as starter about 4 games in. I fully expect Sanders to be starting by the end of the season. Sanders has run a 10.7 100 meters, so maybe it will be a bit of a thunder and lightning situation between he and Brock. If I had to chose between a speed back and a power back, everything else being equal, I'd go with speed every time.
Just give me the best of both worlds. I'll take a Derek Henry type on my team any day

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just give me the best of both worlds. I'll take a Derek Henry type on my team any day
Derek Henry = Eric Dickerson? Is that a fair assessment? If you're old enough to remember, Dickerson was a stud also.

What you are trying to say with a guy like Henry:
Barry Sanders + Herschel Walker ?

I'd take one of those guys also! Make that two of those guys! LOL.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jim
Derek Henry = Eric Dickerson? Is that a fair assessment? If you're old enough to remember, Dickerson was a stud also.

What you are trying to say with a guy like Henry:
Barry Sanders + Herschel Walker ?

I'd take one of those guys also! Make that two of those guys! LOL.
Jim Brown but faster.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I see both sides here. Here’s my perfect dream scenario:

2021: Breece once again dominates and becomes our first 1st round selection in nearly half a century. But also gets more relief as Jirehl takes on more significant carries and becomes an effective change of pace. Sanders in his freshman year gets a few carries and shows promise when getting them.

2022: Breece declares early. Leaving Brock to finally get the spotlight as RB1. Brock thrives in his senior year, becomes a draftable NFL RB, cementing us as an RB factory with 4 RB’s drafted over a 5 year span. Eli Sanders also takes on more significant reps as a change of pace back, and ultimately becomes our lead back in 2023.

Unless Breece runs for 1800 yards and a couple dozen TDs, ISU's next 1st rounder will be a lineman. The NFL has figured out they can get good running backs later in the draft, so unless a player is head and shoulders above the rest, it's less likely they get picked early.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Unless Breece runs for 1800 yards and a couple dozen TDs, ISU's next 1st rounder will be a lineman. The NFL has figured out they can get good running backs later in the draft, so unless a player is head and shoulders above the rest, it's less likely they get picked early.
I think you're absolutely right but I do think Breece is special.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

yes, agree. RBs just don’t get picked in the 1st much.

I believe McDonald is the most likely player to break the first Rnd drought next year. He would have to have a great year, but if the weight gain numbers are accurate, hopefully he will be close to 250 by the season… could be a monster next year.

Reactions: t-noah

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

A lot of draft projections disagree, majority have him a late first rounder, Dolphins have been the team mentioned most often.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I feel like Eli Sanders will be our starting KR as soon as this season. Doubt he gets many carries in 21. I would guess that 22 Brock will start and see a majority of the carries, but Sanders and Silas will get some. The key will be if they can develop a role. Are they good blockers? Can they run routes and catch? Brock will need some help.

Reactions: t-noah

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
It is kinda fun to look back and be like “how are we going to replace freshman all American mike Warren with a better person?” Then brought in a future starting NFL running back. Then said “how are we going to replace nfl starting running back David Montgomery?” And brought in a likely Heisman candidate and another NFL draft pick in Kene. And now we’re talking about how we’re going to replace that. Brock has some big shoes to fill.
Man, I completely forgot about Mike Warren.

Clearly Montgomery won out for the job. But I can’t for the life of me figure out what happened to him. Did he get hurt?
Saw two RB’s drafted in round one last year. It’s still common to take one late in the round. It’s just becoming rare for teams To consider taking one in the top 10-15 anymore due to the lessened value.

If he cements himself as RB1 in this next year’s draft class, it’s absolutely possible he sneaks into the first.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Man, I completely forgot about Mike Warren.

Clearly Montgomery won out for the job. But I can’t for the life of me figure out what happened to him. Did he get hurt?

Saw two RB’s drafted in round one last year. It’s still common to take one late in the round. It’s just becoming rare for teams To consider taking one in the top 10-15 anymore due to the lessened value.
Warren had more fumbles in one game than Monty probably had in his whole career. That was one major downfall for him. Loved the kid, but he couldn’t hold tight to the ball.
If he cements himself as RB1 in this next year’s draft class, it’s absolutely possible he sneaks into the first.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron